Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

+34
free_cat
rincon
windkick
nasir6371
zigra
McAgger
Firenze
RealGunner
urbaNRoots
Donuts
Cookie Monster
Dante
Pip
Lucifer
Kaladin
Ion Creanga
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Art Morte
S
juvealbanian
jibers
titosantill
sportsczy
Doc
Adit
Cruijf
M99
futbol
Hapless_Hans
BarrileteCosmico
Kick
Winter is Coming
Mr Nick09
FelixMagic
38 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by sportsczy Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:30 am

A lot of CBs were pretty damn great before and after their Real Madrid years for some reason Laughing

sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?

Post by jibers Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 am

Short answer, no.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by juvealbanian Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:30 am

So you have seen football for 20 years and think Silva is the best? I smell BS unless you have seen only french league for 20 years....

He is a good defender but he doesn't comes on the level of brilliant italian defenders of the time like Maldini,Nesta,Cannavaro,Ranocchia etc
juvealbanian
juvealbanian
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 am

M99 wrote:If you mean in the 2010s decade then you are right. For me he is clearly the best defender.

inb4Chiellini
inb4Boateng

FelixMagic wrote:For me he is. I watch football sinze more than 20 years and i never seen nothing like him.

Its 2016 and Milan fans still hyping him rofl

Proud
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:48 am

He's having it too easy at PSG to be considered the best, imo. Especially when you consider PSG are yet to make the semis in the Champions League in their oil money era. Reach the CL final this season and I'll start taking the hype of players like Verratti, Matuidi and Silva seriously.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 pm

S wrote:
M99 wrote:If you mean in the 2010s decade then you are right. For me he is clearly the best defender.

inb4Chiellini
inb4Boateng

FelixMagic wrote:For me he is. I watch football sinze more than 20 years and i never seen nothing like him.

Its 2016 and Milan fans still hyping him rofl

Proud

Expected this from elmystique not you. What's wrong with what I said? Can he not considered the best CB of the past six years?
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by S Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Meh,once he moved to France he became irrelevant imo :coffee: (while getting skinned by scrubs like Brandao rofl)

Agree with Nick,cant remember a standout performance from him with PSG in a big CL game tbh.Inb4 winner against Chelsea
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Quite obviously Jerome Boateng is the best defender of the last 6 years.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by FelixMagic Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 pm

it becomes very hard to argue with stupid kids who are only able to put faces like this Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Embarassed

FelixMagic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FelixMagic Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Thiago Silva best defender, Aurier best right back, Angel Di Maria best right winger and better than Özil and James, Lucas Moura better dribbler than Hazard, Neymar, Iniesta...

I can't help but see a pattern emerging, Felix hmm

and where is the problem Angel is better than both and most fans would agree with me.
Yee Aurier in this moment is the best rb in the world
Lucas is an amazing dribbler but i even said that he has no football intelligenze. Iniesta and Neymar are better dribbler than him in tight space, overall he is a better dribbler than Hazard for me. This makes me a PSG fan and biased? things that are quite obvious

FelixMagic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 pm

I think you should clarify, do you honestly think Thiago Silva is the best defender of the last 20 years? Better than Nesta, Thuram, Cannavaro? Or did you mean a shorter time span when saying "modern football"
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:28 pm

S wrote:Meh,once he moved to France he became irrelevant imo :coffee: (while getting skinned by scrubs like Brandao rofl)

Agree with Nick,cant remember a standout performance from him with PSG in a big CL game tbh.Inb4 winner against Chelsea

This is true, in fact i remember more flops than standout performances from him when it matters.

People will laugh at Pique and Ramos and i do too on occasion Laughing But their big match records are miles better than Thiago Silva's.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by FelixMagic Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:39 pm

fortunately there are statistics that tell the facts:
League
Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 2 ImISvHG1vExE3bB1VruLZ827WcMLtH6ln2pewucxDfIIDHgwu7cEashXCJIklLh9hJGKtwEL-AlCyQefPpFg8Dxu0_lfh9OyJJ6QaloPNPcvkjGUNMz-M7wPU_qtimtBz5gANKoxzCdY3LDCBXI41LF-LdINJnaB7_dJEOCqR7sHrNQq-lNpBZsFeF9QJlATWjaXTgLHaExsbx6GaLqcg42w-92Snmjr9H5Hb3KZMZGuGLirbqZkJO_SUHcEpEz6PrOCd71KQYJY7HDeGY3xPaxBwQGpeuiF8XzTlHixsOIWrtWaAX9oT4SDOfYu2obOrbgiGXD29Jdz28gyiWI1iND29Gdtdco7dzdBqKeKDdfI0nXD-_NoZf-9GNhQagJLvZIrlxy61JbcpkZCZfavlouXtj5ae_Ggn_Lz2XXp1uTgosAQc7riBy43N3-ErK_lvwo8qq1nYKZePWCmKfqyrj9gf_SouN7JlVMg1CM99Ot64g-aUps_BNVNCa5L955YeIPL78u72VXc4XynyH2mX6NiOu4iZcgg-1sDWaigiSVSta_bR75J3TNVvbyvYsdbDpI=w439-h528-no
Champions League:
Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 2 MeGC6mY1fL3qq4SBIfjP-WPsNHS8c6da5CToeTMyMfuYmuJ7u27uPT0fgACjoRKCjs7_Z4Z5Jwj89NRamaF8ycvBBxr-ujClU92v9OYpkSfvT6GxVyWqnbafEY__wUWeC8EYGM4ktjdsEMZy3LfV48RNBQX2--i7BFp5c4QwD2q--dkpWNNn8KRWLQMlELA57xjkW5xgivW0-3K9IeCh-aK2MKBMrCtAcvRmZJtysEDqHFnuglC9KeCVlC7d5s1U3XeQbkGNVEDQEJKVhafvQKBdos6KjYbNiaJWrgJIwaWtkCuHDSsrzfvFXVau5PPuYVdsf-0gnkjPCpJhw_eQGSJ2YI1IyNYhA_t0HV47oFcYrdF6SoQ25IOb2SNWXssxUYWzor5hl2gouysLIm39BqNuproL6XDwH9OIzGo3b7FvlGFD4AgLA5Xog8LH7A7n8NUD8AI89Peihp1k2ZL8ZqEh3jjxOHkDKFtCIgEAb_nk3BbwAVKNTrV8a2quEAwERdfwFnYuQ2tUEnoiAvfy8K6gNb_SQ_BFMw9MzamA0JvacmWKSGK-i1Z9JepcRhv-AiI=w443-h563-no

chiellini, Boateng? let me put some face Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool Cool Cool Cool One was totally *bleep* up by Messi, the other is the main culprit of both goals conceded against Real, and again in 2013 2014 he was still the main responsible for the fact that Juve was not able to get over the group of champions league, against Real was able to be shit in both game, the red card for the foul against CR7 and the Penalty for foul on Ramos.

Thiago Silva is so good that it makes look good even Davis Luiz, the fact that Brazil without him took seven goals from Germany should give some thoughts

Last edited by FelixMagic on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

FelixMagic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FelixMagic Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:49 pm

last season
Where Silva in the first part of the season playing bad, especially after injury, the disaster in Brazil, and his father's death

but again: Is Thiago Silva the best defender of modern football?  - Page 2 LgT5BGpv8BD-YtcMPwgn7eJyriDV-z_ySSeLdyevHCbSnb-iXhXNm-jyjP_l4hyxS0nTS9EAF6PfQIcW2GfwZ01Wu01sYR3XPfhkiqS-kV-z0qkeT64_jwyUL3_XQU7HRGrNeVSE5Ml0Oo8w6biaiVnsKmlluYMw8uCKxxhND05v1FUDCkQXtGdDkTqkzJs2C87cmMxV-55c5hxah54GK8XLfkNBO5V8-B7WI5EgZiJacy52LKxVt4NMHsc0n8DQnnSj7QdETRe2m9pxrtFEGdRBDVZyu2Et838cj2QNr3WGmbB8oJcydiBv8o8CnEJjcbMh_9TXtsOWkCyZFrxudVjwP4oMb5F_FVD3Qd5C4N-6F2rviiVdx-XgQzwVoQTAoS1XHST5X3U6Bg62e1gNCjQr-R-8nkODpCYpH1PEG-c0IH_aC27Q6ViEuHIeoiQ__EKTvDakVs19wn96MeFixPnLJdKptxnFQw73hQpY5i_uPqSd2VAmRMUIO59_CB5cdhynnUD0l3F2Wuy4OralrmDJxSPOiC39IAu4-0L3lKIF6uLTqO8zgo6SAy7fuS64t70=w498-h524-no

FelixMagic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FelixMagic Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
S wrote:Meh,once he moved to France he became irrelevant imo :coffee: (while getting skinned by scrubs like  Brandao rofl)

This is true, in fact i remember more flops than standout performances from him when it matters.

People will laugh at Pique and Ramos and i do too on occasion Laughing But their big match records are miles better than Thiago Silva's.

especially against Chile and Spain in the last World Cup or against Schalke last season, or against Bilbao in the super cup.

I don't remember performance so shit from Silva. I don't think his teams were ever been humiliated in this way. With Silva i think Barca can make the tribble every year, in Psg the problem are players like Ibra or Cavani never decisive, as well as inadequate players like Lucas, Maxwell and Luiz.

FelixMagic
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:14 pm

he couldn't keep freaking Matri from scoring in a potentially title deciding match in the last 15 minutes (Goal di muntari Laughing ) It's okay for defenders to make occasional mistakes, but it seems like the errors of some players are more often remembered.

Spoiler:
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:16 pm

How convenient of Mexes to mark the air
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Ion Creanga Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:19 pm

ES wrote:How convenient of Mexes to mark the air

that too Laughing also at second 13 Silva has some sort of bad weird move to clear away the ball
Ion Creanga
Ion Creanga
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juvealbanian Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Why don't we all agree that Silva is the best and make someone happy?
juvealbanian
juvealbanian
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter is Coming Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 pm

juvealbanian wrote:Why don't we all agree that Silva is the best and make someone happy?

Because then we're lying and will go to hell for it hmm
Winter is Coming
Winter is Coming
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:23 pm

juvealbanian wrote:Why don't we all agree that Silva is the best and make someone happy?
Actually you're right.
Let's do that.

I agree with the OP.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Agreed. David Silva is EPL's best playmaker of all time.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Also Thiago Messi is best baby of modern time Proud

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 pm

As Doc likes to say, Mauro Silva was makelele before makelele
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:47 am

S wrote:Meh,once he moved to France he became irrelevant imo :coffee: (while getting skinned by scrubs like  Brandao rofl)
When did Brandão embarrass Thiago Silva?
S wrote:Agree with Nick,cant remember a standout performance from him with PSG in a big CL game tbh.Inb4 winner against Chelsea
Barcelona? Both matches against Chelsea last season? Neutral

Pip
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:50 am

He was pretty great when we won against Arsenal 4-0 too . It was at a time when Van Persie was having the time of his life during that period and he barely allowed him to breathe . In the return game when we lost 0-3 , everyone except Abbiati was having a shocker , including Thiago Silva , directly responsible for the 2nd goal .

Other than that which was a total horror show from Milan , if he wasn't there that night , we wouldn't have qualified . I say this with utmost confidence .

Right , i'll say this and be done with it . Had Thiago Silva went to any of Barcelona or Real or Bayern , we'd never hear the end of it . As if Boateng has it any tougher in Bundesliga with Bayern , or Pique in La Liga with Barcelona e.t.c. Simply lame . Only one who really has it tough is Ramos at Real , he gets exposed too much as a result of what happens in front of his back line. And why , many here laugh at Ramos . I'll tell you this though , had you exchanged the two of them and had Thiago Silva in Ramos' place and Ramos in PSG , it would hardly be a big difference for either team and Silva would be , more or less , as much exposed as Ramos has been.

Instead i have to read Nick's stuff , same nick whose shenanigans when PSG bought Silva seem amusing now to say the least. QSG bought the best defenda in the world e.t.c

years later

meh it's just Ligue 1

and better not bother with the Chiellini beliebers , if anything , it took 2016 to even have a go at Thiago Silva Proud

all in all , Thiago Silva isn't the Messi of defenders ?

Of course let's lol at someone having a high opinion of Thiago Silva .

Of course.

To answer OP , if by modern times you mean like from 2010 and on , then probably yes . Anything before that no . That said , it's not unfathomable to compare him with some great CBs , pre 2010 . He wasn't better than the likes of Nesta purely at defending , but he's no joke when compared to them either .
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next