Roy Keane claims we have been "brainwashed" into believing the Premier League is Europe's finest

+36
RED
Arquitecto
Kaladin
Adit
BeautifulGame
Nishankly
Robespierre
Art Morte
lszanto
free_cat
Highburied
Magic Spray
sportsczy
futbol
Hapless_Hans
BORUSSIA!!
che
urbaNRoots
halamadrid2
sree999
DeletedUser#1
Forza
Gil
S
Red Alert
Donuts
McAgger
chad4401
Dnmac4
Blue Barrett
izzy
Doc
Firenze
Lex
Raptorgunner
Winter is Coming
40 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Roy Keane claims we have been "brainwashed" into believing the Premier League is Europe's finest - Page 2 Empty Re: Roy Keane claims we have been "brainwashed" into believing the Premier League is Europe's finest

Post by Gil Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:05 am

Donuts wrote:and whose fault is it for playing with 10 men?
what a dumb reason, maybe if they played and fouled fairly they wouldn't have that problem.

Are you daft? Who here is claiming both decisions weren't justified?

The argument we're making is that both games weren't indicative of anything. Bayern/Barca just benefited from the man advantage. Which they clearly did.

No one knows how either game would have played out if it stayed 11v11.

Last edited by Gil on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Roy Keane claims we have been "brainwashed" into believing the Premier League is Europe's finest - Page 2 Empty Re: Roy Keane claims we have been "brainwashed" into believing the Premier League is Europe's finest

Post by halamadrid2 Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:06 am

I don't think Barca/Bayern would have collapsed like that had they played 10 men. In fact they probably would have played better. The fact that Arsenal/City need 11 men to have a chance to draw or knick a win just shows how far off the top they are.

It's like they are threading a thin line, be careful or we will lose because we can't beat/draw teams with 10 player. What a petty excuse
halamadrid2
halamadrid2
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:10 am

The PL is the most competitive, balanced and unpredictable league in the world, but the top teams are not as good as the other top teams in other top leagues (Germany and Spain).

Last edited by urbaNRoots on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:11 am

Gil wrote:

The argument we're making is that both games weren't indicative of anything. Bayern/Barca just benefited from the man advantage. Which they clearly did.

both games are indicative of the fact that neither city nor arsenal could keep up with a top european team without making enormous mistakes that they were duly punished for

this excuse is absolutely hilarious... no boss, i didn't lose our company millions by oversleeping, see, nobody knows what would have happened if i hadn't overslept, so it's not like i'm worse than my colleagues

the complete lack of self-awareness in here is astounding
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by BORUSSIA!! Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:15 am

Gil wrote:
Donuts wrote:and whose fault is it for playing with 10 men?
what a dumb reason, maybe if they played and fouled fairly they wouldn't have that problem.

messi would most likely score his 1v1 and someone as fast as Robben is definitely capable of getting to the ball and finishing it with his preferred left foot into the open goal. Both teams up 1-0.

BORUSSIA!!
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:22 am

Of course Dmac quotes me without actually making reference to anything I wrote and instead went on his own tandem.

Sigh. I'm not defending nor chastising the EPL, I reckon this forum has enough of that already. What I am doing is (in my own words) trying separate the heaviness in Keane's judgement to what maybe the reality. And I use the word "maybe" as I'm sure we all have our own versions of "reality". Yes, Man Utd misrepresented the EPL in the same way Juventus misrepresented Serie A, Real Madrid misrepresented La Liga for 7 odd years, Leverkusen with Bundesliga, etc. It doesn't mean the league is crap or in Keane's words, people are brainwashed into thinking it's good, it's simply means (to me) that those aforementioned teams did not do the league's reputation any justice as the quality is still there to be seen (if you want to see it).

Also, it's Man Utd, who doesn't like laughing at their expense?!
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 am

Gil wrote:
Forza wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:
Somehow the fact that they were both playing with 10 men seems to skip the minds of people.
Is that some kind of excuse? I think players who get red cards are directly responsible for that. It's not as if either of the red cards was unwarranted. At the beginning of each game, both teams had 11 men. The fact is that Bayern and Barca are 2 of the top candidates for the final this year and proved themselves as superior teams in those games.

Give it a rest. Both games were tied at 0-0 and Bayern/City were both being outplayed at the time.

Beating a team with ten men means nothing.
Wrong. It means your team is better disciplined and that is an advantage in itself. This is not a computer game that you can quit and do a rematch because you don't like how they panned out. Red cards happen and in both of these cases they are the direct result of poorly executed skills by the respective home teams which allowed attackers to get into dangerous positions, followed by poorly executed tackles to warrant the red cards. Also, credit should be given to Munich and Barca for creating those chances.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 am

urbaNRoots wrote:The PL is the most competitive, balanced and unpredictable league in the world, but the top teams are not as good as the other top teams in other top leagues (Germany and Spain).

I don't know if I agree.
I would say one of the major strengths of the Premier League is the number and quality of top teams.
You don't really have something like a top 4 anywhere else. As for the competitiveness and the balance, I don't know. I think the quality of lower and midtable teams in the PL isn't that high as the openness and tactical recklessness with which all ties are played might suggest.

I would agree however that using these latest results to judge league strenghts isn't really compelling.
Arsenal and City came up against Barca and us, but it's not like it was a huge insurmountable difference in those ties.
And Utd, well it's no coincidence they're 6th in the league. I doubt whether Gladbach or San Sebastian would have brushed Olympiakos aside on their home turf, either.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 am

I don't know why people keep saying competitive = entertaining and exciting, when I don't believe its always the case.

Keane here is correct that the EPL is a market tool, not saying the league sucks, or isn't competitive. I just think most English clubs don't play to their strength and when they meet the other elite teams outside of the PL they become very passive and try to defend more then attack be it at home, away or neutral ground. The one thing that benefits them the most is Roman and Sheikh Mansour had it not been for them they wouldn't have most the talent in the league right now and the league table would've been much different. Hell it probably be better for Arsenal and Liverpool right now.

Even if they English teams got eliminated before the next round wouldn't mean they're on a decline or anything.
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 am

It's called Mule League for a reason.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:14 am

EPL has the most money so the league depth is the best. But the elite of the EPL aren't as good as the rest of the top leagues. The top teams in EPL all have clear flaws. You can't say that about Madrid, bayern, barca, etc... Those teams have areas of relative weakness compared to other parts of their team. But they are not weak anywhere.

The closest team in EPL to reach that completeness is Chelsea.... they're only a CF away. But until then, they have a flagrant flaw too.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic Spray Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 am

What he said is 100% true and the replies in this thread prove it. EPL is the most competitive league but definitely doesn't have top teams near the quality found in Germany and Spain.
Magic Spray
Magic Spray
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:36 am

EPL is the best for every team that plays in it because you know you will get your fair share and you know Buyern will not be knocking on the door for every talent you have.

Any team in La Liga (minus two disgraceful clubs Real and Barcelona) or Bundesliga (minus Buyern) would love to play in EPL
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:39 am

Firenze wrote:

PL when judged as a whole, being the best in the world, is certainly not nonsense.

Surely the best in fans, passion, money, brand, marketing and broadcasting.

The best in team quality... well, that's very much debatable.

free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lszanto Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 am

Outside of Bayern I doubt there is another team you could put in the league and have them be favourites.

Current form liverpool would blow barcelona apart imo and they aren't even in CL.
lszanto
lszanto
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 am

The best team in Germany and the two best teams in Spain are better than Premier League's best team(s) right now. PSG might be better as well. But if you take the top-10 teams from every league, I think the Premier League has the most quality.

Not that it really matters what everyone's opinion on the best league is. Just try and enjoy following the league you like the best (where your club plays).
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:43 am

By the way, just a question I feel like putting out there: Two seasons ago the Champions League was won by the team that finished that season 6th in the Premier League. Which other league has that kind of quality that their 6th-placed club might win that season's CL? hmm
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 am

Blue Barrett wrote:Nonsense.

I'm pretty sure if Liverpool or even Everton had played this Olympiakos team they would have beaten them handily. Much less City, Chelsea or Arsenal. Please.

Also, what Doc said about Arsenal & City is spot on.
agreed
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 am

Art Morte wrote:By the way, just a question I feel like putting out there: Two seasons ago the Champions League was won by the team that finished that season 6th in the Premier League. Which other league has that kind of quality that their 6th-placed club might win that season's CL? hmm

in last 10 years it's 2nd time who happens, as you'll remember well in 2005 and always an EPL club so
yes that's a good point
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by che Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 am

Art Morte wrote:By the way, just a question I feel like putting out there: Two seasons ago the Champions League was won by the team that finished that season 6th in the Premier League.

that's what happens when you give up on the domestic league because you're severely underachieving and concentrate all effort and resources on the cl... can't afford to do that if you're in a title race
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 am

just 3 months ago there was some irony because United destroyed the Leverkusen in Germany Laughing
it's all relative, Swansea midtable EPL club stopped the Napoli 3rd Serie A and it deserved widely to win , Juventus was eliminated even from Galatasaray but I don't think we are worse than Greek league ( Aristotle's syllogism:)  or Turkey league
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:06 am

lszanto wrote:Outside of Bayern I doubt there is another team you could put in the league and have them be favourites.

Current form liverpool would blow barcelona apart imo and they aren't even in CL.

Same Liverpool that is way behind Man City?

free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am

Robespierre wrote:
Blue Barrett wrote:Nonsense.

I'm pretty sure if Liverpool or even Everton had played this Olympiakos team they would have beaten them handily. Much less City, Chelsea or Arsenal. Please.

Also, what Doc said about Arsenal & City is spot on.
agreed
You guys really don't know how tough Olympiakos is at home... check your history and then come back.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 am

halamadrid2 wrote:I don't think Barca/Bayern would have collapsed like that had they played 10 men. In fact they probably would have played better. The fact that Arsenal/City need 11 men to have a chance to draw or knick a win just shows how far off the top they are
Why isn't there a rule in place to stop complete and utter verbal AIDS like this being spewed? You should be banned for such trash. I wish I could eat your hamster in front of you so you too could feel the pain and confusion I felt reading this twoddle
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Honestly I see halamadrid's point, if Barça or Buyern played with 10 men against 11, they wouldn't have struggled as much as Arsenal and City did. When Szczesny and Demichelis went off, both games were over from that moment and I don't think it would be the case if the situation was reversed and Neuer/Mascherano were sent off.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Barcelona struggle in La Liga with 11 men, why should we assume they would not only be ok, but be better with 10 men? Laughing
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next