goonbrain
Le Samourai
Motogp69
Dante
BarrileteCosmico
36 posters

Page 35 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 35 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:19 am

What? Of course he does, his father sent him to death when he was innocent, he has every reason to want to "settle that debt"

BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 35 Empty Re: [BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate

Post by zigra Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:What? Of course he does, his father sent him to death when he was innocent, he has every reason to want to "settle that debt"

What was Tywin supposed to do? Tyrion got the option to go to the wall, instead he chose a trial by combat and lost. After that it was over. Besides he shot him because he called Shae a whore again. We don't know if he would've shot him regardless.

Anyway I wouldn't even really have a problem with Tyrion shooting Tywin if he got the chance to do so. The problem is that Tyrion didn't somehow get the chance - he went to his fathers chambers. Why? He was just freed and I had the feeling that he did care a lot about that. About a chance to LIVE. So what he should've done was trying to escape. Save his life. Instead he wasted time looking for his fathers chambers to do what exactly? Kill him? He didn't know if his father was alone, if he was asleep. Didn't know if guards around would hear something and he didn't even have a weapon.

Going there to kill his father means accepting that you most likely won't escape and still might not even be able to kill him. In the books I can understand that because of what Jaime told him just moments before he was devastated. But in the series? Don't really think so.

zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:59 am

Tyrion still had enough reason to murder Tywin, he sentenced Tyrion to death even though he KNEW Tyrion did not do it. Why? Because as Show!Tyrion said "my father never never fails to take advantage of a family tragedy", he wanted Tyrion dead for being a dwarf and an embarrassment for House Lannister aswell as for killing his lady wife and this farcical trial was the perfect opportunity for Tywin without being cursed as a kinslayer. Of course Jaime giving up the Kingsguard was better than dead Tyrion so he went with the offer and have Tyrion killed another way or let him rot at the watch.

If the showrunners decided to cut the whole Tysha relevation they should have showed Tyrion's rage building in these cell scenes because it felt really odd how SUDDENLY he decides to murder his father but nooo that would ruin fun, witty Tyrion and THiS is my problem with the showrunners - the whitewashing - it makes them change scenes like this and then they make little sense.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Of course, of course. As said I would've been ok with him shooting Tywin if it not for the problems you stated.

zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:04 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:What? Of course he does, his father sent him to death when he was innocent, he has every reason to want to "settle that debt"

Tyrion being sentenced to death was his own doing though. He lost his cool and demanded trial by combat and screwed himself big time by choosing a champion who would inevitably let his emotions get the better of him when confronted by the man who raped and killed his sister.

The problem in the show was that there was no previous hint or exposition which would have lead Tyrion to go to the Tower and kill Tywin, he just showed up there. There was no Tysha-like reveal which drove him to anger and made him irrational enough to risk everything, and go to a part of the Red Keep where there was a high chance of him being recaptured and thrown back into jail. He just went there for.....reasons....

Zigra is right when he says even non book readers were confused by the whole thing. I had people asking me why Tyrion went to the Tower when he had a chance to escape, and I just shrugged my shoulders because I had no answer. It was a mind boggling decision.

That's the problem with GoT. It's a really good show when the writers follow the source material correctly, but when they decide to add their own stuff, changing character motivations and the like, the entire thing starts to go to shit.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:21 am

He lost his cool when he saw that he had no chance at a fair trial. Tywin sentenced him before the trial by not allowing him to build a case in his defense.

Not to mention that he didn't necessarily need to go up to kill him, but just to confront him and escape back using the secret tunnels. After seeing Shae there everything changed.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:39 am

Ah come on there's no way he goes up there, confronts his dad and runs away afterwards. How would he do that? Tywin could stop him on his own + he could call guards. Tyrion can't even run properly..

All we say is that Tyrion visiting his fathers chambers is as good as throwing away any chance of escaping. In the books I could understand that confronting his father was more important to Tyrion than saving his life but the show never indicated anything like that. Instead Tyrion tells Jaime "Thank you. For my life" just to throw it away the next second? That's the point where something is missing. Something that would make him do something completely irrational.

It was pure luck that he survived the trip!

And again: I completely could understand Tyrion shooting his father if someone gifted him the chance to do so.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:27 pm

I really can't wait for S5 despite criticizing the show, especially:

Daznak's Pit
"For the watch" and the aftermath (don't see them leaving it as a cliffhanger)
Hardhome
Any scene where they mention Euron and
Any scene involving Stannis/Jon/Melisandre :wub:
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 am

somewhat off topic

I've been reading a series called The Broken Empire , by Mark Lawrence. Read the first book , Prince of Thorns . Now i am near 100 pages in the 2nd , King of Thorns . I am having so much fun with this story and even given some legitimate feels about it. It's not a story told from different perspectives , it's just the main protagonist here , recommending it here for it's medieval setting and fierce telling and story. Those books also manage to rival the cruelty levels of Westeros and in the mean time , you will get a great perspective of both the aristocracy as well as the peasant lyfe . Magic isn't everywhere and it's frowned at , it isn't game-changing stuff (yet) , there's magic in it but it's like Westeros , not the main attraction by any means.

With a few words , it's like reading Tyrion going to meet his father in the toilet every damn chapter Laughing . Jorg is pretty much a villain who drives the story on. And it gets consistently and significantly better as you move on. Incredibly easy read , with lots of fun quotes , action , dark feel to it and too much death going on. Highly recommended if you're looking to read anything to pass the time.

Reading his thoughts and his reasoning for the things he does it will amuse you to no end . Well , if it doesn't straight away disgust you . Not even in the middle of the first book and i was rooting for him and he was everything wrong in this world. The 2nd book is at least as good as the first so far , much deeper and genuinely better from what i see . Jorg is just an awesome character , again , highly recommended if you're looking to read a character in medieval times who will tear shit up , involved in a multi-threaded game-of-thrones storyline with a lot of feels to give .

Also , there were many refferences to ASOIAF in the first book , the phrase game of thrones appears at least 3 times in book 1 and things like pieces and players even more. Clearly influenced by ASOIAF although it definitely lacks in subtlety . In any case i approve , if anyone wants to check it out.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:13 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:I really can't wait for S5 despite criticizing the show, especially:

Daznak's Pit
"For the watch" and the aftermath (don't see them leaving it as a cliffhanger)
Hardhome
Any scene where they mention Euron and
Any scene involving Stannis/Jon/Melisandre :wub:

100% this
It's just the first time I'm not really confident.. I just prey they "turn it around" in season 5. Somehow that makes waiting for it even more exciting Laughing

Dante, thank you. I think I might get the books as a little christmas gift to myself albino
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:13 am

nothing pal

Reading about Jorg will be one hell of a ride , i promise you. You ever wanted to read a Joffrey POV? It's like that , without being pretentious and dangerous solely from political power but dangerous on his own accord and merit , being the complete opposite of a coward to the point it goes past bravery and closer to stupidity or madness , as arrogant when talking and fighting like a young Jaime Lannister who's mean like only Joffrey can be , thinking like Tyrion during & post toilet-meeting in Joffrey like taste , but being intelligent all the same. All that whilst being a teenager (in book1..), faithfully playing the part and always evolving , physicaly and mentaly. A tragic , narcissistic , dangerous and sarcastic character with not one redeeming quality.  

For anything that is good , you really wouldn't want him to succeed . It feels exactly like he would deserve a hero to come and take his head off . The thing is , you wouldn't see the hero as something else ; you would see him exactly as the fkn hero . And that's exactly because Jorg would see him as the hero too . It still won't matter . Jorg will simply do whatever he must to win , WHATEVER it must be done no matter what , and you will be the judge in the end. And you will judge in his favor. Not only you will root and care for him , but you will feel for him too. And from what i see from the 2nd book , you will like his older version even more , dat dark humour light-hearted view on the most serious matters is simply hilarious at times.

It's quite amazing what this character pulls off really. Great read , i was pleasantly surprised. I still am , can't wait to see how it all ends.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:00 pm

I was just reading The Hedge Knight right before the trial by seven, Lyonel Baratheon the Laughing Storm - seems like the Badasstheons were always badass :bow:

Aerion is an asshole, Joffrey 2.0, hopefully Dunk smashes his head off.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:08 am

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/542710215842742272

12 days...

12 days later is 21st December. First day of winter.

Guys is he going to announce what I think he's going to announce?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by dostoevsky Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:10 am

Can't. Handle. Hype.

dostoevsky
dostoevsky
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Either he announces TWOW or he is a dick. You can't play with my feelings like this. And he is going to make us wait 12 days for this. Mad
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:09 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/westerosorg/status/543014574451335168

Feels like cold water.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:53 pm

GRRM's new tweet rofl

"@GRRMspeaking: On the second day...House Greyjoy ran out of power...#12DaysofWesteros #books #GameOfThrones http://t.co/0nbmf7PkuH"

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 35 B4lsrBmIYAAPIo3
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:00 pm

On the one hand the fact that he hashtagged books makes me hopeful.

On the other batteries makes me think it's about some sort of toy.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Yeah it's probably some special Christmas merchandise sale Sad He did say a few weeks ago he is in the middle of the book so I guess we should stop hoping for TWOW.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I wouldn't give up just yet although you guys are doing the right thing not to get excited No

Let's look at the options:

1). Can't be Season 5 related (trailer, teasers, new cast or something else), that's why they created threeeyedraven.com
2). Can't be merchandise, why include #books if it is - it has to be book related - they added that deliberately
3). Can't be the D&E novellas put together as announced to be published in 2015, why else include all these houses?
4). It can possibly be a new WoW sample chapter, but then George said he won't release new chapters

Meh who am I kidding, it's probably a brand new "Christmas Special Westeros Recipes" cookbook lol

In all seriousness though, I will be disappointed if we don't get something book related otherwise this is just deliberate trolling.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:02 pm

So it is a newbook. The Wit and Wisdom of Aeron Damphair confirmed.

Oh *bleep* it. He will announce TWOW will releas 4 days later on Christmas and ADOS will release after finale of season 5. ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO CHOO

[BOOKS] Game of Thrones for the Literate - Page 35 B4hyiItCYAAIvsW
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 pm

IOMFHGS did you notice

New Batteries = NEW = 3 Letter Word = HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

plus #books ...............................................

TWOW AND HALF LIFE 3 BOTH #CONFIRMED #21stDECEMBER #GETHYPE

:bow: THE HYPE RUNS THROUGH MY VEINES :bow:

I DONT BELIEVE THIS IS WOW BUT WHO CARES , GET ON DAT #HYPETRAIN AND WRITE IN CAPS FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN I AM TOO BORED TO ERASE IT BY NOW

anyone else thinks this was poorly thought out , if it wasn't meant to be TWOW? Because let's face it , you don't need to be involved in PR to get what people would make of this. They either planned something or they are just messing with people with being careless.

Last edited by Dante on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:28 pm

What a day I've had.

1. Check asoiaf news sources. GRRM is doing a 12 day countdown special. He would have to be too much of a dick for it to be anything but TWOW. HYPE LEVEL OVER 9000.

2. Elio Garcia claims its just some "holiday fun".  Hype level: very mild.

3. GRRM comes out with 11th countdown poster: it says it needs new batteries, that sounds like shitty merchandising. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted Hype level: 0.

4. I read further, he tagged the post as #books. Why would he do this if the coutndown is not book related? There is only one reason, TWOW! Hype level: medium

5. Elio Garcia goes back on his earlier comments and plays a mysterious card, putting into serious doubt his earlier comments. Hype level: ALL ABOARD THE HYPE EXPRESS!!!

Is this seriously what it's going to be llike for 10 more days? I'm already exhausted.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Dante wrote:anyone else thiks this was poorly thought out , if it wasn't meant to be TWOW? Because let's face it , you don't need to be involved in PR to get what people would make of this. They either planned something or they are just messing with people with being careless.
If at the end of this thing TWOW is not announced I guarantee you there will be death threats
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:09 pm

I wouldn't be surprised BC , really. TBH , i honestly don't think it will be Winds. It's just a twitter thing for fans , the #books is there to differentiate this thing from show-related / show-merchandise stuff . The final day , 21st of December , is the issue here. It's sad how out of proportions it got just because of the final date , because they should have foreseen that. And if they did , all the worse , if it wasn't meant to be TWOW.

Either this , or it really is TWOW , it cannot be anything else. Given what we know about TWOW however , i'd pick the former . We know since September , GRRM would work in Westeros(TWOW) till S5 begins , or near that. It takes a massive leap of faith to accept he's already done with TWOW by now and is planning on announcing a release date as a christmas gift , because even the release date it would mean a christmas gift for countless people . So once again , this is either TWOW , or GTFO whoever thought to make such a connection like that . A day earlier/later and no one would bat an eye right now . Which is telling; either fully planned and HYPE GOES OVER 9000 , or someone trolled us hard .

If it's not TWOW , what would have been intented to be a holiday-westeros-thing from GRRM to the fans , will end up getting people upset and outraged for being :VAGI:

Having said all that , IF it's TWOW . That was some well thought out way to go with it , generated too much hype with almost nothing to power it up Laughing

If it isn't . Someone over there involved with PR stuff needs to get a punch in the face . ffs
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:12 pm

Some people are speculating that it's going to be TWOW part 1/2 so that S5 doesn't spoil the books. I never believed he would wrap it up in 7 books anyways, Dany won't even last in Westeros until the very end of TWOW, if at all.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next