goonbrain
Le Samourai
Motogp69
Dante
BarrileteCosmico
36 posters

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 28 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by M99 Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Why most people are thinking that Arianne and Quentyn are being cut is because Tystane is described as the HEIR to Dorne. Arriane and Quentyn and both older than him so unless HBO made a mistake, either Arianne and Quentyn are cut or they will be younger than Trystane which makes no bloody sense. And as for Aegon and JonCon this is specualtion because it is implied that the Golden Company is with Stannis in the show. I personally think they will show up.

I'm calm about the Greyjoys. Shooting in Spain  begins very soon so they cast the Martells early to get the Dorne storyline going. Euron like Aegon is too integral to the plot to not be introduced IMO.

M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 28 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by Dante Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:51 pm

i read the concerns yes. Not sure what to say about that. I doubt it's a mistake tbh. The thing is , i can see Quentyn being cut.. but Arianne too? That really doesn't make sense.

Maybe they will introduce a new plot where Quentyn and Arianne exist in the show , but for some reason they are mia ? So that makes Trystane the 'heir'.. for now .

Something like that anyway. Tbh , not too sure if i even care about Quentyn and Arianne being cut. Really. I care a lot more about the Greyjoy brothers although like i said , i expect to see them too. I think there's no good way they cut them off .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 pm

Dante wrote:
http://www.zap2it.com/videos/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-winds-of-winter-jeyne-westerling-prologue-258382

Also....it might be nothing , but. He says "concentrate on finishing the book"
It better be finishing by this stage. It will already be 4 years by 2015.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Interesting. Tyrion says on season 2 that Myrcella will be betrothed to the YOUNGEST Martell son so either HBO made a mistake in Trystane's character description or we will have a minor continuity error hmm
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:43 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Dante wrote:
http://www.zap2it.com/videos/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martin-winds-of-winter-jeyne-westerling-prologue-258382

Yes , it better be. His words are always precise and calculated , it's difficult to believe that was nothing , especially when he was quite bold in his statement. He was talking about WoW there , i'm certain he was careful enough with his words. By finishing , well that means he has done real progress by now .

Assuming he was true to his word when he said WoW does not require nearly as much as rewriting and all the problems he had with DwD , i'd say that finishing is in fact great news tbh. Let's hope . This is the only book i had to wait so far and it's already frustrating.. i simply cannot imagine how frustrating all the wait between books has been for you BC Laughing
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:44 pm

M99 wrote:Interesting. Tyrion says on season 2 that Myrcella will be betrothed to the YOUNGEST Martell son so either HBO made a mistake in Trystane's character description or we will have a minor continuity error hmm

minor continuity error? sorry i don't follow for some reason Proud
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 am

M99 wrote:Trystane Martell is described as Doran Martell's son and the heir to Dorne so it looks pretty likely that Arianne and Quentyn are getting cut unless HBO made a mistake. I thought they would not cut Arianne since she was integral to the plot and looks likely to marry Aegon but now I feel like earlier speculation of Aegon and Jon Connington being cut may be proven right after all. The speculation began when it was implied in the show that Stannis hires the Golden Company with his funds from the Iron Bank.

There were reports that deviation from the book would get larger and larger. Two audition tapes revealed a huge change from the book. MASSIVE SPOILERS, you have been warned.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Dante wrote:

update : http://www.accesshollywood.com/george-rr-martins-theory-on-why-the-queen-didnt-sit-on-the-game-of-thrones-iron-throne_article_97106

He's cautiously optimistic about the next book . This subtly undermines he has done significant work as of now , as to deem the book close to finishing , which confirms my original post on the matter . Unsurprisingly however , he's quick to point out how things turned out with some past books , so even though he is indeed optimistic and surprisingly bold in his statement about the winds of winter , this is by no means confirmation .

Despite that part , you ask me this is great news . Trully great news. He even mentions how he might write an ep for season 6 ; if the book is done and out by then . Well , that means the book may or may not be done before the next season airs .

Martin pls get in there ffs m8 , we cant w8 m8 Proud
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Maisie Williams Calls Out 'Snobby' 'Game Of Thrones' Book Readers

That was a massive deal, but honestly, I really like it. I’m so sick of going on the Internet and seeing all the book readers being snobby, spoiling it for other people, then saying, 'Well, it’s not a spoiler. The books have been out for years.' Like, couldn’t you just stop being mad for a second and let other people enjoy the show?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/31/maisie-williams-snobby-game-of-thrones_n_5638332.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

smh
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Well, she is right to call out the plebs who spoil it for others and then say "the book came out 10 years ago hurrr durrr"
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 pm

She shouldn't have generalise though.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:55 am

lmao..... from reddit . Sandor's part , i died

francisflute wrote:All seems lost as Jon lays bleeding in the snow, surrounded by traitors and cold.
As the cold grew stronger, the traitors realize something is off - it's TOO cold. The Others attack in force. Ghost, being warged by Jon, defends his body while Melisandre performs a last-minute ritual to revive him. She kills Shireen as sacrifice and breathes fire into Jon's mouth, and he rises up, but not before avenging Shireen by plunging Longclaw into Melisandre's heart. Longclaw bursts into flame, revealing Jon Snow as Azor Ahai reborn.
Meanwhile Stannis's forces smash the Boltons at Winterfell. Just as Stannis revels in his victory, Wyman Manderly buries a hatchet in his back and the northerners defeat the rest of Stannis's host. With the Boltons defeated and on the run, it is time to implement the Grand Northern Conspiracy. The northmen head to the Wall where they find Azor Jonhai leading a repentant Night's Watch against the Others. "Not yet, Jon," they say, "There's still plots to be twisted." They convince Jon to abandon the Night's Watch and head south with them, letting the Wall hold the Others back for now.
Danaerys returns with her Dothraki hordes and burns Meereen to the ground atop Drogon. Tyrion hops onto Rhaegal and becomes the first dwarf dragonrider. Victarion, Jorah, Barristan, Tyrion, Penny, and Daario bow down to their Queen, standing on the shore between a salty sea and a smoking city, and Moqorro reveals her as Azor Ahai reborn.
On their way to Westeros, Tyrion becomes suspicious of Daario, thinking he's seen him elsewhere before. As they pass the Smoking Sea, Tyrion realizes that he has met this man once before, while taking a piss off the edge of the world. "I know this man," he tells Dany. "This is Benjen Stark of the Night's Watch." Benjen reveals that he came to Dany knowing she was Azor Ahai, and wanted to bring her to the Wall to fight the Others. Dany declares that she must take her kingdom back first.
Victarion and Dany both decide it is important to sail the Smoking Sea - Dany for knowledge of her ancestors, and Victarion because *bleep* yeah, Victarion. They stop at one of the ruins to explore. They find Brightroar, which Dany gives to Jorah, much to Tyrion's dismay. Tyrion argues that he deserves a Lannister sword, but Dany quiets him by telling him he is not a Lannister. Dany reveals that his face is like her father's face, and his dark eye and his pale hair give him away as a secret Targaryen.
Before they leave the Smoking Sea, Victarion proposes marriage to Dany. She agrees, deciding that she needs his army and *bleep* yeah, Victarion. However, in the night, Benjen/Daario murders Victarion, throwing him overboard - but not before revealing that he's being warged by Euron.
Meanwhile, in King's Landing, Cersei watches Ser Robert Strong step forth to defent her in her trial by combat. She looks to see what weakling dare challenge this giant - and sees a similarly large man step forward, a hood over his head and a limp in his step. The man walks into the center of the pit, draws his sword and whispers, "*bleep* confirmed. Get hype." Robert Strong attacks, throwing the Gravedigger back, but his younger brother comes in at a low angle and knocks him over. Robert Strong's helmet rolls away, revealing a sick conglomeration of King Robert's head, Robb's head, Joffrey's head, the Mountain's head, and nothing at all. The High Septon denounces this as treachery and sorcery, and demands Cersei be executed on the spot.
At that moment, however, a man steps forth from the audience. "I know you!" he says. "You were at the Tourney of Harrenhal, many years before. You were beaten by squires and defended by the Knight of the Laughing Tree, who is really Lyanna." The High Septon scoffs. "You don't know me, he says." "Yes I do," the man replies. "You're Howland Reed." The crowd goes into an uproar, though they don't know who this is, and Reed runs out of the courtroom, shouting mystically "R+L=J!"
Azor Jonhai's army marches south, passing by a disguised Bolton family. Roose first kills Walda for food (it's cold and there aren't any animals around), and in the night Ramsay decides to do the same to him. Ramsay stabs Roose, but finds that the dagger shatters instead of killing. Roose laughs, and peels off his skin, revealing himself as a half-human, half-Other combination. He skins Ramsay alive before going north to meet the Others, who have breached the Wall. Roose tells them of all the happenings south of the Wall. The Night's King looks at him, says "The *bleep*'s wrong with you, man?" and kills him on the spot.
Dany and her army attack Westeros starting from Dorne, but find that the Martells will not join her - they've already chosen Aegon Targaryen. Just as Arianne and Aegon marry, however, Aegon pulls out Blackfyre and says, "Psyche! I'm not a Targaryen at all!" A Dance of Dragons breaks out, which ends promptly with Aegon getting incinerated by all Dany on Drogon, Tyrion on Rhaegal, and Bran warging Viserion. Euron/Benjen/Daario tries to warg Viserion as well, encountering Bran and Bloodraven. They form an eternal hive mind together, and make a movie about it titled "Being Brynden Rivers."
Lady Stoneheart orders Brienne to kill Jaime. Brienne and Jaime fight, but Brienne decides that she cannot stand to kill Jaime and swings her sword at Lady Stoneheart instead. Her sword pierces Stoneheart's stone heart, and bursts into flames, revealing Brienne as Azor Ahai reborn. Jaime, however, cannot stop the swing of his sword, which plunges into Brienne's heart before bursting into flames and revealing Jaime Lannister as Azor Ahai reborn.
Azor Jonhai's army reaches the Twins, and demands passage, which Walder Frey refuses. Suddenly Nymeria, being warged by Arya, and her pack invade the Twins and murder all the Freys, letting the northerners through.
Dany marches on King's Landing, which Cersei has somehow taken control of again. Jaime arrives at the same time, as does Azor Jonhai's army of warriors. Jonhai hears about Howland Reed shouting "R+L=J" and realizes he forgot to check the crypts in Winterfell. "BRB" he says, running north, looking in the crypts, and finding Rhaegar's harp as well as a wedding photo album. Jonhai runs back and proclaims "I'm a secret Targaryen!" Tyrion runs to his nephew, embracing him, saying, "I'm a secret Targ too!" Jaime sees this and starts fitting together the pieces - the incest, the madness... "Cersei and I are also secret Targs!" he shouts.
Dany can take no more of this. "Too many Targs!" she screams. "Kill them all!" Jorah and Barristan both realize that she has gone mad. The each step forward to kill her, and start fighting over who should do it. "I'll become Ajorah Ahai," Jorah says, while Barristan proclaims, "I need the dramatic irony!" Jorah slays Barristan and then Dany with Brightroar, which bursts into flame, revealing him as Ajorah Ahai.
"Wait," Jonhai says. "Ajorah, I have the Mormont sword. Jaime, you have the Stark sword. Ajorah has the Lannister sword. Before we start fighting, wanna trade?" They awkwardly exchange swords. "Now," Jon says. "My terms are simple. We gotta fight the Others." "My terms are simple," shouts Cersei from King's Landing, "go *bleep* yourselves." Ajorah and Jaime look around awkwardly because they have no direction in life.
"Wait, what about us?" ask Sansa and Arya and Rickon and Davos.
The Others march onto King's Landing, surrounding everyone. The Night's King walks forth as an emissary.
"Y'know, we're not that bad," he says. "I mean, yeah, we're killing people, but everyone does that these days. We actually have reasons. *bleep*, you guys have been burning the Riverlands for no *bleep* reason at all. You torture people constantly. We sent Roose down here to watch y'all and somehow he turned into a psychopath. What the hell is your problem?" The humans look at each other awkwardly without any good answer. The Night's King shakes his head. "I was just gonna tell y'all to just put a *bleep* Stark back in Winterfell again, but somehow I doubt you can even do that correctly. Night's King out."
Cersei watches the Others march away, heading back north. She yells out the window, "But what about the Valonqar?" Tyrion, Jaime, Sandor Clegane, and all the Second Sons look at each other, shrug, and all run up into the Red Keep to kill Cersei. Cersei gives a nod to Qyburn, who ignites the wildfire reserves and kills everyone.
EDIT: Forgot the most important part, where Varys, Illyrio, and Ser Mandon Moore arise from the ocean with their merling armies. Oh well.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:40 am

Dante wrote:lmao..... from reddit . Sandor's part , i died

francisflute wrote:The man walks into the center of the pit, draws his sword and whispers, "*bleep* confirmed. Get hype."

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:49 am

Is'nt that from the what if every fan theory came true thread Laughing

Another gem. This is from the thread what could be the most shocking and ironic plot twitst in The Winds Of Winter.

Darkstar learns that he is of the day

rofl
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 am

M99 wrote:Well, she is right to call out the plebs who spoil it for others and then say "the book came out 10 years ago hurrr durrr"

She's referring to a tiny minority and ignoring the fact that the majority of occasions upon which people come across spoilers is in the week following an episode is released because show watchers begin discussing the episode on facebook and twitter immediately and give no one else time to catch up and watch.

All of the Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, Oberyn vs the Mountain and Tyrion vs Tywin were essentially kept quiet by book readers for years, yet most show watchers couldn't wait 48 hours after seeing it. To highlight a small percentage of book readers and criticise such a well behaved fan base smacks of an angsty, anti-elitist post into which barely any thought was poured.

Basically, a young girl made a post on the internet she barely thought through and got attention because of who she is. Great actor, will come to her senses later :coffee:
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 am

"Jaime Lannister sends his regards," the man in the pink cloak said, and drew back his longsword for the killing strike. In an instant, before Catelyn could even cry out, a loud bang echoed throughout the hall, and the man in pink staggered and fell backwards. Her son stood holding a smoking dagger waist high - only, it wasn't a dagger. The shape is all wrong. He pointed the blade, a round thing with a hollow at the end, but the next bang was so loud that Catelyn winced and could not clearly see what was happening. Amazingly, the Late Walder Frey's head seemed to have...exploded, as if a spear fired from a ballista struck him directly in the forehead. Whatever magic had happened here, old Walder was certainly dead, a greasy splatter of bone and brain evidence of its lethality.

The false singers froze in stunned silence, but the King moved quick as lightning, dashing to the right and pointing his weapon at the nearest Frey man-at-arms. Bang, the knife spoke for him, bang bang bang and two more men dropped dead. Someone screamed and the trance finally broke. A few still-living men wearing the cloaks of the Direwolves scrambled to retrieve weapons from the new corpses as Robb marched with one mind towards the rest of the Frey host.

"Robb!" Catelyn shouted, but if her son heard her he paid no heed. The crossbowmen above began cranking their weapons as if they had only now realized their potency, but Robb saw them and directed his sorcery at two before they could draw a proper aim. The sound seemed duller now, perhaps because the other men fighting drowned it out or perhaps because of the beating of Catelyn's own heart, but at any rate the fighting was not over and the knife Catelyn held seemed wholly inadequate compared to whatever weapon Robb had found. I need to do something.

As if he heard her thoughts, Robb turned suddenly towards her, drew another identical hunk of steel from a strange type of leather sheath under his coat, and flung it towards his mother. Catelyn snatched the device out of the air and without thinking, without planning, as if she was born to it, pointed the business end at Lame Lothar's astonished face. She wasn't ready for the power it unleashed the first time, but she kept her grip, and the second time was much easier. Third, fourth, fifth, the rest were a blur, and she found the slaughter so trivial that the hardest part was picking a target with the twin towers of Frey embroidered on his cloak.

Eventually the magic seemed to run its course and the weapon functioned no longer, but it was more than enough. She saw Robb remove part of his own device and replace it with an identical piece of steel - more fuel, she reckoned - and noticed, finally, that there weren't any standing targets left. Several Freys crawled across the floor, moaning and begging for mercy, blood trails leading from holes in their armor to bloody splatters on the wall where they had once stood. She realized finally that the man in pink was none other than Roose Bolton, and that he was one of the crawlers. It seemed that the full impact of the weapon punched a hole straight through his stomach, leaving his legs dead and useless.

For the first time Catelyn felt the burning pain in her body where the arrows had earlier struck, but it seemed a mere nuisance against the exhilarating power she held in her hands. What is this, she wondered, and she knew the Old Gods had truly chosen her son for greatness. The Children were once said to have used a weapon to shatter the Arm of Dorne into a thousand islands, and perhaps only now they had forged these gifts to drive the Andals out of their lands once and for all.

Robb seemed to feel the agony of battle for a moment, but he shook it off and assessed the situation. He ignored the corpse of Walder Frey and slowly approached the Leech Lord's slumped figure. Only now did Catelyn hear Bolton's strange stammering and see him clawing uselessly at his face, as if to tear it off.

"Why now...why now..." he went on and on, not seeing the two of them or the Stark men searching their own for survivors, or anything at all. "Why now, after thousands of years? They were gone, thousands of years, there were none left, I won, all gone, how, I won..."

Robb pressed the hollow of the weapon to Roose's head. "Regard this."
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:48 pm

M99 wrote:Is'nt that from the what if every fan theory came true thread Laughing

Another gem. This is from the thread what could be the most shocking and ironic plot twitst in The Winds Of Winter.

Darkstar learns that he is of the day

rofl

Laughing

forgot to post the link , yeah it's from that thread

such a brilliant post , hilarious stuff .. it's been a while i read something this funny about asoiaf Laughing

so many goat lines..

_____

Robb pressed the hollow of the weapon to Roose's head. "Regard this." rofl rofl

Red Wedding The Denial Version Proud
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Wtf did i just read .

Ever wondered what's up with Littlefinger ? 'Only Cat' true love , 'Player of the Game ' , 'Cunning' .. " A spiteful man with vengeful intentions and extremely high ambitions in a feudal system , meant for highborn to shit on the lowborn?  e.t.c ? Still dont fully get what Littlefinger is up to ? Well , had we all read Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights , we would have by now .  

One can talk about parallels and similarities , but really .. it's the same story ; so far at least . I can't help but wonder just how much of this story will change before it all ends . I'd say it definitely will , but not to the point it becomes significantly different. The story unfolds on a bigger scale in Martin's world , but the critical points will reappear if you ask me , this way or the other and that will be , in the end , Martin's verse of the story , his touch . Simply put , we are being told the same story in GRRMs Westeros , with all the ramifications and tastes of Martin's universe . What fascinated me in all of this , was how he basically puts this entire story in his own saga , but making it a sidestory to his own WITHOUT making it poor or meaningless to the reader , with keeping both the Westerosi AND the original basis of the characters , in a vastly bigger and much more complex world , with (obviously) far more characters surrounding , shaping (or what have you) the protagonists of this older story .  

And in the end of this old story , a certain beautiful lady somehow convincingly wraps this story into his own story , a saga who GRRM said had his characters all in one place , then go places , then starting to head back to meet each other ; That he will take advantage of this to brutally kill more than half of them makes no matter to THIS part of the story ; it fits , so ironicaly well after everything that has and should happen , even more so if you remember Sansa's thoughts and feelings about a certain character well familiar to her early in Agot. It's beyond me how he wraps all this shit up and not fail to make us lose interest , quite the opposite happens. With so many stuff into these books , some undeniably far more interesting than the others , Martin succesfully puts in a whole fkn book spreading it all over his books and it stays relevant amongst other things , to the point of confusing readers as to how grand Littlefinger is , or will be before this saga ends. And it's not that all of this is just a side story , in which the 'protagonists' don't particularly affect events. No , all of them are tied into his own world and have actively shaped history , took part in dramatic events and shaped characters , all that in an unfathomable way , unfathomable unless you're GRRM.

No fkn wonder it takes him so much to write these books.

http://www.reddit.com/r/oldgodsandnew/comments/2e98qa/the_literary_inspiration_for_littlefinger/
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Found this review on Goodreads whilst searching for a good book to read , (probably series) . It is a long read and harsh in it's criticism of the books. However , it is surely interesting to read what she has to say . This particular review gave me a lot to think about regarding the books. Obviously , it could never cheapen my passion for these books and the story , but it made me doubt some of the defining characteristics of ASOIAF , such as the death of a character , or the length of the books . This review also partly confirmed , maybe , my thoughts that Martin is way too concerned in shocking his audience. That is something i don't necessarily have any issue with , in fact i enjoy it way too much. But .... she makes a great point why we do see so many deaths of characters . So when you have the time , trust me , it's worth the read. I am particularly interested to see what you think of this , as far as i can see , this Keely makes some really precise points in what she has to say about Martin and Asoiaf. I'd say enjoy , but i doubt you will Laughing .

Keely wrote:There are plenty of fantasy authors who claim to be doing something different with the genre. Ironically, they often write the most predictable books of all, as evidenced by Goodkind and Paolini. Though I'm not sure why they protest so much--predictability is rarely a death sentence in genre fantasy.

The archetypal story of the hero, the villain, the great love, and a world to be saved never seems to get old--and there's nothing wrong with this story when it's told well. At the best, it's exciting, exotic, and builds to a fulfilling climax. At the worst, it's just a bloodless rehash, and the worse are more common by far.

Perhaps it was this wealth of predictable, cliche romances that drove Martin to aim for something 'different'. Unfortunately, being different isn't something you can choose to do, you have to come by it naturally. Sure, Moorcock wrote Elric to be the anti-Conan, but at some point, he had to stretch out and find a core for his series that was more than simply 'this is not Conan'--and he did.

In similar gesture, Martin rejects the moralistic romance of the genre, tearing the guts out of epic fantasy: the fantastical, the romantic ideals, the heroism, and with them, the moral purpose. Fine, so he took out the rollicking fun and the social message--what did he replace them with?

Like the post-Moore comics of the eighties and nineties, fantasy has borne witness to a backlash against the moral hero, and then a backlash against the grim antihero who succeeded him. After all, if all Martin wanted was grim and gritty antiheroes, he didn't have to reject the staples of fantasy, he could have gone to its roots: Howard, Leiber, or Poul Anderson.

Like many authors who try to develop realism, Martin forgets that 'Truth is stranger than Fiction'. The real world is full of strangeness: unbelievable events, coincidences, and odd characters. When authors remove these elements in an attempt to make their world seem realistic, they end up with a fiction duller than reality; after all, unexpected details are the heart of verisimilitude.

When Chekhov and Peake removed the easy thrill of romance from their stories, they replaced it with strange and exciting characters. They wrote things strange enough to seem true. Compared with these authors, Martin's world comes off as dull and gray. Instead of innovating new, radically different elements, he merely removes familiar staples, and any world defined by lack is going to end up feeling rather thin.

However despite trying inject the book with history and realism, he does not reject the melodramatic characterization of his fantasy forefathers, as evidenced by his brooding bastard antihero protagonist (with pet albino wolf). Apparently, his idea of 'grim realism' is similar to 'Draco in Leather Pants'. This causes a central conflict in the story's tone, rather like putting the cast of a soap opera into an existentialist German film.

He also puts in lots of sex and misogyny, and wall-to-wall rape, which isn't necessarily bad, if its handled well. I think books should have sex in them, and shouldn't shy away from any uncomfortable, unpleasant reality of life. The problem is when people who are not comfortable with their own sexuality start writing about it, which seems to be the problem of every mainstream fantasy author.

If an author writing some sex and lets the pen get away from him, his own lack of fulfillment starts leaking into the scene. It's not about the characters anymore, now it's just the author cybering with me about his favorite fetish. I don't want to buy a book just to get lost in someone's squicky fetish. If I cyber with a fat, bearded stranger, I expect to be paid for it.

I know a lot of fans probably get into it more than I do (like how plenty of WOW players enjoy making their female night elf hunters hump each other), but reading Goodkind, Jordan, and Martin--it can be like seeing a Playboy at your uncle's house where all the pages are wrinkled. That's not to say there isn't servicable pop fantasy sex out there--there is, and it's written by women.

Though I didn't save any choice examples from this book, I did come across an article which mentioned this quote, from a later book in the series:
"When she went to the stables, she wore faded sandsilk pants and woven grass sandals. Her small breasts moved freely beneath a painted Dothraki vest . . ."

I can imagine the process, as Martin sits, hands hovering over the keyboard, trying to get inside his character's head:

"Okay, I'm a woman. How do I see and feel the world differently? My cultural role is defined by childbirth. In the process of marriage, I can be bought and sold by my own--Oh, hey! Look at that, I've got tits! Man, look at those things go. *whooshing mammary sound effects* Okay, time to write."

Yet we don't get any descriptions of variously-sized dongs swinging within the confines of absurdly-detailed clothing. We do get a set of giant manboobs--which, as an overweight, elderly man, I assume Martin has some personal experience with--but not until book five, and even then, it's not the dude being hyperaware of his own, secretly moving under his clothes--they're just there to gross out a dwarf. Not really a balanced depiction.

The books are also well known for featuring sudden, apparently pointless deaths, which some suggest is a sign of realism--but, of course, nothing is pointless in fiction, because the author must deliberately decide what to include. Sure, in real life, people will often suddenly die before finishing their life's work (authors of doorstop fantasy series do it all the time), but there's a reason we don't tend to tell stories of people who die unexpectedly in the middle of thing: they are usually boring and pointless. They build up for a while and eventually, lead nowhere.

Novelists often write in isolation, and so it's easy to forget the rule to which playwrights adhere: your story is always a fiction, and any time you ignore that fact and treat it as if it were real, you are working against your own writing. The writing that seems to be the most natural is never effortless, it is carefully and painstakingly constructed to feel natural.

People are often told in entry-level creative writing classes to 'listen to how real people talk, and write like that', which is terrible advice. A transcript of spoken conversation is often so full of repetition, half-thoughts, and non-specific words ('stuff', 'thing') as to be incomprehensible--especially without all of the cues of pattern, tone, and body language. Written communication works very differently, so making dialogue feel like speech is an artificial process. It's the same with sudden character deaths: treat them like a history, and your plot will become just as choppy and hard to follow.

But then, I'm not sure Martin's deaths are truly unpredictable. As in an action film, they are usually a plot convenience: kill off a villain, and you don't have to worry about wrapping up his personal arc. You don't have to defeat him psychologically--the finality of his death is the great equalizer. You don't have to do the hard work of demonstrating that the hero was morally right if he's the only option left.

Likewise, in Martin's book, death ties up loose threads--namely, plot threads. Often, this is the only ending we get to his plot arcs, which makes them rather predictable: any time a character could get enough influence to make things better, or more stable, he will die. Any character who poses a threat to the continuing chaos which drives the plot will first be built up, and then killed off.

I found this interview with Martin to be a particularly telling example of how he thinks of character deaths:
"I killed (view spoiler) because everybody thinks he’s the hero and that, sure, he’s going to get into trouble, but then he’ll somehow get out of it. The next predictable thing [someone] is going to rise up and avenge his [death]. And everybody is going to expect that. So immediately [killing (view spoiler) became the next thing I had to do.

He's not talking about the internal motivations of the characters, or the ideas the characters represent, he's talking about them as tools he can use to shock the audience. But then, the only reason we think these characters are important, the only reason we expect them to succeed is because of how Martin writes them.

He treats them as central, heroic character, spending time and energy on them, but it all ends up being a red herring so he can get rid of them for a cheap twist. It's like the mystery novels of the 70's and 80's where to surprise the audience, the author would add in ghosts or secret twins or a new character in the last chapter--it's only surprising because the author has torn up the structure of their own book, undermining the trust between author and reader.

Like all authors, Martin begins by producing plot arcs that grow and change, providing tension and goals for his characters. Normally, when such arcs come to a close, the author must use all the force of his skill to deal with themes and answer questions, providing a satisfying conclusion to a promising idea that his readers have watched grow.

Or you could just kill off the character central to the conflict and bury the plot arc with him. That way, you never have to worry about closure, you can just hook your readers by crafting a new arc from the chaos caused by the dissolution of the previous build. Start to make the reader believe that things might get better, to believe in a character, then wave your arms in distraction, yell and point, 'look at that terrible thing, over there!', and hope your audience becomes so caught up in worrying about this new problem that they forget that the old one was never actually resolved.

By chaining these false endings together, you can create a perpetual state of tension which never requires solution--this is how most soap operas work--plus, the author never has to do the hard work of finishing what they started. If an author is lucky, they die before reaching the Final Conclusion the readership is always clamoring for, and will never have to worry about meeting the collective expectation which all the long years of deferral have built up. It's easy to idolize Kurt Cobain, because you never had to see him bald and old and crazy like David Lee Roth.

Unlucky authors live to write the Final Book, which will break the spell of continual tension and expectation that kept their readers enthralled. Since the plot has not been tightening into a larger, intertwined conclusion (in fact, it's probably been spiraling out of control), the author must wrap things up conveniently and suddenly, leaving fans confused and upset. And, having thrown out the grand moral story of fantasy, Martin cannot even end on the dazzling trick of the vaguely-spiritual transgressive Death Event on which the great majority of fantasy books rely for a handy tacked-on climax (actually, he'll probably try it anyways, with dragons).

The drawback is that, even if a conclusion gets stuck on at the end, the story fundamentally leads nowhere--it winds back and forth without resolving psychological or tonal arcs. But then, doesn't that sound more like real life? Martin tore out the moralistic heart and magic of fantasy, and in doing so, rejected the notion of grandly realized conclusions. Perhaps we shouldn't compare him to other writers of romance, but to grandly realized Histories.

He asks us to believe in his intrigue, his grimness, and his amoral world of war, power, and death. In short, he is asking us to compare him not to the false Europe of Arthur, Robin Hood, and Orlando, but to the real Europe of plagues, power struggles, religious wars, witch hunts, and roving companies of soldiery forever ravaging the countryside.

Unfortunately, he doesn't compare very well to them, either. His intrigue is not as interesting as Cicero's, Machiavelli's, Enguerrand de Coucy's--or even Sallust's, who was practically writing fiction, anyways. Some might suggest it unfair to compare a piece of fiction to a true history, but those are the same histories that lent Howard, Leiber, and Moorcock their touches of verisimilitude. Martin might have taken a lesson from them and drawn inspiration from further afield: even Tolkien had his Eddas.

More than anything, this book felt like a serial melodrama. It is a story of the hardships of an ensemble cast who we are meant to watch over and sympathize with, being drawn chiefly by emotional appeals (the hope that things will 'get better' in this dark place, 'tragic' deaths), even though these appeals often conflict with the supposed realism, and in the end, there is no grander story to unify the whole. The 'grittiness' is just Martin replacing the standard fantasy theme of 'glory' with one of 'hardship', and despite flipping this switch, it's still just an emotional appeal. 'Heroes always win' is just as boring and predictable as 'heroes always lose'.

It's been suggested that I didn't read enough of Martin to judge him, but if the first four hundred pages aren't good, I don't expect the next thousand will be different. If you combine the three Del Ray collections of Conan The Barbarian stories, you get 1,263 pages (including introductions, end notes, and variant scripts). If you take Martin's first two books in this series, you get 1,504 pages. Already, less than halfway through the series, he's written more than Howard's entire Conan output, and all I can do is ask myself: why does he need that extra length?

Some authors use it to their advantage, but for most, it's just sprawling, undifferentiated bloat. Melodrama can be a great way to mint money, as evidenced by the endless 'variations on a theme' of Soap Operas, Pro Wrestling, Lost, and mainstream superhero comics. Plenty of people enjoy it, but it's neither revolutionary nor realistic.

Some have tried to defend this book by saying "at least Martin isn't as bad as all the drivel that gets published in genre fantasy", but saying "he's better than dreck" is really not very high praise. Others have intimated that I must not like fantasy at all, pointing to my low-star reviews of Martin, Wolfe, Jordan, and Goodkind, but it is precisely because I am passionate about fantasy that I fall heavily on these authors.

A lover of fine wines winces the more when he is given a corked bottle of vinegar, a ballet enthusiast's love of dance would not leave him breathless at a high school competition, and likewise, having learned to appreciate Epics, Histories, the Matter of Europe, Fairy Tales, and their modern offspring, the fantasy genre, I find Martin woefully lacking.

There's plenty of grim fantasy and intrigue out there, from its roots in epic poetry to the Thousand and One Nights to the early fantasies of Eddison, Dunsany, Morris, Macdonald, Haggard, and Kipling. Then there are more modern authors: Poul Anderson, Moorecock, Susanna Clarke, Neil Gaiman, Ray Bradbury, Mervyn Peake, China Mieville, Phillip Pullman, Howard, Lovecraft, and Leiber.

There seems to be a sense that Martin's work is somehow revolutionary, that it represents a 'new direction' for fantasy, but all I see is a reversion. Sure, he's different than Jordan, Goodkind, and their ilk, because they took equal parts Tolkien and Howard, the pseudo-medieval high-magic world from the first and the blood-and-guts heroism from the second. Martin, on the other hand, has more closely followed Tolkien's lead than any other modern high fantasy author--and I don't just mean in terms of Orientalist racism.

Tolkien wanted to make his story 'real'--not 'realistic', by using the various dramatic techniques of literature--but actually real, by trying to create all the detail of a pretend world behind the story. Over the span of the first twenty years, he released The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and other works, while in the twenty years after that, he became so obsessed with worldbuilding for its own sake that instead of writing stories, he filled his shed with a bunch of notes (which his son has been trying unsuccessfully to make a book from ever since).

It's the same thing Martin's trying to do: cover a bland story with a litany of details that don't contribute meaningfully to his characters, plot, or tone. So, if Martin is good because he is different, then it stands to reason that he's not very good, because he's not really very different. He may seem different if all someone has read is Tolkien and the authors who ape his style, but that's just one small corner of a very expansive genre. Anyone who thinks Tolkien is the 'father of fantasy' doesn't know enough about the genre to judge what 'originality' means.

So, if Martin neither an homage nor an original, I'm not sure what's left. In his attempt to set himself apart, he tore out the joyful heart of fantasy, but failed replace it with anything worthwhile. There is no revolutionary voice here, and there is nothing in Martin's book that has not been done better by other authors.

However, there is one thing Martin has done that no other author has been able to do: kill the longrunning High Fantasy series. According to some friends of mine in publishing (and some amusingly on-the-nose remarks by Caleb Carr in an NPR interview), Martin's inability to deliver a book on time, combined with his awful relationship with his publisher means that literary agents are no longer accepting manuscripts for high fantasy series. So it turns out that Martin is so bad at structuring that he actually pre-emptively ruined books by other authors. Perhaps it is true what they say about silver linings . . .

Though I declined to finish this book, I'll leave you with a caution compiled from various respectable friends of mine who did continue on:

"If you need some kind of closure, avoid this series. No arcs will ever be completed, nothing will ever really change. They keep saying 'Winter is Coming', but it's not. As the series goes on, there will be more and more characters and diverging plotlines to keep track of, many of them apparently completely unrelated to each other, even as it increasingly becomes just another cliche, fascist 'chosen one' monomyth, like every other fantasy series out there. If you enjoy a grim, really long soap opera with lots of deaths and constant unresolved tension, pick up the series--otherwise, maybe check out the show."
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:51 pm

" even as it increasingly becomes just another cliche, fascist 'chosen one' monomyth, like every other fantasy series out there."

Wtf did I just read Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:13 pm

This quote was actually a link to this :

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2011/06/30/game-of-thrones-fascism/

i read that too , although it was incredibly boring and too ... how should i put it. Looks through asoiaf with political eyes , like solely? Didn't really agree with most of it tbh.

As for the review , yeah , she's somewhat pretentious , like an apostle of Fantasy Laughing

nevertheless , there are certain points she makes that are at the very least interesting to contemplate. It actually helped me balance my opinion between the , Good vs Evil fantasy and the realistic and grey part of fantasy . Or what Martin did to my thoughts on certain types of story , with expecting characters to die or not to die , depending on who they are and what they are going through. (Not just in books , in movies too lol)

I decided that if it's interesting and well written , i simply don't give a damn anymore . Laughing

Anyhow , you don't agree with the review i presume , lol
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:48 am

I effin hate clickbaits. I saw on Facebook the headline "NEW GAME OF THRONES BOOK RELEASE DATE FINALLY REVEALED- OCTOBER 6TH 2014" and my effin heart literally stopped. After clicking it I see it is The World Of Ice And Fire :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:57 pm

i get you , i fell for it too . I didn't even think , i clicked like a zombie lol

Anyway , i guess you've seen Martin say there will be lots of character deaths in Winds , Povs included . "Take your bets" , well , here's mine.

Povs :

Cersei
Brienne
Victarion
Ser Barristan
Jon Connington
Aeron
Areo
Asha
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:03 am

Dante wrote:Found this review on Goodreads whilst searching for a good book to read , (probably series) . It is a long read and harsh in it's criticism of the books. However , it is surely interesting to read what she has to say . This particular review gave me a lot to think about regarding the books. Obviously , it could never cheapen my passion for these books and the story , but it made me doubt some of the defining characteristics of ASOIAF , such as the death of a character , or the length of the books . This review also partly confirmed , maybe , my thoughts that Martin is way too concerned in shocking his audience. That is something i don't necessarily have any issue with , in fact i enjoy it way too much. But .... she makes a great point why we do see so many deaths of characters . So when you have the time , trust me , it's worth the read. I am particularly interested to see what you think of this , as far as i can see , this Keely makes some really precise points in what she has to say about Martin and Asoiaf. I'd say enjoy , but i doubt you will Laughing .

Keely wrote:There are plenty of fantasy authors who claim to be doing something different with the genre. Ironically, they often write the most predictable books of all, as evidenced by Goodkind and Paolini. Though I'm not sure why they protest so much--predictability is rarely a death sentence in genre fantasy.

The archetypal story of the hero, the villain, the great love, and a world to be saved never seems to get old--and there's nothing wrong with this story when it's told well. At the best, it's exciting, exotic, and builds to a fulfilling climax. At the worst, it's just a bloodless rehash, and the worse are more common by far.

Perhaps it was this wealth of predictable, cliche romances that drove Martin to aim for something 'different'. Unfortunately, being different isn't something you can choose to do, you have to come by it naturally. Sure, Moorcock wrote Elric to be the anti-Conan, but at some point, he had to stretch out and find a core for his series that was more than simply 'this is not Conan'--and he did.

In similar gesture, Martin rejects the moralistic romance of the genre, tearing the guts out of epic fantasy: the fantastical, the romantic ideals, the heroism, and with them, the moral purpose. Fine, so he took out the rollicking fun and the social message--what did he replace them with?

Like the post-Moore comics of the eighties and nineties, fantasy has borne witness to a backlash against the moral hero, and then a backlash against the grim antihero who succeeded him. After all, if all Martin wanted was grim and gritty antiheroes, he didn't have to reject the staples of fantasy, he could have gone to its roots: Howard, Leiber, or Poul Anderson.

Like many authors who try to develop realism, Martin forgets that 'Truth is stranger than Fiction'. The real world is full of strangeness: unbelievable events, coincidences, and odd characters. When authors remove these elements in an attempt to make their world seem realistic, they end up with a fiction duller than reality; after all, unexpected details are the heart of verisimilitude.

When Chekhov and Peake removed the easy thrill of romance from their stories, they replaced it with strange and exciting characters. They wrote things strange enough to seem true. Compared with these authors, Martin's world comes off as dull and gray. Instead of innovating new, radically different elements, he merely removes familiar staples, and any world defined by lack is going to end up feeling rather thin.

However despite trying inject the book with history and realism, he does not reject the melodramatic characterization of his fantasy forefathers, as evidenced by his brooding bastard antihero protagonist (with pet albino wolf). Apparently, his idea of 'grim realism' is similar to 'Draco in Leather Pants'. This causes a central conflict in the story's tone, rather like putting the cast of a soap opera into an existentialist German film.

This point could form the basis of an interesting argument, however the evidence is a bit sparse. She symbolises her argument in Jon Snow, however her failure to discuss why the likes of Tyrion, Cersei, Varys, Littlefinger, Brienne, Davos also fail to defy this stereotypical characterisation or alternatively why their cases should be given less weight is problematic. I don't dispute that the idea has merit, however she dismisses the point as given and self evident far too casually.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:He also puts in lots of sex and misogyny, and wall-to-wall rape, which isn't necessarily bad, if its handled well. I think books should have sex in them, and shouldn't shy away from any uncomfortable, unpleasant reality of life. The problem is when people who are not comfortable with their own sexuality start writing about it, which seems to be the problem of every mainstream fantasy author.

If an author writing some sex and lets the pen get away from him, his own lack of fulfillment starts leaking into the scene. It's not about the characters anymore, now it's just the author cybering with me about his favorite fetish. I don't want to buy a book just to get lost in someone's squicky fetish. If I cyber with a fat, bearded stranger, I expect to be paid for it.

Unjustified personal attack which is not given any justification, let alone rigorous treatment, through reference to the text. The argument is vague, condescending and fails to ground itself in any specific references, a flaw that permeates the entire review. She categorises Martin neatly into a tired stereotype of frustration and builds her argument around the stereotype of the generic fat neckbeard on the internet rather than Martin himself.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:I know a lot of fans probably get into it more than I do (like how plenty of WOW players enjoy making their female night elf hunters hump each other), but reading Goodkind, Jordan, and Martin--it can be like seeing a Playboy at your uncle's house where all the pages are wrinkled. That's not to say there isn't servicable pop fantasy sex out there--there is, and it's written by women.

Though I didn't save any choice examples from this book, I did come across an article which mentioned this quote, from a later book in the series:
"When she went to the stables, she wore faded sandsilk pants and woven grass sandals. Her small breasts moved freely beneath a painted Dothraki vest . . ."

I can imagine the process, as Martin sits, hands hovering over the keyboard, trying to get inside his character's head:

"Okay, I'm a woman. How do I see and feel the world differently? My cultural role is defined by childbirth. In the process of marriage, I can be bought and sold by my own--Oh, hey! Look at that, I've got tits! Man, look at those things go. *whooshing mammary sound effects* Okay, time to write."

Yet we don't get any descriptions of variously-sized dongs swinging within the confines of absurdly-detailed clothing. We do get a set of giant manboobs--which, as an overweight, elderly man, I assume Martin has some personal experience with--but not until book five, and even then, it's not the dude being hyperaware of his own, secretly moving under his clothes--they're just there to gross out a dwarf. Not really a balanced depiction.

This is a fair criticism of the unequal approach often evident in Martin's writing. One might raise the point that descriptions within POV chapters are not necessarily thoughts and that the POV merely defines the scope for what may be described outside dialogue and explicit thoughts. Even under such a perspective though, there is a deeply unequal relationship between the viewpoints in ASOIAF.

It's disappointing though that the evidence is lifted from another article which I've actually read, it's intellectually lazy and no credit is given to the actual author of this criticism.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:The books are also well known for featuring sudden, apparently pointless deaths, which some suggest is a sign of realism--but, of course, nothing is pointless in fiction, because the author must deliberately decide what to include. Sure, in real life, people will often suddenly die before finishing their life's work (authors of doorstop fantasy series do it all the time), but there's a reason we don't tend to tell stories of people who die unexpectedly in the middle of thing: they are usually boring and pointless. They build up for a while and eventually, lead nowhere.

Novelists often write in isolation, and so it's easy to forget the rule to which playwrights adhere: your story is always a fiction, and any time you ignore that fact and treat it as if it were real, you are working against your own writing. The writing that seems to be the most natural is never effortless, it is carefully and painstakingly constructed to feel natural.

People are often told in entry-level creative writing classes to 'listen to how real people talk, and write like that', which is terrible advice. A transcript of spoken conversation is often so full of repetition, half-thoughts, and non-specific words ('stuff', 'thing') as to be incomprehensible--especially without all of the cues of pattern, tone, and body language. Written communication works very differently, so making dialogue feel like speech is an artificial process. It's the same with sudden character deaths: treat them like a history, and your plot will become just as choppy and hard to follow.

But then, I'm not sure Martin's deaths are truly unpredictable. As in an action film, they are usually a plot convenience: kill off a villain, and you don't have to worry about wrapping up his personal arc. You don't have to defeat him psychologically--the finality of his death is the great equalizer. You don't have to do the hard work of demonstrating that the hero was morally right if he's the only option left.

Likewise, in Martin's book, death ties up loose threads--namely, plot threads. Often, this is the only ending we get to his plot arcs, which makes them rather predictable: any time a character could get enough influence to make things better, or more stable, he will die. Any character who poses a threat to the continuing chaos which drives the plot will first be built up, and then killed off.

I found this interview with Martin to be a particularly telling example of how he thinks of character deaths:
"I killed (view spoiler) because everybody thinks he’s the hero and that, sure, he’s going to get into trouble, but then he’ll somehow get out of it. The next predictable thing [someone] is going to rise up and avenge his [death]. And everybody is going to expect that. So immediately [killing (view spoiler) became the next thing I had to do.

He's not talking about the internal motivations of the characters, or the ideas the characters represent, he's talking about them as tools he can use to shock the audience. But then, the only reason we think these characters are important, the only reason we expect them to succeed is because of how Martin writes them.

He treats them as central, heroic character, spending time and energy on them, but it all ends up being a red herring so he can get rid of them for a cheap twist. It's like the mystery novels of the 70's and 80's where to surprise the audience, the author would add in ghosts or secret twins or a new character in the last chapter--it's only surprising because the author has torn up the structure of their own book, undermining the trust between author and reader.

Like all authors, Martin begins by producing plot arcs that grow and change, providing tension and goals for his characters. Normally, when such arcs come to a close, the author must use all the force of his skill to deal with themes and answer questions, providing a satisfying conclusion to a promising idea that his readers have watched grow.

Or you could just kill off the character central to the conflict and bury the plot arc with him. That way, you never have to worry about closure, you can just hook your readers by crafting a new arc from the chaos caused by the dissolution of the previous build. Start to make the reader believe that things might get better, to believe in a character, then wave your arms in distraction, yell and point, 'look at that terrible thing, over there!', and hope your audience becomes so caught up in worrying about this new problem that they forget that the old one was never actually resolved.

By chaining these false endings together, you can create a perpetual state of tension which never requires solution--this is how most soap operas work--plus, the author never has to do the hard work of finishing what they started. If an author is lucky, they die before reaching the Final Conclusion the readership is always clamoring for, and will never have to worry about meeting the collective expectation which all the long years of deferral have built up. It's easy to idolize Kurt Cobain, because you never had to see him bald and old and crazy like David Lee Roth.

Unlucky authors live to write the Final Book, which will break the spell of continual tension and expectation that kept their readers enthralled. Since the plot has not been tightening into a larger, intertwined conclusion (in fact, it's probably been spiraling out of control), the author must wrap things up conveniently and suddenly, leaving fans confused and upset. And, having thrown out the grand moral story of fantasy, Martin cannot even end on the dazzling trick of the vaguely-spiritual transgressive Death Event on which the great majority of fantasy books rely for a handy tacked-on climax (actually, he'll probably try it anyways, with dragons).

This point could be an interesting starting point for a debate, however once more, we're shockingly short on textual evidence that might support such a vague point. Keely seems to propose that death can not have simultaneous purposes which is incredibly problematic and unsubtle as a tool for analysis. That death has shock value does not preclude that death also acts as a consequence, as injustice, as growth for those who do live. It's difficult to be too specific in my response however because we're not given specific instances to respond to.

In ignoring the role of death as consequence, Keely fails to recognise why death as shock value became a backlash within fiction. Where Martin's characters die, other authors invoke spectacular escapes that are often inconsistent with the internal rules of each work of fiction. Martin's deaths may 'shock' however they are rarely forced. Ned's demise was consistent with everything we knew of his character, not to mention the characters of Littlefinger, Sansa, Cersei and Joffrey. Robb paid the consequences of insulting a notoriously proud and cautious Lord and his troops paid the price. Renly's death taught us much about Stannis. Oberyn fought a trial by combat in which he was more concerned with confession than victory and paid the price. The list goes on. Each death plausibly extends the narrative, there is no mercy extended because a character had more to give. If they make a fatal mistake, they face the consequences.

The issue of lost tensions and arcs which are unresolved is vague and thus difficult to respond to in a specific manner, however it is also forgotten that the series is unfinished and many of the "unresolved questions" can still be satisfactorily answered. In fact, issues such as Rob's Will, the plans of Varys, Ilyrio and Doran before the return of the dragons, the location of Ned's bones etc form the basis of many theories about how certain plot points in Books 6 and 7 will be resolved. The author assumes that each will reach an unsatisfactory ending before the series has even finished, a presumptuous stance and one that significantly weakens an argument already bereft of specific evidence as such a point can only be supported by pure conjecture.

A further issue that is not addressed is the fact that death is not always permament in ASOIAF, a subtlety which is ignored by her analysis.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:The drawback is that, even if a conclusion gets stuck on at the end, the story fundamentally leads nowhere--it winds back and forth without resolving psychological or tonal arcs. But then, doesn't that sound more like real life? Martin tore out the moralistic heart and magic of fantasy, and in doing so, rejected the notion of grandly realized conclusions. Perhaps we shouldn't compare him to other writers of romance, but to grandly realized Histories.

He asks us to believe in his intrigue, his grimness, and his amoral world of war, power, and death. In short, he is asking us to compare him not to the false Europe of Arthur, Robin Hood, and Orlando, but to the real Europe of plagues, power struggles, religious wars, witch hunts, and roving companies of soldiery forever ravaging the countryside.

Unfortunately, he doesn't compare very well to them, either. His intrigue is not as interesting as Cicero's, Machiavelli's, Enguerrand de Coucy's--or even Sallust's, who was practically writing fiction, anyways. Some might suggest it unfair to compare a piece of fiction to a true history, but those are the same histories that lent Howard, Leiber, and Moorcock their touches of verisimilitude. Martin might have taken a lesson from them and drawn inspiration from further afield: even Tolkien had his Eddas.

More than anything, this book felt like a serial melodrama. It is a story of the hardships of an ensemble cast who we are meant to watch over and sympathize with, being drawn chiefly by emotional appeals (the hope that things will 'get better' in this dark place, 'tragic' deaths), even though these appeals often conflict with the supposed realism, and in the end, there is no grander story to unify the whole. The 'grittiness' is just Martin replacing the standard fantasy theme of 'glory' with one of 'hardship', and despite flipping this switch, it's still just an emotional appeal. 'Heroes always win' is just as boring and predictable as 'heroes always lose'.

Again, this assumes that Keely actually knows how ASOIAF ends. Heroes always lose? Not only are we assuming that in the end, everyone simply loses, it's also a viewpoint that embraces characters as static identities rather than dynamic, changing people who gain and lose their integrity. ASOIAF is full of characters who are morally grey, who have committed monstrous crimes yet who still maintain the love and interest of the readers. Jaime, Theon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Stannis, hell even Sandor all challenge the notion of a 'hero' who is pure and faultless. Heroes don't always win in Martin's world, nor do they lose. Nor need they really be heroes. They're complicated people clawing their way through the world and we'll just have to wait and see who actually "wins."

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:It's been suggested that I didn't read enough of Martin to judge him, but if the first four hundred pages aren't good, I don't expect the next thousand will be different. If you combine the three Del Ray collections of Conan The Barbarian stories, you get 1,263 pages (including introductions, end notes, and variant scripts). If you take Martin's first two books in this series, you get 1,504 pages. Already, less than halfway through the series, he's written more than Howard's entire Conan output, and all I can do is ask myself: why does he need that extra length?

U wot m8? If you're reviewing a book you haven't even read, you're not simply intellectually dishonest, you're a moron. If you haven't read something to completion, it should first be acknowledged before anything else is said, not hidden half way through a review. Furthermore, all claims should be restricted to the material actually read, which this article clearly does not do by speculating about elements of the later books. Whatever you do though, you should not be reviewing a book for a site that many people use to decide whether to read something. At best, you might post that the book was not for you. To make broad claims about the books, to insult the author on a personal level, to let the arguments of others who have actually done the hard work of reading the series support your own writing treads the line between dishonesty and plagiarism. It should not come as a surprise that the majority of this review is vague to the point of being useless. If you're a reviewer, do your job and read the book, no matter how much you hate it, it is, after all, your job.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:Some authors use it to their advantage, but for most, it's just sprawling, undifferentiated bloat. Melodrama can be a great way to mint money, as evidenced by the endless 'variations on a theme' of Soap Operas, Pro Wrestling, Lost, and mainstream superhero comics. Plenty of people enjoy it, but it's neither revolutionary nor realistic.

Some have tried to defend this book by saying "at least Martin isn't as bad as all the drivel that gets published in genre fantasy", but saying "he's better than dreck" is really not very high praise. Others have intimated that I must not like fantasy at all, pointing to my low-star reviews of Martin, Wolfe, Jordan, and Goodkind, but it is precisely because I am passionate about fantasy that I fall heavily on these authors.

A lover of fine wines winces the more when he is given a corked bottle of vinegar, a ballet enthusiast's love of dance would not leave him breathless at a high school competition, and likewise, having learned to appreciate Epics, Histories, the Matter of Europe, Fairy Tales, and their modern offspring, the fantasy genre, I find Martin woefully lacking.

There's plenty of grim fantasy and intrigue out there, from its roots in epic poetry to the Thousand and One Nights to the early fantasies of Eddison, Dunsany, Morris, Macdonald, Haggard, and Kipling. Then there are more modern authors: Poul Anderson, Moorecock, Susanna Clarke, Neil Gaiman, Ray Bradbury, Mervyn Peake, China Mieville, Phillip Pullman, Howard, Lovecraft, and Leiber.

There seems to be a sense that Martin's work is somehow revolutionary, that it represents a 'new direction' for fantasy, but all I see is a reversion. Sure, he's different than Jordan, Goodkind, and their ilk, because they took equal parts Tolkien and Howard, the pseudo-medieval high-magic world from the first and the blood-and-guts heroism from the second. Martin, on the other hand, has more closely followed Tolkien's lead than any other modern high fantasy author--and I don't just mean in terms of Orientalist racism.

The majority of this paragraph isn't even about Martin, it's just name dropping in order to establish the reviewer as some sort of authority on fantasy, because having not read the series, she's surely not an authority on Martin. This last line though is indicative of the pseudo-intellectual nature of the entire review.

The issue of Orientalism in ASOIAF is the basis of many interesting debates. What we're offered isn't a sophisticated contribution to the debate but another dismissive, lazy accusation that fails to provide justification in the text. In so far as one can not even comment on such issues without having read the later books, I'd argue that again it represents the failure to give intellectual credit to the true authors of these arguments, however I believe we've already established that Keely has lost all credibility at this point, which is a shame, because the issues throughout the article merit discussion. That discussion requires knowledge about the actual book though.

The presence of language that is Orientalist is generally uncontested. For those unfamiliar with Said's work, it is a process by which another culture is made to be an 'Other' that is essentialised according to contrasts between one's own world and that of the Other. It develops a discourse in which the Other is portrayed as weak where one's own, superior culture is strong. Typical language portrays contrasts between the rational and the irrational, the 'normal' and the exotic, masculine and feminine.

Integral to understanding this as a debate though is to consider whether the portrayal of the Free Cities portrays such Orientalist tendencies as a result of subconscious internalisation of this discourse by Martin or whether is is portrayed as a phenomenon that arises naturally due to the exclusion of voice. I argue that this is the latter, contesting the charge made by the author that Martin is guilty of such Orientalist racism. Crucial to the development of histories and perspectives of an Other is the exclusion of voices from the target culture. In the same way as early histories of the 'East' were written, we are shown this world through the eyes of Daenerys - occasionally Selmy and increasingly near the end, Tyrion - who has had a fairly sheltered lifestyle, despite the hardships she has gone through. She lacks an understanding of the basic social and cultural norms of the cities she rules over and as such the interpretations within her viewpoint chapters are judgmental and unsophisticated. Crucially however, and indicative of what I believe to be Martin's use of Orientalism as an process within ASOIAF is the manner in which Daenerys' viewpoint is challenged when voices from the Free Cities are included, contesting the narrative she has constructed which is moralistic and simplifying. The more we see of Essos, the more we come to see similarities rather than differences with Westeros. The contrasts are broken down with greater information about the culture that is not filtered and legitimised by those who live outside their culture.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:Tolkien wanted to make his story 'real'--not 'realistic', by using the various dramatic techniques of literature--but actually real, by trying to create all the detail of a pretend world behind the story. Over the span of the first twenty years, he released The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and other works, while in the twenty years after that, he became so obsessed with worldbuilding for its own sake that instead of writing stories, he filled his shed with a bunch of notes (which his son has been trying unsuccessfully to make a book from ever since).

It's the same thing Martin's trying to do: cover a bland story with a litany of details that don't contribute meaningfully to his characters, plot, or tone. So, if Martin is good because he is different, then it stands to reason that he's not very good, because he's not really very different. He may seem different if all someone has read is Tolkien and the authors who ape his style, but that's just one small corner of a very expansive genre. Anyone who thinks Tolkien is the 'father of fantasy' doesn't know enough about the genre to judge what 'originality' means.

"Don't contribute meaningfully to his characters, plot or tone." Again, there is not even an attempt to justify this point, no examples given from the text or paraphrased. Having not even read all of ASOIAF, the prequels and supplementary material are dismissed without even being touched upon and the details within ASOIAF given no specific treatment.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:So, if Martin neither an homage nor an original, I'm not sure what's left. In his attempt to set himself apart, he tore out the joyful heart of fantasy, but failed replace it with anything worthwhile. There is no revolutionary voice here, and there is nothing in Martin's book that has not been done better by other authors.

However, there is one thing Martin has done that no other author has been able to do: kill the longrunning High Fantasy series. According to some friends of mine in publishing (and some amusingly on-the-nose remarks by Caleb Carr in an NPR interview), Martin's inability to deliver a book on time, combined with his awful relationship with his publisher means that literary agents are no longer accepting manuscripts for high fantasy series. So it turns out that Martin is so bad at structuring that he actually pre-emptively ruined books by other authors. Perhaps it is true what they say about silver linings . . .

Hearsay and irrelevant to a review of Martin's literary quality.

Dante wrote:
Keely wrote:Though I declined to finish this book, I'll leave you with a caution compiled from various respectable friends of mine who did continue on:

"If you need some kind of closure, avoid this series. No arcs will ever be completed, nothing will ever really change. They keep saying 'Winter is Coming', but it's not. As the series goes on, there will be more and more characters and diverging plotlines to keep track of, many of them apparently completely unrelated to each other, even as it increasingly becomes just another cliche, fascist 'chosen one' monomyth, like every other fantasy series out there. If you enjoy a grim, really long soap opera with lots of deaths and constant unresolved tension, pick up the series--otherwise, maybe check out the show."

Once more, we are given an argument that assumes how the books end rather than allowing Martin to finish them. Preempting the ending doesn't make you clever, it makes you look presumptuous and naive.

This was a review that might have been very interesting if done thoroughly by someone who had actually read the book. What it turns into is a vain attempt at self-assurance that relies heavily upon vague arguments established by other reviews and appeals to authority through reference to countless fantasy authors in manners which are not given specific relevance.

0/10. Try again.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:31 am

Dante wrote:This quote was actually a link to this :

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2011/06/30/game-of-thrones-fascism/

i read that too , although it was incredibly boring and too ... how should i put it. Looks through asoiaf with political eyes , like solely? Didn't really agree with most of it tbh.

As for the review , yeah , she's somewhat pretentious , like an apostle of Fantasy Laughing

nevertheless , there are certain points she makes that are at the very least interesting to contemplate. It actually helped me balance my opinion between the , Good vs Evil fantasy and the realistic and grey part of fantasy . Or what Martin did to my thoughts on certain types of story , with expecting characters to die or not to die , depending on who they are and what they are going through. (Not just in books , in movies too lol)

I decided that if it's interesting and well written , i simply don't give a damn anymore . Laughing

Anyhow , you don't agree with the review i presume , lol

I actually thought this was a very interesting article, however I believe that the argument made for a resurgence of fascist aesthetics within ASOIAF are incredibly problematic.

The first point raised concerns the Kingsguard. An argument is made that the KG is slowly being repaired and once more made into a pure body, however this point relies heavily upon a focus on Jaime, excluding the more troublesome examples of the other KG. Regarding Jaime, the article earlier states "Jaime pretty clearly loses his hand just so that he can, through agonized struggle, climb the mountain, touch the peak, and reclaim his status as a perfected instrument of death." This perspective however seems to assume a return to prominence that ignores the nature of Jaime's power. Jaime's authority now stems entirely from the maintenance of a reputation that he does not deserve, that of the fighter. He must maintain a facade rather than rely on his actual body. Where as before he felt that he was untouchable because of his ability, he now truly embodies Varys' conception of power as a trick, a shadow on the wall.

Furthermore, the article seeks to make Jaime symbolic of the entire KG, ignoring the manner in which the other members resist fascist aesthetics. Ser Arys breaks his bow of celibacy and becomes part of an attempt to crown Myrcella in opposition to Tommen, his king. The Kettleblacks are planted by Baelish and are more interested in bedding the queen than protecting the king. Ser Loras is speculated to be part of a Tyrell plot to remove the Lannisters from a position of influence in King's Landing despite the requirement of the KG to put aside their family loyalties. Meryn Trant is and always will be a the biggest git in the capital. Their newest member meanwhile is a resurrected Mountain. Hardly what one would say a shining example of what the KG should be.

The second point raised is the Wall, and again the leader is made representative of a force that is far from cohesive. The political subtlety behind Jon's acceptance of the Wildlings is ignored by the author, the inclusion of an impure challenge to the the history of the 7 kingdoms. Strangely the final action of the Wall is ignored entirely, a mutiny which perhaps assassinates their leader Jon Snow. For the second time in the series perhaps, the Night's Watch has murdered their leader, an action that could actually see the Wall fall rather than see it stand tall against an invading force of Walkers. This point is difficult to treat as there are many solutions to the final chapter in the North and we simply do not know how this will work out, however regardless, the case of the Wall is less clear than the article makes out.

Finally, we again see a very uncomplicated perspective of Dany that dismisses problematic issues of her rule. The issue of the 'Good Ruler,' the only one who can see that slavery is bad feeds to an extent into the place of Orientalism in ASOIAF as I discussed in my previous post, however what is most strange is the assertion that there are no negative consequences to Dany's actions. Her liberation of Astapar backfires horribly, leading to the rise of a cruel despot. If anything, the city is far worse off for Dany's intervention than under the previous Masters. In fact, in order to rule her own city, Dany had to compromise and marry into the preexisting order to gain acceptance and keep the peace. Even still, she is the subject of an assassination attempt, presumed dead, her city under seige and starving.

Ignoring these signifcant troubles, the article further claims that it is looking more and more likely that the books simply represent her march to eventual power. Any argument that relies upon a particular ending is necessarily inflexible and insensitive to alternative endings, many of which seem equally if not more plausible than Dany's victory.

It's an interesting article in truth, however the arguments put forward simplify the situation in Westeros to a troubling degree. As the article is from 2011, this may be because it might slightly predate ADWD but I can't agree with its conclusion.
dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:43 pm

Thank you for your time mate. As always , your opinion is greatly appreciated and respected. Now , i failed to delve into the review in my post , because i wanted anyone who would read this to read it as i did , for better or for worse. It was kind of a douche move ( i am sorry Proud ) not to say that she declined to finish even the first book . In fact , i was meant to include that in the post but i then decided not to , simply because i doubted who would going to read the whole of it . lol

Now , on your reply. First of all , let me be clear , i do not embrace this review . I do not agree with most of what she says and i too find the lack of actual analysis or reference , annoying and i certainly didn't like the attacks on the author. Basically , all the rest you said ; no need for further words. In her defence , she perhaps could not do anything extended in the review , because she would spoil things . Having said that. How could she ever do that without finishing the books , i could not say. She didn't even finish the first but rather learned , assuming , the basic plot from another source.

You did a fine post on this and i don't feel the need to add much more , if at all . I posted the review because i thought that a few of the points , however vague or unfounded or generalised , were worthy of a good discussion . What i kept from this , putting aside for one sec she didn't even finish the first book , lol , is the part of the deaths .

You obviously explained against that well enough and honestly , i do agree with that part of your reply and your reasoning behind it. However , she's not concerned with the how of these deaths. If they match his world and what lead to their deaths. She makes it a statement soon enough in her review that authors should not shy away from the unpleasant of life. And the unpleasant part works quite well into his world , so she wasn't about that. What i got from that part is ,

she's concerned with the notion the author himself saw these characters as tools of subversion of the familiar trope of the hero and his journey to fullfilment , neglecting the part of their conclusion as characters just to shock the audience with admittedly , shocking deaths. That Martin created them for the sole purpose of their deaths , so the story can continue in a different way , rather than the usual hero archetypal story , but!; with ruining the trust between author and reader , because according to her he wrote these characters to be sympathised with , to be heroes and all. She feels cheated basically Laughing Anyway , all that , despite being interesting to debate , fall off asunder when you consider this :

keely wrote:It's the same with sudden character deaths: treat them like a history, and your plot will become just as choppy and hard to follow

It's choppy and hard to follow and it seems to be nothing personal to her , simply because she didn't even finish the first book .. lol. Of course she would include something like that in her review . Neds and Robbs deaths were history to her and she can't see how these characters have actually been fullfiled in their deep sense of honor and morality. We see humans here who were deeply invested in their beliefs and no mater how old these 2 would get , they would always be "the Stark of Winterfell" with all that goes with it. Martin may have done what she claims , he actually says it himself there so it cannot be argued Laughing , but , the characters were fullfiled in every sense despite their early demise , Keely just "wasn't there to see it in the books" . Even Robb , who was a young lad , is basically described as having been trained how to be a lord all his life ; how well he knew his father's "code" , even if not trully his father. How he fell in love and how he made mistakes and how he earned respect from friends and foes alike. Likewise Ned , although he would never reach the third age , you could say he lived a life full of everything , a fullfiled character with all his strengths and weaknesses , strugles and fortunes , war and peace , how he lived as a son , as a brother , as a friend , as a politician , as a soldier and commander , as servant as much as lord , as much as fullfiled love as unfullfiled . A character from start to finish is there. debunked/

Keely knows shit of all that , because how could she , not even reading agot. Having said that. No mater how much of a fantasy apostle she may be , i really wish she finished the books . She could represent another point of view , one that we do not meet often and actually provide for everything she claims . I don't know about pseudo-intellectual but , having seen what she claims she read in her profile , i was quite impressed really. I don't know her obviously .. but there are hundrends of books read there and lots , lots of fantasy. We like her review or not , she does make interesting points , however unfullfiled(irony irony) The part were death is the only conclusion on most characters cannot be denied. It cannot be in a massive series that almost solely deaths can lead the story on. But it happens frequently nonetheless and many of these characters have gone unfulfiled , merely tools for the story , like Quentyn 'oh' Martel. Anyhow , i ll stop here since i already said what i had to say. Not to defend her or anything ..just to point out she could have made a more , reasonable review had she actually done the deed.

As for the 2nd pots of yours Dosto. Well , when i read that link about the fascist aesthetics in fantasy and all , i had read the review 3 times , 1st and then 2 rereads ; to be as much certain as i could of her opinion .

I read , i questioned , i doubted . I say all that because , after what seemed like hours , perhaps i didn't pay the proper attention to the basis of the whole thing. Perhaps i found it boring after so much rereading and my thoughts being on the review . In any case , i don't see the need for it in the first place , even though your post made me change my mind and i will actually read it again .

Anyhow , fantasy is fantasy man , someone could probably take Hitlers' story and make it a great tale of love and rebelion if he wanted to Laughing . And it would be great fantasty if done right. What i am saying is , i don't really care if he is indeed right in the link and i don't think proving him wrong actually has any meaning , we read fantasy to be immersed into something else entirely different from reality . I don't need to be educated with fantasy , rather i want to GET HYPE and be immersed and be entertained .

ASOIAF is meant to be politicaly analysed and i agree to that. What i do not like however is the part where he tryhards to find parallels and meaning behind it ; there is none , it is just what it is to tell his story in a world of fantasy. Kingsguard and it's face and background was not created with the fascists beliefs/aesthetics/whathavyou in mind , was created with the notion of loyalty and knighthood and what that all meant to the king of westeros and it's people. That's the notion behind it , now , the people who construct the Kingsguard in our story could be whoever the hell they had to be regardless of that notion , as you well pointed out.
If he wants to see more into it , fine by me , but i don't have to agree with it anyway.

p.s. I lmao with U wot m8 Laughing

p.s sry for the long post and the structure , can't be bothered to make it seem nice
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 41  Next