RealGunner
Chumlum
Wilson37
Amar
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do You Want Suarez?

Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Vote_lcap64%Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 21 ]
Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Vote_lcap36%Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 33

Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Empty Definitive Luis Suarez Poll

Post by Amar Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm

There's a long way to go in this transfer saga, and its a huge question mark as to whether we'll be able to sign him or not, but I thought I'd bring this poll up anyways.

I was reading the Arseblog this morning (http://arseblog.com/2013/07/suarez-40000001-00-and-all-that/) and I do agree with him that its a very divisive issue amongst the fans. I've personally stayed on the fence on this one because even though he is very prone to committing these random acts of stupidity, I think he would improve Arsenal significantly and make us title contenders.

With the biting, diving, and racism, he brings along is a heavy load of baggage we would be taking on if he came to Arsenal. Considering the amount of money we might be spending on Suarez, his behaviour is extremely worrying cause he's a ticking time bomb, and one more of his incidents, and he could be suspended for a very long time. Financially its a massive risk, because I do not believe we'll recoup anything close to what we'll eventually pay for him should for any reason, this transfer not work out.

Of course if the club does sign him, all of us will support the club and cheer his goals as we would any other player. He's a top 3 player in England, and he can single-handedly win a club games like he did for Liverpool last year. He's also the creative forward we are desperately lacking to lead our line. I believe Poldi and Giroud did very well in their first years in England, but they really don't come close to the talent level Suarez has.

So do you want him at Arsenal?
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Empty Re: Definitive Luis Suarez Poll

Post by Wilson37 Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:44 pm

personally no... not a player woth risking 40+ million to sign him.. wont mind signing him considering that Arsenal has officially moved for him now.. but i dont think i can support if he does his unwanted activities.. i expect that our club and fans will not close their eyes to such incidents like Liverpool or encourage them even if we win like ManU.. so there can be issues which can make him force a move out soon..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Hopefully both sides can acknowledge each other's rationality. Not everyone who says 'no' denies he's an immense talent. Not everyone who says 'yes' is being wilfully blind to his controversies.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:57 pm

(Also, I voted "no," but I think that if it came down to getting Suarez for a lot of money vs not signing anyone, I'd resign myself to his coming. I've read Machiavelli. I know Game of Thrones. Sometimes circumstances force you to do unsavory things in order to grasp power and achieve greatness with it. Clubber )
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Chumlum wrote:(Also, I voted "no," but I think that if it came down to getting Suarez for a lot of money vs not signing anyone, I'd resign myself to his coming. I've read Machiavelli. I know Game of Thrones. Sometimes circumstances force you to do unsavory things in order to grasp power and achieve greatness with it. Clubber )

ffs :bow: :bow:

Last edited by RealGunner on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:01 pm

for 45m+ incentives yes and suarez wants to join us, l think thats a good deal for both teams. if we have to go 55 million lm not sure its worth it. Basically our entire summer budget.

We still need a Gk a DM, a LW and maybe an extra CB.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Like Amar, I've been sitting on the fence on this issue but after after reading a very good article from Rory Smith of The Times, I'm leaning towards "no". Specifically, it was this extract that did it for me (bit of background: Suarez took legal action against Groningen and though he didn't win his case, the whole mess practically forced Groningen to cut their losses):

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/8101?cc=5739

Arsenal being prepared to overlook ethical considerations is one thing - a necessary, if unpalatable, reality - but their ability to turn a blind eye to Suarez's transfer history is more worrying. He has already forced his way out of two clubs - his departure from Ajax was less acrimonious but just as compulsory - and now seems to be paving the way to do the same to a third.

This prompts a question that, at some point, Arsenal really should have asked themselves: What's to say he won't do the same to us? Even if he leads them to a Premier League and Champions League double, there is always going to be someone who will offer more money, more glamour, more sunshine.

Why would they be any different than Liverpool, than Ajax, than Groningen? What makes them think they will be the exception? Even if they are prepared to spend all that money to bring Suarez to the Emirates, despite all of his baggage, is signing him not a guarantee of trouble down the road? This feels familiar already. It is hard to escape the idea that Suarez, and his clubs, are condemned to repeat history, time and again - less as tragedy, more as farce.

I'm not naive enough to believe that players should be loyal or even like the club he plays for, but Suarez's history would worry me as a supporter. This is a player that, no matter how much he wins or how much the club he's playing for supports him from difficult times, will still try and force his way out and won't do so quietly. He could spend two or three years with us, win a Premier League title, win a Champions League and become a club icon yet wouldn't give a damn about any of it the second someone like Madrid came in for him.

Undeniably Suarez is a great player, but he's also trouble. I'm not comfortable about the idea of our club spending so much money on someone who could do something incredibly stupid and get himself banned for several games, or for someone who could toss us aside on a whim and be disruptive about it in the process. I recall a certain Robin van Persie practically doing the same thing, too.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:47 pm

I voted yes, we dont really have much of a choice imo. Suarez may not a ideal signing but through out history when we had a bad boy we won trophies.Wenger will always sign players, but not the ones we want. What is the difference with Suarez?

Definitive Luis Suarez Poll BP9LxHeCMAAtDfw

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm

It's a valid concern. I hope Arsene has thought well over this.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:54 pm

RealGunner wrote:It's a valid concern. I hope Arsene has thought well over this.

Positive side,footballing genius lets forget the controversy. Is not bad to have some controversy also, look balotelli left Man City and they did not win anything.lol
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Chumlum wrote:(Also, I voted "no," but I think that if it came down to getting Suarez for a lot of money vs not signing anyone, I'd resign myself to his coming. I've read Machiavelli. I know Game of Thrones. Sometimes circumstances force you to do unsavory things in order to grasp power and achieve greatness with it. Clubber )

What he said except I did not vote. I think the outcome of the transfer market will decide if I support him or not. Meaning that if that is who we get I will support it just rally do not want him. Unfortunately, same with Rooney.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Just think of Suarez suspensions like RVP with injuries
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 pm

I am really not feeling him contacting his legal team or whatever. That's disgraceful.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:39 am

Assuming we manage to get him.

A good way to make sure we don't get screwed later on will be to put in a buyout clause of at least £60m-£65m. We all know Madrid/PSG/Monaco will come for him eventually.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:36 am

i expect it to be his Last Big move but still some crazy release clause would do
------------
Suarez shot placement

Definitive Luis Suarez Poll Suarez-gs

statsbettor wrote:appears that Suarez is happy to shoot from almost anywhere inside the opposition’s half.  For the most part, it appears that these shooting decisions are not very wise due to the infrequency of those long range shots finding the net.  This can be seen by the amount of red zeros in the right hand image.
link
------------------
Guardian wrote:Suárez is a family man, who is married to his childhood sweetheart and he is simply considered to be a nice bloke by his Liverpool team-mates. Those that know him from his previous clubs speak well of him, too. "He likes to laugh and he likes to joke," said Tottenham Hotspur's Jan Vertonghen, who played with Suárez at Ajax. The Arsenal captain, Thomas Vermaelen, also knows and respects him from the Dutch club.

There would be no issues in the Arsenal dressing room were Suárez to sign, partly because players are a worldly bunch, concerned purely with whether somebody will put it in for them. Almost to a man during the current tour, Arsenal's squad have spoken of their desire to see high quality additions. They would love it were Suárez to join.

There is also the school of thought that a player of Suárez's win-at-all-costs mentality is precisely what Arsenal need. The Uruguayan has admitted that something changes inside him when he crosses the white line and he feels the competitive juices; something that makes him prepared to push the boundaries of what is thought to be acceptable. Have Arsenal, trophyless since 2005, been guilty of being too nice? As an aside on morality in football (such as it is), it is remarkable how supporters can turn as soon as a player changes teams.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jul/24/arsenal-luis-suarez-liverpool
------------------------
MARTIN KEOWN wrote:Liverpool are right to fight to keep hold of Luis Suarez. He is a fantastic player. But Arsene Wenger is the perfect person to erase the unwanted side of the Uruguayan’s game.

A deal with Arsenal is still a long way off, and signing someone with Suarez’s track record could be seen as high-risk. He has run into big trouble on several occasions. He needs to learn from his behaviour because you can’t use racist language or bite people. It’s not on.

But there is not a better educator of young men than Wenger. The Frenchman would make a difference to Suarez’s behaviour without a doubt.

Wenger creates a habit of behaviour that everyone around him follows. He is a very calm person and everyone else follows that example. He makes good decisions based on calmness. He treats his players with respect and creates a learning environment.

All of this is aimed at keeping you from crossing the line, which is what Suarez needs to learn. Of course, it doesn’t work all the time because Wenger still wants you to be fiery on the pitch — I should know — but Suarez would benefit. We all know deep down how to behave; Wenger promotes that.

There would also be benefits on the pitch for him. Don’t forget that Wenger has worked with so many top strikers: Ian Wright, Nicolas Anelka, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Nwankwo Kanu and Robin van Persie, to name just a few. And they have all improved as players under him.

Emmanuel Adebayor went from hitting shots yards over the bar in training to scoring 30 goals in a season.

And Suarez has so much talent. He brings goals, has intelligence in the way he links with players, and shows calmness in front of goal. Suarez is a nightmare to play against, too, because of the way he wriggles and turns inside his opponent.

From Arsenal’s point of view, this possible deal is exciting. You need a world-class striker to compete at the highest level — it’s the icing on the cake for any team.

Arsenal have been used to losing big players in the past few summers so it makes a change to see them going after a big signing. It will fill Arsenal with hope and Liverpool with dread.
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:02 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:Like Amar, I've been sitting on the fence on this issue but after after reading a very good article from Rory Smith of The Times, I'm leaning towards "no". Specifically, it was this extract that did it for me (bit of background: Suarez took legal action against Groningen and though he didn't win his case, the whole mess practically forced Groningen to cut their losses):

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/8101?cc=5739

Arsenal being prepared to overlook ethical considerations is one thing - a necessary, if unpalatable, reality - but their ability to turn a blind eye to Suarez's transfer history is more worrying. He has already forced his way out of two clubs - his departure from Ajax was less acrimonious but just as compulsory - and now seems to be paving the way to do the same to a third.

This prompts a question that, at some point, Arsenal really should have asked themselves: What's to say he won't do the same to us? Even if he leads them to a Premier League and Champions League double, there is always going to be someone who will offer more money, more glamour, more sunshine.

Why would they be any different than Liverpool, than Ajax, than Groningen? What makes them think they will be the exception? Even if they are prepared to spend all that money to bring Suarez to the Emirates, despite all of his baggage, is signing him not a guarantee of trouble down the road? This feels familiar already. It is hard to escape the idea that Suarez, and his clubs, are condemned to repeat history, time and again - less as tragedy, more as farce.

I'm not naive enough to believe that players should be loyal or even like the club he plays for, but Suarez's history would worry me as a supporter. This is a player that, no matter how much he wins or how much the club he's playing for supports him from difficult times, will still try and force his way out and won't do so quietly. He could spend two or three years with us, win a Premier League title, win a Champions League and become a club icon yet wouldn't give a damn about any of it the second someone like Madrid came in for him.

Undeniably Suarez is a great player, but he's also trouble. I'm not comfortable about the idea of our club spending so much money on someone who could do something incredibly stupid and get himself banned for several games, or for someone who could toss us aside on a whim and be disruptive about it in the process. I recall a certain Robin van Persie practically doing the same thing, too.
if there is a guarantee that he will win us a PL or CL before leaving, then we should not bother much about him leaving after that... we can recoup a decent 30-40 million from his sales.. and with trophies we can attract other top players.. so him ditching us off after winning is not a problem..
but what if he doesnt win us anything, spoils the reputation of the club and tries to force a move out..? the reason there is not much competition for him now is because of his behavioural problems.. he would hardly fetch us 15-20 million if he repeats this at Arsenal..
as Keown said, lets hope that Wenger can change him.. i dont think Wenger will risk such a huge amount of clubs hard earned money without seeing something..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Who would want to argue against me, that putting his negative side aside, Suarez is the best player in the PL...?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 pm

El Gunner wrote:Who would want to argue against me, that putting his negative side aside, Suarez is the best player in the PL...?

Define "best player".

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm

El Gunner wrote:Who would want to argue against me, that putting his negative side aside, Suarez is the best player in the PL...?

if you forget the negative side.. then not even the best striker in PL.. RIP.. hmm
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Wilson37 wrote:

if you forget the negative side.. then not even the best striker in PL.. RIP.. hmm
So who is better. RvP? Aguero? Bale?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:48 pm

El Gunner wrote:
Wilson37 wrote:

arguably RIP better than Suarez.. Aguero is nowhere near..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Suarez is a terrific player, especially if we could magically bracket off the many negatives he brings. But I wouldn't say he's the best player in the league, and not quite even the best in (roughly) his position. For strikers/center forwards in the PL these days, I'd say

1. RvP
2. Suarez
3. Rooney
4. Aguero

And this is weighting recent performances more than overall achievement. (Obviously we can't count "the old Torres," who was once upon a time certainly good enough to be on a list like this.) But I don't put a whole lot of stock in the order - except that I'd say RvP is definitely the best, and has been over the last 2 or 2.5 seasons. Aguero is a great player who didn't have a tremendous season last year, but we'll see how he does in his third year at City. I think if Rooney finds form, wherever he ends up playing, he can very feasibly eclipse Suarez again. (I'd definitely be happier to see Arsenal spend 30-40m on Rooney than 45-55m on Suarez.) So anyway I think spots 2-4 round out the 'elites.'

Not saying there aren't very good forwards outside of this group (e.g. Walcott, Berbatov) ...
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 pm

I consider myself a rational fan, and I don't doubt his ability one bit, but it would take him scoring 30+ goals a season and not a single instance of controversy or attempted cheating for several seasons straight before I would ever call myself a Luis Suarez fan. I can't stand his whiny, bitchy attitude to begin with; I don't like any players who carry themselves that way and I don't want to see anyone like that representing this club. I would rather Rooney ffs. I mean, he whines, but he's not a little bitch :coffee:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Wilson37 wrote:
El Gunner wrote:
Wilson37 wrote:

arguably RIP better than Suarez.. Aguero is nowhere near..

Wow....

The season before Aguero carried City to the league, he had a bad year last year for a number of reasons.

But to say Aguero is nowhere near is very silly.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:10 pm

so half of the board dont want him
or have Non-Arsenal fans voted Clubber
Sina
Sina