Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
urbaNRoots
Sina
Jay29
43 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Jay29 Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:16 pm

You're not an Arsenal player until you've had at least a two month lay off :coffee:

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Jay29 Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Takuma Asano has joined Stuttgart on loan.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Gonna make sure I try and catch some games then hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:31 pm

An optimistic assessment of the club's dithering about a striker signing would be:

- they assessed the situation, targeted a 'mid-level' buy to provide some kind of competition with Giroud, as the major players Wenger probably wanted were not really feasible options considering their price & club situations.

- Vardy was a first choice, that didn't pan out; Lacazette was a back-up who would have maybe had a higher ceiling but also cost more. Deciding if it was worth it to go over a certain amount to get Lacazette maybe took some time. Wasn't one of Ornstein's points that Wenger had money to spend if he did indeed want to break the bank, but otherwise the club was trying to keep transfer fee expenditure around 96 million total? There may have been other targets, too, about whom we didn't hear.

- Lucas Perez was third choice, at best, for this type of signing. But by accounts he ticks off a lot of boxes even if he isn't a worldbeater: good attitude (including some grit & fighting spirit), hard worker on the pitch, experienced, good for counters, fast, versatile, plus like Vardy he just came off a great season and appears to have started this one decently too.

... and honestly, we can quibble with the timing and the quality of the players, but it's a little bit remarkable that Arsenal have actually secured these two slots in the squad when they were exactly what pundits & supporters isolated as the two key positions to add in. Three if you count Xhaka as that deep midfielder we badly wanted, too. When was the last time that happened? Though just watch us sell Debuchy and then see Bellerin tear his ACL before October.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:36 pm

The issue i have with Wenger is that the squad is CLEARLY not good enough to compete for the EPL. There are nice players mostly... but nobody to build around. You need a couple of dominant guys to compete for titles and he just won't spend the money to get them and keeps hoping that he can develop such players organically.

That's fine for a couple of year... but it hasn't worked for over 10 years! How about getting with the times!!
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:10 pm

We have a very solid core in Cech-Koscielny/Bellerin/Mustafi/Nacho-Xhaka-Özil-Alexis

A good wad of money was indeed spent on those positions. Our squad players are probably not the same bench-quality as City or Chelsea, but then our resources and business model is also not sugardaddy-funded.

You are CELARLY taking away a lot of credit where it should be due.

Wenger's problem is his man management, his stubbornness, and his tactical prehistoric-ness. That doesn't change that fact that as individuals and as a squad, we have some really good players in the mix. And I find that dichotomy important.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:36 pm

I get where Sports is coming from. If you look overall at the squad, there are few, let's call them "power players" which just at looking at them you know you're in trouble. This is why we go out in early stages of the CL, year after year. I am not going for the injury excuse or the "we play in the PL and don't rest" excuse. Any big team we're up against we're usually in trouble. Maybe Cech, Oezil, Sanchez are no doubts world class players. I'd maybe say Kos. But the rest have no consistency or just do not live up to their original standards.

I am very underwhelmed by the Lucas deal. But I hope he does well and is not another failed attacking signing. Mustafi on the other hand: solid. Definitely will tighten up the defense.

In other news, Thierry Henry is now Belgium assistant coach Proud. Hope one day he makes it big time and comes back home.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Likewise to some, I am cautiously optimistic with the Perez signing. Will definitely provide something else from what I've read. Hope he finds his feet quickly before Arsenal's oh-so-lovely fans turn on him.

Now all we need to do is a James madness, and announce all 3 on deadline day.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Wenger' on this summer’s transfer market…
It was a strange transfer market. I expected it to be easier than ever but it was more difficult than ever. Laughing Not a lot has happened. It looks like when you meet other clubs and you have an English passport, you hit these [big] prices which are very difficult to understand compared to the quality of the players. It looks like it will be frenetic for me in the last three days. Everybody has sat on their pounds until now. We know they will all splash out now. I expect the next three days to be very, very busy, so be on alert!
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Calum Chambers expected to be loaned out as a result of Mustafi signing. Milan, Roma, Espanyol, and Valencia, among others, have been linked. Can't find the article spouting this so take it with a grain of salt.

The Daily Mail report Arsenal would prefer he joins a Premier League club. Sunderland, Hull, Stoke and WBA are interested. (would prefer Hull imo)

I'll gladly eat humble pie (and issue a conditional 'I was wrong') provided we send him to Valencia on loan before someone spitefully quotes my skeptical posts from a few weeks back Laughing
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi there MJ Smile

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Sri wrote:Hi there MJ Smile

Come on, Calumbo. Just say yes to Hull and make my life easier your career less stagnant. bounce
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:07 pm

MJ wrote:
Sri wrote:Hi there MJ Smile

Come on, Calumbo. Just say yes to Hull and make my life easier your career less stagnant. bounce

Laughing

Ok ok, you wouldn't be called out.

FWIW, I think Hull would be a really good move too.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm

MJ wrote:Calum Chambers expected to be loaned out as a result of Mustafi signing. Milan, Roma, Espanyol, and Valencia, among others, have been linked. Can't find the article spouting this so take it with a grain of salt.

The Daily Mail report Arsenal would prefer he joins a Premier League club. Sunderland, Hull, Stoke and WBA are interested. (would prefer Hull imo)

I'll gladly eat humble pie (and issue a conditional 'I was wrong') provided we send him to Valencia on loan before someone spitefully quotes my skeptical posts from a few weeks back Laughing

What has Chambers accomplished in his career so far to have all those clubs chasing him. The people who write this stuff really think we are idiot. Chambers starting for Milan and Roma rofl
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Well it doesn't say he'd be starting there. They're probably only looking for a squad option at best.

That's why Hull would make sense, he would have a slightly more realistic chance of challenging for a starting berth as the season progresses.

He hasn't staked a claim to be starting at Arsenal, but I already would pick him over Gabriel at this point. Ok, Holding, then Chambers, then Gabriel perhaps.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:17 pm

FWIW, I still doubt he's going anywhere but a lower table PL club if we loan him out.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:52 pm

I think Arsene doesn't rate him anymore, he even chose Gabriel over him when the latter was trash which is mind boggling. When you compare the two so far, Chambers has shown more than Gabriel to be honest. The loan spell will be huge for him career if he struggles then we will probably try to get rid during the summer.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Rather send him abroad.

But if Arsene doesn't rate him then might as well cut our losses.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Arsene does rate Chambers - but also recognizes the need to ensure more playing time - watch the pre-Watford presser.

That said, Arsene is always going to pick Gabriel over Chambers or Holding, because he is older and has more experience - which is pretty crucial for a CB last-line-of-defense position.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Chambers showed a lot of promise when he first showed up, but lack of playing time has clearly hurt him.

Just loan him out for a while. I think he has the talent to make it back into the team.
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:13 pm

I agree that Gabriel is more experienced so he should probably start ahead of Chambers but last year he had some shocking performances yet Arsene still chose him ahead of Chambers. Remember his performances against Yanited and West ham even Chambers wasn't this bad when he had his chance Laughing

EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 pm

That's among the things about Arsene that I am rather pissed off about of late. Sad

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Let me put it this way... I'd rather not sign Mustafi, Xhaka and Lucas... and get just Pogba. Why? He's a difference maker that can win you big games = chance at trophies. The fees of those 3 players pretty much equals Pogba's (45+40+17).
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:12 pm

How is Pogba going to stop us conceding 6 against Chelsea? He is a match winner for sure but there has to be a match to win.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:19 pm

ManU still got Mhitrariyan, Ibra and Bailly, Sports Laughing

The equivalent Arsenal transfer window would have been if we'd gotten Xhaka, Mustafi, Mahrez and Higuain in the same window. Let's say Higgs was the "game changer" you're looking for. The star signing.

Not going to happen under Wenger.

The point is that you can get your superstar signing while still plugging in the holes in your team.

Else, you'd just have Galactico-style signings. Big players but then faulty teams tactically.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 pm

RealGunner wrote:How is Pogba going to stop us conceding 6 against Chelsea? He is a match winner for sure but there has to be a match to win.

Get Lass for free.  Nkoulou was free.  Ibra was free too.  If you really can't afford to splash any more for this mercato... these guys would more than carry you over to the next one.

A window of Lass, Nkoulou, Pogba and Ibra would have been epic.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next