El Gunner
Twoism
Arsenalfaithfull
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Francis Coquelin - Page 2 Empty Re: Francis Coquelin

Post by Sri Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Well the fact that he's better than Flamini was never in contention - the question is, is he going to take up the mantle from Flamini or from Arteta? I can imagine him doing a squad role, like Flamini does now, but not as a calming passmaster deep midfield playmaker like Arteta. I was kinda hoping Ramsey would take up from Arteta, but he's too gung ho about getting forward to try and get on the scoresheet.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

via Squawka:

Francis Coquelin's game by numbers:

7 headers won (88%)
2 tackles won (100%)
6 interceptions
11 clearances
3 blocks.

and that was with a visibly exhausted Ramsey beside him. He did his part well. No one is saying we don't need another DM but he's made a case for his future here. You're getting ahead of yourself if you say it's as a starter over the span of a 50 game season but it's fair to say he's deserving of a new contract.

Our midfield will be without Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Diaby in the next few years, we've got the space.

He's surprisingly good in the air btw. He's not too short at 1.78m but he wins a huge portion of his aerial duels, better than a lot of midfielders taller than him, surprisingly, including Matic.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Coquelin should play ahead of Flamini, Arteta but wenger needs to bring a quality CDM because we dont know if Coquelin will perform constantly until the end of the season.

I am very impressed and i like his style of play.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:29 pm

once you get a guy playing well, you ride him. Juve did that with Pogba and PSG did that with Verratti.... not saying Coquelin is anywhere near as good because he's not lol. But he's only 23 and it's worth giving it a go. Nobody on Arsenal has his profile... i remember on the France U23 squad that had Varane, Mangala, Griezmann, Lacazette and Cabella, he was one of the better players.

If his performance drops, then bring him out.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:26 pm

http://gfycat.com/ApprehensiveDapperElver

Molenation
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:49 am

^ Some really rational posts here. Proud

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:41 pm

sportsczy wrote:once you get a guy playing well, you ride him. Juve did that with Pogba and PSG did that with Verratti.... not saying Coquelin is anywhere near as good because he's not lol. But he's only 23 and it's worth giving it a go. Nobody on Arsenal has his profile... i remember on the France U23 squad that had Varane, Mangala, Griezmann, Lacazette and Cabella, he was one of the better players.

If his performance drops, then bring him out.

In case it didnt work, Juve had/have Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asamoah, etc.

We are very short in that area regardless Coquelin's form.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:21 pm

In this kind of defense-first game Coquelin found a great rhythm. He completed 33/38 passes, just one of them putting his team in trouble. He made 10 ball recoveries (tied with Cazorla). He had the 6 interceptions. Led all players with 11 clearances (6 of which were headed clearances!). And won 7/8 aerial duels, including several which took real balls to challenge for. And you know what? He didn’t commit a single foul.

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/01/man-city-0-2-arsenal-cazorla-cazorla-cazorla-by-the-numbers/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Coquelin's contract is also up in the summer btw

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:36 pm

srigooner wrote:Coquelin's contract is also up in the summer btw

Flamini is probably telling Coq all the cautionary tales of getting a big head and leaving Arsenal on a free after breaking through as a DM. Laughing

Honestly as long as this is the Coq we see, and not the one who struggled in the wilderness the last couple seasons, I'm all for giving him a nice new contract.

Özil, Cazorla, Coq, Rambo, Wilshere, not to mention the option of the Ox, and up-and-comers like Zelalem and Crowley ... that's a great midfield roster for next season, if we could add a Schneiderlin or a Gundogan who knows what it could help achieve.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:01 pm

Much injuries in that roster, I see. Razz

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:33 pm

on Coquelin returning to the club…
I saw that he made huge improvements in training and I explained to him that for me to give him a potential chance, he needed match practice. I could not give him that, I could give him that only if he played somewhere else before. He took the challenge, he came back and since I have played him, he is doing well.

on whether he can be long-term solution…
Yes, of course. He is a very young player. You look just at what happens on the pitch. Win the ball and make a good pass, in his position that is important.

on offering him a new deal…
Yes, we have offered him a new deal. I am confident that it will be done.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150122/extra-wenger-on-coquelin-and-confidence

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Sunday People Sport understands Coquelin is happy with the terms of the new deal and is keen to stay on at the Emirates, but that he will take the coming weeks to assess whether or not Wenger finally sees him as a regular starter before making his final decision.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-news-transfers-37million-bid-5038718

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:48 pm

He only has to compete with Flamini right now. It's going to be harder for him when Jack and Arteta are fit and next season if/when we reinforce our midfield.

Don't know if he'll be a 'regular starter' but he can take up Flamini's mantle. He got plenty of time.

These next few months will basically be them competing against each other to earn their spot in the squad next season. Coq is about four miles ahead of Flam.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Fours too less ffs

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Arsene Wenger says Francis Coquelin's new deal is "99%" done.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain reveals insatiable love for Coq.

“He's been really patient and I’m sure there’s been tough times for him since he’s been at the club,” Alex told the official matchday programme.

“I know everyone here has always known what a talent he’s been, it’s just been a case of the numbers and the type of personnel that we’ve had. It can be hard.

“As a young lad, sometimes you do feel the wrong end of that and those are the times when some people need to go out on loan to find their way.

“He’s been abroad and in the Championship but he’s never lost his quality and sometimes it’s all about luck and opportunities.

“Since he’s come back, he’s taken his opportunities, he’s taken his chances to show how good he is and now I see him as a big part of our team. He is a really influential and key part to our success, especially at Manchester City.

“In recent weeks we’ve seen it but the Manchester City game really showed how important he is and how good he is. Hopefully that will continue for him because it’s good for us as well."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150130/ox-coquelin-deserves-his-opportunity
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:06 am

As Sky tried desperately today to make something interesting out of a deadline day on which the biggest move was Robert Huth to Leicester, they interviewed the Arsenal legend who was quick to praise Coquelin’s resurgence.

“For me the best thing they’ve done is bring Coquelin back from Charlton,” he said.

“Maybe if he hadn’t come back and played the way he did recently, Arsene would have gone and bought a defensive midfielder.

“He has been amazing, Arsenal don’t look like they will concede, they can score and he gave everyone protection everybody was talking about.

“Sometimes you look for that player and they are right in front of you. But the guy has matured, he went on loan, and knows he had to perform and he is doing it.”

Nevertheless, Henry didn’t rule out Wenger making a purchase in the off-season.

“What Coquelin does is allow you to go for the player you want in the summer, because in January you go for the player that is available.

“Coquelin allowed Arsene to go for someone he really wants, or if Coquelin does the job really well, he can stay.”

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/02/henry-praise-for-amazing-coquelin/

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am

Francis Coquelin has signed a new deal at Arsenal which will keep him at the club until 2019.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:30 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11397040/Arsenal-news-How-Francis-Coquelin-has-proved-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-wrong.html

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:18 am

Anything about Fergie being wrong about a midfielder and Coquelin's career revival is worth one of my ten free Telegraph monthly articles. Cool
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:20 am

Exactly. (I should have copied the article here, in hindsight)

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:02 am

MJ wrote:Anything about Fergie being wrong about a midfielder and Coquelin's career revival is worth one of my ten free Telegraph monthly articles. Cool

you are aware that all you need to do is delete the Telegraph cookies, and the count starts anew? Smile
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:03 am

Hans :bow:

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:33 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:
MJ wrote:Anything about Fergie being wrong about a midfielder and Coquelin's career revival is worth one of my ten free Telegraph monthly articles. Cool

you are aware that all you need to do is delete the Telegraph cookies, and the count starts anew? Smile

Was not aware but never exceeded 10 anyway, thanks for the tip, really could come in Hansy.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:12 pm

This is a fantastic article on Coquelin.

http://arseblog.com/2015/04/tactics-column-francis-coquelin-rises-from-the-shadows-to-take-centre-stage/
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next