why riquelme is so underrated in goallegacy?

+33
Doc
Lupi
DuringTheWar
neuro11
Rebaño Sagrado
LeBéninois
zigra
billy_gr
farfan
Cassius
Lord Awesome
titosantill
Hapless_Hans
Unique
The Franchise
Robespierre
Glory
Valkyrja
Kaladin
Deja Vu
Lord Spencer
Socur Toxanarosa
M99
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Donuts
Ganso
futbol
BarrileteCosmico
McAgger
Kick
RealGunner
Freeza
guest_07
37 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

why riquelme is so underrated in goallegacy? - Page 4 Empty Re: why riquelme is so underrated in goallegacy?

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat May 23, 2015 8:34 pm

guest_07, you're one of a kind :bow:

which is, btw, also the answer to the thread's question hmm

Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

why riquelme is so underrated in goallegacy? - Page 4 Empty Re: why riquelme is so underrated in goallegacy?

Post by Freeza Sat May 23, 2015 8:35 pm

M99 wrote:
guest_07 wrote:
The Franchise wrote:

but in the end, when we ask to whoever about who was among the best performer in that wc, i dare say no one mention his name

underrated at the highest order

Yes and that is is because Zidane, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Gattuso, Buffon and Klose all performed better.

Something weird about this quote hmm

Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sat May 23, 2015 8:53 pm

he is rated just right. the terms "underrated" and "overrated" have become overused (lol) these days. i notice what happens is, people pick out a player or an ex-player who was at the pinnacle of the game and immediately attach the "overrated" term behind it and begin to look for ways to discredit them. i bet if you google "michael jordan overrated" there will be tons of "articles" up to discredit his value to the game.

in the same vein, there are players who though fantastic in their prime, may never have reached that top pinnacle and maybe that's the reason they aren't as talked about, and immediately people attach the "underrated" tag to them and go as far as characterizing them as the best since sliced bread.

as far as the riquelme-xavi comparisons, riquelme was an attacking midfielder imo (maybe in his latter years in boca he converted to central), his ability to play deep passes and dictate tempo is probably why people categorize him as a central mid. but to play central you have to be defensively astute as well. xavi's a central mid, riquelme isn't....different positions

and as for the attacking mid. if i was to start a team selection based on the era riquelme played, there are a host of attacking midfielders i'll go for before him.....no disrespect to him, he's probably more skillful and maybe even more talented than most of those midfielders i'll have selected, but as far as results oriented and approach to the game, i just have other considerations.....and that's no disrespect to riquelme, he's style is probably even more fun to watch than the guys i'd pick before him
titosantill
titosantill
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 1:41 am

MR BOND wrote:
guest_07 wrote:
Kick wrote:Perhaps you overrate him? hmm

perhaps..............

but the way i look at the riquelme video's thread that i created, it shows otherwise
ow no. a youtube fan. cheers

because the world underrated him so much, there are only a few evidences that show the greatness of him

thanks to his diehard fan, they provide many videos that prove how great he was

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 1:46 am

M99 wrote:
guest_07 wrote:

but in the end, when we ask to whoever about who was among the best performer in that wc, i dare say no one mention his name

Yes and that is is because Zidane, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Gattuso, Buffon and Klose all performed better.

yes, how can i change the opinion of thousands of people

same like how can i change the opinion of thousands of people that think justin bieber is one of the best singer in the world

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sun May 24, 2015 1:47 am

guest_07 wrote:
M99 wrote:
guest_07 wrote:

same like how can i change the opinion of thousands of people that think justin bieber is one of the best singer in the world

It's obvious though that Riquelme is the best singer in the world
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 1:53 am

Freeza wrote:
guest_07 wrote:
M99 wrote:

It's obvious though that Riquelme is the best singer in the world

freeza, you always troll me, but its ok, i can accept it, i'm open minded

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:guest_07, you're one of a kind :bow:

which is, btw, also the answer to the thread's question hmm

Hapless_Hans, i think you want to say that i'm overrated him much?

you can condemn me like hell if what i did are based on lie, baseless statement or etc

now, we're talking about player who been voted best player in all time in one of the most successful club in the football history in term of international trophies above maradona

now, we're talking about player who been voted best player in all time in 2 different clubs

now, we're talking about player who successfully assisted (direct or indirect) 2 different strikers in 2 different leagues in becoming the top scorer for their league

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 2:19 am

titosantill wrote:he is rated just right. the terms "underrated" and "overrated" have become overused (lol) these days. i notice what happens is, people pick out a player or an ex-player who was at the pinnacle of the game and immediately attach the "overrated" term behind it and begin to look for ways to discredit them. i bet if you google "michael jordan overrated" there will be tons of "articles" up to discredit his value to the game.

in the same vein, there are players who though fantastic in their prime, may never have reached that top pinnacle and maybe that's the reason they aren't as talked about, and immediately people attach the "underrated" tag to them and go as far as characterizing them as the best since sliced bread.

as far as the riquelme-xavi comparisons, riquelme was an attacking midfielder imo (maybe in his latter years in boca he converted to central), his ability to play deep passes and dictate tempo is probably why people categorize him as a central mid. but to play central you have to be defensively astute as well. xavi's a central mid, riquelme isn't....different positions

and as for the attacking mid. if i was to start a team selection based on the era riquelme played, there are a host of attacking midfielders i'll go for before him.....no disrespect to him, he's probably more skillful and maybe even more talented than most of those midfielders i'll have selected, but as far as results oriented and approach to the game, i just have other considerations.....and that's no disrespect to riquelme, he's style is probably even more fun to watch than the guys i'd pick before him

you're probably right

he was only interested in attacking & don't bother to defend

to him, attacking player should do attacking job only

that's why many coaches of euro big clubs did not want him

but from what i observe, wherever he been given free role in that squad (club or country), success fall pouring into that squad

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun May 24, 2015 3:24 am

Truth is, he's underrated here in GL because there aren't too many Villareal fans. Barca fans would sing songs about him had he shown his best at the club but sadly, like Maradonna, he only showed his best at a club whose support here in GL is non-existant.

Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 3:30 am

Lord Awesome wrote:Truth is, he's underrated here in GL because there aren't too many Villareal fans. Barca fans would sing songs about him had he shown his best at the club but sadly, like Maradonna, he only showed his best at a club whose support here in GL is non-existant.

i'm agreed with you, Lord Awesome

mind you, barca was the only club he had not been given a free role playmaker

what you expect when the coach is named van gaal, Smile

only true fan knows what was the strength & weakness of his idol

casual fan don't, perhaps..............

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 3:50 am

i rated him as the best attacking midfield in this decade

& the reply i always got was, they called me delusional, unrealistic or etc, although i have shown countless of evidences, they treat me like i shown them baseless or lie evidence, lol

that is what i called underrated

another thing, they don't know how to respect other's opinion

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun May 24, 2015 9:34 am

Lord Awesome wrote:Truth is, he's underrated here in GL because there aren't too many Villareal fans. Barca fans would sing songs about him had he shown his best at the club but sadly, like Maradonna, he only showed his best at a club whose support here in GL is non-existant.

How does that comparison make sense? Maradona is universally (Brazil exluded for obvious reasons) accepted as a GOAT, if not THE GOAT, regardless of club allegiances. Nothing to do with what club one supports. Riquelme was simply not relevant enough in European/elite level football. 2 great seasons with Villarreal which didn't even amount to anything and some Intertoto, Toyota and Confed Cup performances is hardly something that football fans will remember. The list of oldschool number 10s that don't quite get the recognition outside of football hipsters is long. Aimar and Valeron to just name 2 who played in La Liga in the same era as Riquelme.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 9:59 am

Fußball wrote:How does that comparison make sense? Maradona is universally (Brazil exluded for obvious reasons) accepted as a GOAT, if not THE GOAT, regardless of club allegiances. Nothing to do with what club one supports. Riquelme was simply not relevant enough in European/elite level football. 2 great seasons with Villarreal which didn't even amount to anything and some Intertoto, Toyota and Confed Cup performances is hardly something that football fans will remember. The list of oldschool number 10s that don't quite get the recognition outside of football hipsters is long. Aimar and Valeron to just name 2 who played in La Liga in the same era as Riquelme.

let me add the tournament that he performed superbly
1) 2006 wc
2) 2006 cl
3) 2007 copa america
4) 2008 olympic ( i think you will down-rated this, but whatever)
(i don't include the south american one like libertadores cup for the eurocentric kind of people)

tell me which tournament or league that he failed to excelled other than unlucky 1 season at barca?

do you know ronaldinho peak in between 2004-2006 in la liga was rated as one of the highest peak for footballer by many people

to make it more interesting, do you know who was picked as 2005 best foreign player in la liga, mind you, not zidane, not ronaldinho, but....................i think you can guess who is it Smile

at that time, i dare say its between ronaldinho & riquelme that challenge who is the best midfield in la liga, xavi was just 1 or 2 tiers below them

ordinary or very good player don't challenge ronaldinho at the highest peak, mind you, only the special one would

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun May 24, 2015 10:49 am

Performing well in a couple of group stage games against Serbia and Ivory Coast and getting knocked out in the quarter finals against the worst Germany squad of all time under the worst manager in Germany's and Bayern's history is not a great achievement. At best it puts him up there with Arshavin 2008. You realize this, right?

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun May 24, 2015 11:28 am

Fußball wrote:Performing well in a couple of group stage games against Serbia and Ivory Coast and getting knocked out in the quarter finals against the worst Germany squad of all time under the worst manager in Germany's and Bayern's history is not a great achievement. At best it puts him up there with Arshavin 2008. You realize this, right?

You realize one of the major reasons they got knocked out was because Riquelme and Crespo were subbed out, don't you?
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 11:45 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
Fußball wrote:Performing well in a couple of group stage games against Serbia and Ivory Coast and getting knocked out in the quarter finals against the worst Germany squad of all time under the worst manager in Germany's and Bayern's history is not a great achievement. At best it puts him up there with Arshavin 2008. You realize this, right?

You realize one of the major reasons they got knocked out was because Riquelme and Crespo were subbed out, don't you?

i think he don't realize it yet, but i still can forgive it

human always did the wrong thing but one of the hardest thing to do is to admit it

by the way, thanks Lord Spencer, i'm always give thanks to others that deserved it, my religion taught me to be a grateful man

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun May 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:

You realize this is one of the biggest hipster myths of all time, right? Up there with other hipster myths like "Garrincha was a better player than Pelé". I recommend to take your time and rewatch the game. The full game should still be on Youtube. You will be surprised. Riquelme did absolutely nothing of note apart from 1 accurate corner kick. He spent 80 % of the time in his own half making sideway and back passes and getting dispossessed. Not sure he made a single successful pass that opened up the pitch. Here is his "highlight" reel.

1:07: Giving the ball away.
1:51: Dispossessed under pressure.
2:03: Pocket picked under pressure.
2:43: Dispossessed due to heavy touch.
2:50: Passing straight into a German player.
3:20: Wrestled off the ball.
3:30: Dispossessed.
3:36: Imprecise pass into a very promising gap that had opened up.
3:57: Passing straight into a German player, no Argentina player even anywhere near where he passes to ball to.
5:23: Dispossessed.

No idea how Argentina was going to win this if he had stayed on. He got subbed off because Torsten Frings was nullyfying him. Laughing

Your typical early 00s hipster #10.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassius Sun May 24, 2015 12:50 pm

Frings! I totally forgot about this player!! Cracking player a few years back.
Cassius
Cassius
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Fußball wrote:You realize this is one of the biggest hipster myths of all time, right? Up there with other hipster myths like "Garrincha was a better player than Pelé". I recommend to take your time and rewatch the game. The full game should still be on Youtube. You will be surprised. Riquelme did absolutely nothing of note apart from 1 accurate corner kick. He spent 80 % of the time in his own half making sideway and back passes and getting dispossessed. Not sure he made a single successful pass that opened up the pitch. Here is his "highlight" reel.

are you also describing an usual xavi performances vs tough team in cl or wc or euro?, the double standard, hypocrite at the highest order, lol

at least riquelme proved that he was the game changer in the tough match when everyone else from both team did none

germany start boldly attacked on argentina exactly after riquelme been subbed, & presto...........goal (germany played too cautious before that even though as a host team)

coincidence???

Last edited by guest_07 on Sun May 24, 2015 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sun May 24, 2015 1:59 pm

Fußball wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

You realize this is one of the biggest hipster myths of all time, right? Up there with other hipster myths like "Garrincha was a better player than Pelé". I recommend to take your time and rewatch the game. The full game should still be on Youtube. You will be surprised. Riquelme did absolutely nothing of note apart from 1 accurate corner kick. He spent 80 % of the time in his own half making sideway and back passes and getting dispossessed. Not sure he made a single successful pass that opened up the pitch. Here is his "highlight" reel.

1:07: Giving the ball away.
1:51: Dispossessed under pressure.
2:03: Pocket picked under pressure.
2:43: Dispossessed due to heavy touch.
2:50: Passing straight into a German player.
3:20: Wrestled off the ball.
3:30: Dispossessed.
3:36: Imprecise pass into a very promising gap that had opened up.
3:57: Passing straight into a German player, no Argentina player even anywhere near where he passes to ball to.
5:23: Dispossessed.

No idea how Argentina was going to win this if he had stayed on. He got subbed off because Torsten Frings was nullyfying him. Laughing

Your typical early 00s hipster #10.

Subbing an attacking player, even someone who wasn't doing too hot, would cause the other team to attack more. Also, I said both Riquelme and Crespo, because both were the best Argentina had to offer before the match.

Germany's style that tournament was trying to lock out the midfield. They tried doing it with Pirlo in the semi-final, but Ballack was not as defensively astute at shutting him off as Fringes was at shutting Riquelme off.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Lord Spencer wrote:Subbing an attacking player, even someone who wasn't doing too hot, would cause the other team to attack more. Also, I said both Riquelme and Crespo, because both were the best Argentina had to offer before the match.

Germany's style that tournament was trying to lock out the midfield. They tried doing it with Pirlo in the semi-final, but Ballack was not as defensively astute at shutting him off as Fringes was at shutting Riquelme off.

well said, Lord Spencer

poor riquelme, if germany had did the gung ho style like what they did vs italy after conceded 1 goal, in the match vs argentina, i think riquelme will kill them off long before end of game whistle

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 5:32 pm

is this honest statement or statement that full of frustration?

if i'm not mistaken, the worst could be between germany 1938 (1st round exit) or germany 1962 (qfinal exit) or germany 1998 (qfinal exit)

2006 germany got 3rd place been labelled the worst, need i to take you seriously after this, fussball?

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun May 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Fußball wrote:

How does that comparison make sense? Maradona is universally (Brazil exluded for obvious reasons) accepted as a GOAT, if not THE GOAT, regardless of club allegiances. Nothing to do with what club one supports. Riquelme was simply not relevant enough in European/elite level football. 2 great seasons with Villarreal which didn't even amount to anything and some Intertoto, Toyota and Confed Cup performances is hardly something that football fans will remember. The list of oldschool number 10s that don't quite get the recognition outside of football hipsters is long. Aimar and Valeron to just name 2 who played in La Liga in the same era as Riquelme.

Maradonna's only considered "the goat" mearly because he won the WC. Not saying Riquelme was better than Maradonna just saying that Riquelme has no leverage amongst anyone merly due to fan support of GL. Valeron is another good example and so is Veron. All guys who never made the spotlight in a big/popular team but not cause they couldn't. I've made an Ayala post in the past (comparing him to Nesta) so I would defo know about Ayala being somewhat underrated.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by guest_07 Sun May 24, 2015 7:35 pm

Lord Awesome wrote:Maradonna's only considered "the goat" mearly because he won the WC. Not saying Riquelme was better than Maradonna just saying that Riquelme has no leverage amongst anyone merly due to fan support of GL. Valeron is another good example and so is Veron. All guys who never made the spotlight in a big team but not cause they couldn't. I've made an Ayala post in the past (comparing him to Nesta) so I would defo know about Ayala somewhat underrated.

i agree on ayala been underrated, valeron maybe, but not veron

veron had been given 3 chances in 3 wc (1998, 2002 & 2010)
neither of them that he shined as great as riquelme especially 2002 (possibly one of the worst argentina wc achievement)

guest_07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sun May 24, 2015 10:17 pm

More than Ayala ( I appreciated him though ) I'd say Walter Samuel. For me he is massively underrated abroad , even here I remind to have wrote a similar thread than this about Samuel and just BC responded it.
Well for me he is easily in my top 5 defenders seen (yet rarely I read him in that list of great old defenders.. )  a beast, maybe it's because of that his experience in Madrid ... but hell... there is a problem with old Boca legends hmm
About it , it 's melancholy to think about that Real - Boca 2000 (with Riquelme MOTD  ,probably he was signed by Barca also for that match) compared to actual FIFA Club World Cup winner where the South Americans struggle with African teams Crying or Very sad
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next