RedOranje
Freeza
34 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 15 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by El Gunner Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Nerve-strucked, but still has the nerve to call me troll? hmm
I'm just putting it how I see it, you will remember I gave negative comments towards Vader the first time I watched the original trilogy, so it wasn't like I saw your post and thought "ey, let me just say I don't like Vader so I can piss Freeza off" nah man sorry.

El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:29 pm

What exactly was it that sucked about Vader?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm

M99 wrote:What exactly was it that sucked about Vader?

Don't bother. It's obviously just trolling.

Pretty much unanimous regarded as the best villain in film history, or at least top3. Yet is a joke.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Well I always heard the stuff about him. He was such a badass and such. And had a lot of great lines, but when I saw the original trilogy he didn't make an impression on me once. In all honesty, believe me, I'm not trying to intentionally hate. I really expected a great villain, but he felt more like a caged entity behind that mask and he didn't feel menacing for a second as well.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Freeza, bad neighbours?

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:29 am

Airplane! (1980)

Can't believe so many iconic quotes and scenes were in this film Laughing

Fantastic movie with some of the most hilarious scenes I've seen in any film. That "calm down" scene broke me rofl rofl

Really enjoyed watching it.

8.4/10
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:39 am

Completely agree ElGee. Vader is the most overrated villain of all time. Terrible villain in A New Hope. He was sooooo bad in that. Got better in the rest but still overrated as shit.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:29 am

Don't call me James wrote:Completely agree ElGee. Vader is the most overrated villain of all time. Terrible villain in A New Hope. He was sooooo bad in that. Got better in the rest but still overrated as shit.

Glad your opinion hasn't changed from when you hadn't watched the movies. This guys is a prime example of how you can hate something if you want to hate it.

Don't call me James wrote:Only seen A New Hope so far and didn't like it. My perception on it thus far is that it's one of the most overrated franchises of all time.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:30 am

Don't call me James wrote:Completely agree ElGee. Vader is the most overrated villain of all time. Terrible villain in A New Hope. He was sooooo bad in that. Got better in the rest but still overrated as shit.

You watched Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi in this past week? Cool. Your reviews?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:37 am

The Judge (2014)- Robert Downey Jr and Robert Duvall.

Very good movie. Gonna tug on the heart strings at times.

I highly recommend it.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by gb Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 am

Recently just finished all 3 LOTR movies for the 1st time and it was GOAT. Can't believe it took me so long to watch them but it was well worth it. I suppose The Hobbit trilogy is next! bounce
gb
gb
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by gb Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:08 am

On the topic of Star Wars, I would have to side with El Gunner and Hames. I've always felt the original trilogy to be way overrated but I wouldn't go as far as saying Darth Vader was a terrible villian but he was incredibly mediocre imo. Hans Solo and Chewie were GOAT!
gb
gb
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:15 pm

gb wrote:Recently just finished all 3 LOTR movies for the 1st time and it was GOAT. Can't believe it took me so long to watch them but it was well worth it. I suppose The Hobbit trilogy is next! bounce

Still haven't seen The Battle of the Five Armies. Should I, guys?

gb wrote:On the topic of Star Wars, I would have to side with El Gunner and Hames. I've always felt the original trilogy to be way overrated but I wouldn't go as far as saying Darth Vader was a terrible villian but he was incredibly mediocre imo. Hans Solo and Chewie were GOAT!

Freeza pls respond
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm drunk. Pls go. Kylo Ren will make you wet by December
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:01 am

American Beauty

Wow, what a film. Can see why people consider this as a classic. Quite a thought-provoking film with a strong message. Was really really well directed and the acting was fantastic.

loved how all the characters were unique in their own way while all were pretty much broken at the same time. Really want to write up an analysis on all the characters and themes because there is so much to say lol.

But I guess most of you must have already seen it.

8.7/10
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:20 am

Watch the Godfather trilogy RG already ffs.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:39 pm

Yea in the next few days.

-------------------------

So Euro Trip is one of my favourite films and Matt Damon is my favourite actor. But last night was the first time I found out that he was the one who sang "Scotty doesn't know" at the beginning Laughing Laughing :facepalm:
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Watch the Godfather 1 and 2 RG already ffs.

Also American Beauty is fantastic, anyone who doesn't like it deserve to be shot imo.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Anyone watching or watched Straight Outta Compton? Seeing it this weekend.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:59 pm

RealGunner wrote:Airplane! (1980)

Can't believe so many iconic quotes and scenes were in this film Laughing

Fantastic movie with some of the most hilarious scenes I've seen in any film. That "calm down" scene broke me rofl rofl

Really enjoyed watching it.

8.4/10

If you haven't seen any of The Naked Gun trilogy, you need to see them ASAP. They're written/directed by the same trio that did Airplane! and it's the same type of humor. Just as funny as Airplane! imo. They also did some of the Scary Movie series iirc

Probably my favorite comedies of all time.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 pm

" My name isn't Shirley"
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:04 pm

M99 wrote:Anyone watching or watched Straight Outta Compton? Seeing it this weekend.
Yeah dunno when but soon hopefully
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:25 pm

American Beauty is like one of those few movies which you can say is "complete"
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:29 pm

American Beauty is amazing. I watched it last year on Netflix. Would enjoy reading your analysis RG. I wrote one somewhere else, will try to dig it up and copy paste here. This is my favorite image of the film.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/American_Beauty_jail_cell.png
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:40 pm

This one I wrote earlier this year:

My name is Lester Burnham. This is my neighborhood; this is my street; this is my life. I am 42 years old; in less than a year I will be dead. Of course I don't know that yet, and in a way, I am dead already.

If you read my Gone Girl review you would have noticed I said that I think it is the most complete film since American Beauty.
So why do I draw parallels between the two movies?

Well both films deal with characters that are repulsive in a way. Gone Girl takes it to another level, but it doesn't get much better in American Beauty. This film has characters that are in deep emotional distress and they don't even know it. They cover their unhappiness with sarcasm and cheap thrills like quitting ones job and smoking weed with your neighbour.
Both films deal with characters that are liars and use their lies and emotional problems to drive the story of their respective films forward. Even though American Beauty might not be that plot driven like Gone Girl, at the end of the day both still tell their stories: the former conveys a strong message in its dramatic, satirical style and the latter spoils us with twists and turns in its suspenseful, thrilling style.
Both films are beautifully shot with crisp and neat cinematography, adding visual brilliance to the respective features.

And if you are wondering how the hell the above points is supposed to do enough for you to constitute an understanding as to why I say I think these films are two of the most complete films I've ever seen? Then let me try to express myself a bit more:
As already mentioned, both deal with emotional drive, and what makes this more impressive is that it is underlying, suppressed feelings. And when these feelings come up and reveal themselves it's obviously more explosive and effective.
It also shows us characters that are psychologically damaged, and I always believe those are the best characters in films. There's just a certain something that adds a spark to films that have characters that are mentally challenged and derive emotional problems from those exact mental challenges. We then have characters who deal with two sets of inner problems (mental and emotional).
Both films play around with their genre and the feel that they give off. They are a mix of dark comedy, drama and suspense. And both have their one instance of a blood spilling moment. This is when the character(s) are at their climax and explode!
Both are wonderfully layered and directed, and have dialogue that never lets go of your attention.
So basically, these two films have a bit of almost everything that I love in film. Their characters are strong and powerful and when the climax comes, you definitely know it came! [sexual pun intended]

Now with all of that out of the way, I must also say they are still two very different films, but I'm not going to go into any of that. Instead, let's talk a bit more about American Beauty, the debut feature of a very good director named Sam Mendes.
Lester (played brilliantly by Kevin Spacey) is at the peak of his mid-life crisis. He is married but finds no more joy in his love - and sex life,
Lester: “Look at me, jerking off in the shower... This will be the high point of my day; it's all downhill from here.”
he has a daughter, Jane, who he doesn't seem to worry much about. Jane has her own problems and the wife has her problems as well. We meet their neighbours - a family made up of a father, mother and son. Ricky is the son, and he starts to befriend both Lester and Jane. His first interaction with Lester ends up with them smoking weed together. He then becomes the weed seller of Lester. He shows interest in Jane and Jane founds it annoying at first, but later she starts to like it. Ricky though, has problems as well, and they seem to stem from his ex-military head father, who is probably the most challenged character in the film. So problems, problems and more problems. That's what this film is. It's a humoristic melancholy on modern day life in American suburbia.

Early on in the film Lester is blown away and mesmerised by the beauty of one of Jane's friends, Angela, when he first lays eyes upon her at a basketball game where they were cheerleading. And who can blame Lester? Who wouldn't become infatuated with that golden American face of Mena Suvari? [rhetorical question] Throughout the film he fantasises about Angela, and Angela who is the slutty, popular girl at school who can't stop blabbering on about her sexual experiences with boys, doesn't back down as her actions around Lester is flirtatious and inviting. Jane starts to connect with Ricky and Lester's wife is sexually interested in a business competitor in the real-estate industry. Added into the mix is Ricky's relationship with his father. His father is constantly worried about his 'cleanness' and constantly reminds him to stay off drugs, and he shares his hatred towards homosexuality with Ricky, almost in a way compelling him to never 'turn weak' or 'go soft'. Ricky's father plays an important part at the end of the film as we get to see his deep-rooted problems exposed and him going beyond boiling point.

The other day I read fellow Letterboxd member, Gustav's review on this film, and he absolutely slated it! He made a lot of reasonable and valid points and I understood where he came from with a few of those points. This film deals with a clichéd narrative that goes by the name of "family in distress". It deals with the washed up story of everything turning out bad for our troubled characters. And it doesn't particular suave in it's build up in storyline and character arcs. But for what American Beauty is, it absolutely glitters in that respect. It is a drama and a satire that sews its threads together perfectly to send the message that it wants to send. As I said, it's not that plot driven and many of those threads don't lead to an eventual revelation on their own, but TOGETHER they show what the film wants and needs to show.

Winner of 5 Oscars in the categories of Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Director and Best Cinematography at the 2000 Academy Awards, American Beauty is indeed a beauty... even if it is in a weird way.

Oh and hooray to 1999 in film, the year in which characters found courage to speak up to, and threaten, their bosses and then going on to quit their jobs.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:14 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:" My name isn't Shirley"

Don't call me Shirley rofl Leslie Nielson was a comedy god
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender