Firenze
McAgger
sportsczy
59 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Bale and CR7 Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Bale and CR7 Thread

Post by jibers Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:10 am

sportsczy wrote:Just to put things in perspective, Drogba scored a total of 16 goals in all comps his first year at Chelsea and 16 again in his second year...  He was being rotated those 2 years (averaged 30 starts and 10 subs).  Once he was handed the keys and given a chance to be the clear #1 at his position his 3rd year, he took off (54 starts in his 3rd year).  If he was at Madrid, he'd never have made it...

Drogba joined Chelsea at the age of 26.
I can confirm...

I am Drogba after he became clear #1...

jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

why do we put age into this? players have different development curves

and i recall otherwise anyway, Drogba was getting injured a lot in those first two seasons at chelsea, and even after that.

the guy had like two seasons over 30 goals in 8 years at chelsea, the rest he never went above 20... not a prolific scorer.

the legend of drogba is overrated, mainly by his CL winning season with clutch performances, and other clutch goals vs big teams (nice CL record tho).

Last edited by Mr Nick09 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:why do we put age into this? players have different development curves

and i recall otherwise anyway, Drogba was getting injured a lot in those first two seasons at chelsea, and even after that.

the guy had like two seasons over 30 goals in 8 years, the rest he never went above 20... not a prolific scorer.

the legend of drogba is overrated, mainly by his CL winning season with clutch performances, and other clutch goals vs big teams.
Are you really saying that Drogba is overrated? Shocked
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:19 pm

if you put him up against guys like Etoo, yes
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Ok, i'll forget what i just read and move on Laughing
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:25 pm

what's drogba doing in this discussion anyway? Drogba always had balls, where are benzema's?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Drogba had one good season in his career before the age of 28 and was being talked about as a flop at Chelsea because of his "lack of a winning mentality" after his subpar start in the EPL.  His efficiency was atrocious his first 2 years where he was around 12% and not scoring enough.

He was thought of as a 1 year wonder who was only good enough for Ligue 1.  His CL exploits in his year at OM were considered flukes.

Pretty similar if you ask me, except Benz is 25 and has achieved a ton more.  Not saying he will turn into Drogba or close to it... but everyone dismissed the effects of injuries and rotation back then with Drogba just like they are now with Benz and Higuain.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 pm

how about we compare Zidane and gourcuff now too?

Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Thierry Henry is another example btw. He flopped hard at Juventus since they played him out of position. Wenger picked him up and, once he was allowed to play in his proper role, he broke out.

His mentality was again the big question mark.

It seems that whenever a very talented players gets misused, it's his "mentality" that's the problem, not the club or the manager's use of him, especially with big clubs.

Berbatov is another prime example.

Oldest story in the book.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:how about we compare Zidane and gourcuff now too?

If Zidane had stayed at DM with Juve (which would have happened without the intervention of Platini), then we would be talking about his "mentality" more than his achievements too.

Gourcuff was ruined by injuries. Completely different case. I also think the criticism towards him is a bit unfair since the guy can't stay healthy. It's a shame moreso than a "mentality" problem.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 pm

not following down that path mate, for something like that to even happen, Benzema needs a manager that absolutely believes in him like Mou did in Drogba and Wenger in Henry. THose guys are unique success storis of footy imo, i know better than assuming that any struggling player can have that kind of turnaround.

french generation 87 is rotten with players with crappy attitudes and mentality.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Every single player required that a manager believe in him.

You want a more recent example?  Wenger with RVP.  His "mentality" was highly questioned too Laughing

Also, Higuain has a big chance to get into the elite class as Benitez is handing him the keys basically.  His whole "CL mentality" stuff could very well go out the window.

These are not exceptions.  We're talking about some the best players over the past 15 years that struggled because of mismanagement and "miraculously" became great once they were trusted and used properly.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:09 pm

that's settled then, Benzema needs Wenger, even if it didnt completely work for Adebayor. There is still hope for Demba Ba then, Cisse, and Remy...
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:43 pm

How about SAF giving RVN a chance despite RVN being out with injury for practically the entire season at Eindhoven the year before.  he was 25 when SAF brought him in.

How about SAF giving Cantona a chance when he had retired from footy in 1991 and being at Nimes and Leeds the previous 2 years.

Point is, a lot of these greats went through a difficult period but had a manager give them a shot to redeem themselves.  Not a half chance with rotation or having them play out of position... they gave them an honest to goodness shot and they proved them right.  The common denominator?  Talent, but alleged questionable mentality.

Madrid is just horrible at trusting players.  Heck, we don't even trust our own cantera lol.  Sneijder, Robben and Huntelaar are recent examples of that.

My point is that instead of insulting a player's mentality.... maybe it's the environment?  Is that unreasonable to think about??

Benz and Higuain didn't even have bad seasons given the circumstances.  They just couldn't produce at a 100% when playing time was inconsistent.  They got battle fatigued.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Same typical blindness shown by some fans who watch the game selectively, chelsea game is another a perfect example, cr took his usual 10+ shots to get 2 goals Laughing, but that shouldn't bother benzema, imo he should keep running non stop like a headless chicken so at least he looks passionate Laughing 

You guys want rvp like performance when he can't even get a pass in a good position, cr needs to hang back and let benzema get a chance they are partners in the attack, not hero and sidekick
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:33 pm

hang back? are you on cafeine? how about benzema steps up, ever considered that? lol

they are very much hero and sidekick by the way, and benzema likes it. Otherwise he turns into DMzema like with france. please
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Who steps up after watching cr blasts shots into defender legs or over bar scratch

By your logic rooney and rvp should be killing it right? also tell me about zlatan and messi? who failed to step up there
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:15 pm

chad4401 wrote:Who steps up after watching cr blasts shots into defender legs or over bar scratch

By your logic rooney and rvp should be killing it right? also tell me about zlatan and messi? who failed to step up there
Yes Ronaldo taking shots is why Benzema plays poorly every other game. That entire notion is ludicrous.

He has the same problems with France do they have a "CR" as well? Or are all those boos he gets at the Stade de France an ironic sign of affection? lol

Benzema needs to be in the box more and smarter with his positioning. His hold up play is great, his finishing is great and he's great at creating space for himself, if I had all these qualities I would try to get into the box as much as possible. I'm willing to bet if he had more of a box presence he'd be getting the ball waaaay more often and as such would get more touches. When he is closer to the halfway line than the goal no one should cry about Cristiano shooting instead of passing to him.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Benzema plays poorly?

This whole discussion was about benzema not being a "presence" in the box and everything that has been brought up is to support why in fact that is.

Having CR on our team is great. He's an amazing player and we all appreciate him. But our style revolves around him. And it's not a bad thing. But you can bring in literally any "9" you want. And the end result will be the same.

CR will get the most goals. With whoever our next "9" being second to him. It happened with Higuian and Benzema. You guys just believe bringing in bale, WHO ISN'T A 9 BTW, will change much.

We are playing great, if use our preseason so far to judge.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Funny how NT is a big argument cause benzema is struggling atm, i guess that fair point considering 3 dm midfield they use, anyway its not only benzema that struggles cause the last time i check higuain is the ultimate 9 and has box presence guess what? he gets off 2 shots a game just like dmzema, so dmguain then? Proud.

We have better passing and midfield play so why is cr still taking 10+ shots a game and benzema 2? the team is filled with WC passer you guys telling me they can't find benzema anywhere on the pitch if they wanted? he is not hiding ffs Laughing how many times has he raised his hand for a pass and been ignored Laughing, i forgot you guys never noticed such thing.

Remember when cr hogged the ball and take 10 useless shots and almost everyone turned on him when we lost? now he is doing almost the same thing but actually scoring against stronger teams consistently, everyone loves him still being a cancer Laughing, he scored 50+ goals and we win didn't crap but its not his fault it was benzema and higuain fault
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Easy there Chad.  Benz has responsibility too...  if he feels ignored, he needs to assert himself.  At some point, he has to become selfish a bit and stop being a team guy.

CR7 is and should be the focal point.  He's been outstanding.  Prior to 2012, he was terrible in big games... but that's no longer the case. HOWEVER, We need to not force it to CR7 so much. It will come back to bite us again because teams like Bayern will force us to go elsewhere and we won't be ready if we're not a bit more balanced.

My gripe is this:
-  Benz and Higuain were great soldiers and worked hard.  The one who is here now deserves a look... he earned it.  We're a year away from Benguain scoring the most goals ever from the CF position (probably assists too).  Last year was a mess for almost everyone... give the kid a break ffs.
-  Fair enough if we had bought Falcao, Cavani, Ibra or Rooney.  But frakkin Bale!  Give me a break.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Z, i'm going to the store, gonna get chains to hold off CR, you need anything?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:25 pm

chad4401 wrote:Funny how NT is a big argument cause benzema is struggling atm, i guess that fair point considering 3 dm midfield they use, anyway its not only benzema that struggles cause the last time i check higuain is the ultimate 9 and has box presence guess what? he gets off 2 shots a game just like dmzema, so dmguain then? Proud.
He hasn't scored in more than 1000 minutes for France despite being the main man on that team. Obviously there are other factors at play but I think it goes a long way to debunk the "bwig buwooy Cristiano won't pass Benzy da ball!!"

Higuain is one of Argentina's top scorers and if you check his heat maps he gives the opposing CB's something to think about whenever he's on the pitch.

chad4401 wrote:We have better passing and midfield play so why is cr still taking 10+ shots a game and benzema 2? the team is filled with WC passer you guys telling me they can't find benzema anywhere on the pitch if they wanted? he is not hiding ffs :lol:how many times has he raised his hand for a pass and been ignored Laughing, i forgot you guys never noticed such thing.
Maybe it's because these "world class passers" find Cristiano in better positions, which is why they pass to him more? They pass to Cristiano because Cristiano puts himself in great positions and he demands the ball. Benzema's positioning is actually great on the counter but not good enough during other phases of play, that's just my opinion.

chad4401 wrote:Remember when cr hogged the ball and take 10 useless shots and almost everyone turned on him when we lost? now he is doing almost the same thing but actually scoring against stronger teams consistently everyone loves him still being a cancer he scored 50+ goal and we win didn't crap but its not his fault it was benzema and higuain fault
I wasn't one of those morons.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:Z, i'm going to the store, gonna get chains to hold off CR, you need anything?
Benz could probably use a GPS system hmm
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 pm

sportsczy wrote:Easy there Chad.  Benz has responsibility too...  if he feels ignored, he needs to assert himself.  At some point, he has to become selfish a bit and stop being a team guy.

CR7 is and should be the focal point.  He's been outstanding.  Prior to 2012, he was terrible in big games... but that's no longer the case.  HOWEVER, We need to not force it to CR7 so much.  It will come back to bite us again because teams like Bayern will force us to go elsewhere and we won't be ready if we're not a bit more balanced.

My gripe is this:
-  Benz and Higuain were great soldiers and worked hard.  The one who is here now deserves a look... he earned it.  We're a year away from Benguain scoring the most goals ever from the CF position (probably assists too).  Last year was a mess for almost everyone... give the kid a break ffs.
-  Fair enough if we had bought Falcao, Cavani, Ibra or Rooney.  But frakkin Bale!  Give me a break.
Fully agree with all of this.

I'm willing to give Benzema a full season, I mean he only has one glaring problem imo. He's pretty great at everything else besides heading lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:38 pm

sportsczy wrote:Easy there Chad.  Benz has responsibility too...  if he feels ignored, he needs to assert himself.  At some point, he has to become selfish a bit and stop being a team guy.

CR7 is and should be the focal point.  He's been outstanding.  Prior to 2012, he was terrible in big games... but that's no longer the case.  HOWEVER, We need to not force it to CR7 so much.  It will come back to bite us again because teams like Bayern will force us to go elsewhere and we won't be ready if we're not a bit more balanced.

My gripe is this:
-  Fair enough if we had bought Suarez, Falcao, Cavani, Ibra or Rooney.  But frakkin Bale!  Give me a break.
well said, fully agree Very Happy
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next