Sir Psycho
Shamirr
fatman123
pUsHa
shinigami99
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Particle faster than speed of light:O Empty Particle faster than speed of light:O

Post by shinigami99 Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:44 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44629271/

Well, it's kind of wrong in that Einstein didn't say it wasn't possible for a particle to be faster than light, but simply that it would go back in time. So do you think this particle went back in time?
shinigami99
shinigami99
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Particle faster than speed of light:O Empty Re: Particle faster than speed of light:O

Post by pUsHa Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:56 am

About time , lol ...
pUsHa
pUsHa
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Particle faster than speed of light:O Empty Re: Particle faster than speed of light:O

Post by fatman123 Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:05 am

I was told that anything that travels faster then the speed of light would dissipate into energy, I guess that's not right then is it?
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamirr Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:08 am

fatman123 wrote:I was told that anything that travels faster then the speed of light would dissipate into energy, I guess that's not right then is it?

True but we don't really fully understand what "pure energy" is, so may if reverts to it's og state once it slows down again... or something close to it...
Shamirr
Shamirr
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Psycho Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:31 am

This changes a lot now.
Sir Psycho
Sir Psycho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:38 am

The interesting thing is, E=mc^2 has worked correctly for over a century now. For example, it was used to calculate energy outputs of nuclear bombs to great accuracy.

Personally, I think that this formula applies to MOST forms of matter, not ALL. Just because neutrinos don't obey this law doesn't mean that other forms of matter don't.

The problem now is that E=mc^2 isn't the holy grail in physics anymore. It is now a sub-formula in the GUT. In other words, Einstein's work is being superceded by other theories (aka M-theory). Just like how Newton's work became superceded by Einstein etc.

Anyway, this discovery is truly fascinating. Kudos to the scientists at CERN.
Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:54 am

Sensationalist media.

First, they make a broad claim about Einstein's theory without really understanding it.

Anyway, if this is found to be true, then they first need to repeat it, then they need to study it, and only then can Eninstein's theory be super-ceded. Which is the same treatment Einstein's theory got back then.

Eventhough, this does not change much for the practical world, as Newton's laws are still useful for us now despite being obsolete for higher speeds and such.

Hell, we use Greek and Muslim laws that are obsolete theoretically but work practically. This is huge for science, but nothing else, until they find ways to make use of it somehow.

Here's for time travel (I want to travel back in time and kick myself in the head for choosing politics/law over medicine) Particle faster than speed of light:O 1625187496
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:03 am

the whole world believed that the earth was flat for thousands of years. Obviously scientific "facts" can turn out to be wrong sometimes

Here's for time travel (I want to travel back in time and kick myself in the head for choosing politics/law over medicine)

i feel ya bro, id like to go back in time and pick a different major as well, but unfortunately, travelling back in time is physically impossible Sad
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:07 am

zizzle wrote:the whole world believed that the earth was flat for thousands of years. Obviously scientific "facts" can turn out to be wrong sometimes

Here's for time travel (I want to travel back in time and kick myself in the head for choosing politics/law over medicine)

i feel ya bro, id like to go back in time and pick a different major as well, but unfortunately, travelling back in time is physically impossible Sad

I actually would like to travel back in time and kick myself in the head just to see how my past self would react Razz
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zizzle Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:16 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
zizzle wrote:the whole world believed that the earth was flat for thousands of years. Obviously scientific "facts" can turn out to be wrong sometimes

I actually would like to travel back in time and kick myself in the head just to see how my past self would react Razz

given the nature of his degree he's persuing, he'll probably try to negotiate a peacfull solution where you publically apologize, which you wont do coz you're the older one, and he'll end up screwing his present self so the future him, you, would suffer. Twisted Evil
zizzle
zizzle
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:21 am

zizzle wrote:
Lord Spencer wrote:

given the nature of his degree he's persuing, he'll probably try to negotiate a peacfull solution where you publically apologize, which you wont do coz you're the older one, and he'll end up screwing his present self so the future him, you, would suffer. Twisted Evil

You have no idea how this explains my family very well. My uncle really wanted to go to medicine as he liked the idea of being a doctor, and he got accepted into medical school. But because everyone wanted him to go to medicine, he sayed screw everybody, you don't control my life, and went somewhere else Particle faster than speed of light:O 1625187496

I bet he wants a good kick in the head right now.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Albiceleste Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:26 am

If you were able to time travel and kick your self in the head you would have been kicked in the head already

Albiceleste
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbyV Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 am

ZOMG Everythings we know today about physics and more will be changed by this... Exceptional.
RobbyV
RobbyV
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Flamengo

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:10 am

I'd like to see them do this again, before accusing Einstein's theory of being at risk.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by teague Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:49 am

Lord Spencer wrote:
First, they make a broad claim about Einstein's theory without really understanding it.

You have no idea how bold you are with this claim do you?

Anyway it's not 100% confirmed. They have asked other laboratories to do more independent experiments to confirm it.
teague
teague
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by teague Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:54 am

Kevacious wrote:The interesting thing is, E=mc^2 has worked correctly for over a century now. For example, it was used to calculate energy outputs of nuclear bombs to great accuracy.

Personally, I think that this formula applies to MOST forms of matter, not ALL. Just because neutrinos don't obey this law doesn't mean that other forms of matter don't.

The problem now is that E=mc^2 isn't the holy grail in physics anymore. It is now a sub-formula in the GUT. In other words, Einstein's work is being superceded by other theories (aka M-theory). Just like how Newton's work became superceded by Einstein etc.

M-theory is just a hypothesis. Nobody has yet found a way (experimentally) to prove that the theory is completely true.
teague
teague
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by I-no Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:29 am

I just read on yahoo.de fascinatig!!!
teague wrote:
Kevacious wrote:The interesting thing is, E=mc^2 has worked correctly for over a century now. For example, it was used to calculate energy outputs of nuclear bombs to great accuracy.

M-theory is just a hypothesis. Nobody has yet found a way (experimentally) to prove that the theory is completely true.
true, they didnt give any proofs concerning m-theory.

teague, what do you think about nuclear fusion? two hydrogen molecules fuse to helium. from start, 4 protons and 4 electrons fuse, yet afterwards you get 2 neutrons, 2 electrons and 2 neutrons. the funny part, overall helium weighs less than 2 hydrogen molecules, it means matter was transformed into energy. Im interested to know whether people experimented to make mass out of energy, like reversing this process which is very common in stars of universe. if you could reverse, universe would have potentially unbelievable amount of matter which isnt even detected..........

Last edited by I-no on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
I-no
I-no
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by teague Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 am

I-no wrote:I just read on yahoo.de fascinatig!!!
teague wrote:

teague, what do you about nuclear fusion? two hydrogen molecules fuse to helium. from start, 4 protons and 4 electrons fuse, yet afterwards you get 2 neutrons, 2 electrons and 2 neutrons. the funny part, overall helium weighs less than 2 hydrogen molecules, it means matter was transformed into energy. Im interested to know whether people experimented to make mass out of energy, like reversing this process which is very common in stars of universe. if you could reverse, universe would have poetentially unbelievable amout of mass which isnt even detected..........

People ARE interested in converting mass into energy. That's why governments are funding fusion energy research.

Regarding M-theory, fancy mathematical proof exists but not experimental proof.
teague
teague
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by I-no Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 am

teague wrote:
teague wrote:

teague, what do you about nuclear fusion? two hydrogen molecules fuse to helium. from start, 4 protons and 4 electrons fuse, yet afterwards you get 2 neutrons, 2 electrons and 2 neutrons. the funny part, overall helium weighs less than 2 hydrogen molecules, it means matter was transformed into energy. Im interested to know whether people experimented to make mass out of energy, like reversing this process which is very common in stars of universe. if you could reverse, universe would have poetentially unbelievable amout of mass which isnt even detected..........

People ARE interested in converting mass into energy. That's why governments are funding fusion energy research.

I kno what people are interested in but if a scientist manages to create matter out of energy, imagine the aftereffects! nuclear fusion is proven already but not the other way around.
could you give me a link to the proof of m-theory?
I-no
I-no
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:50 am

Scientific theories only stand until they are disproved. Einstein's theories of relativity have been proven many times, but that does not mean it encompasses everything, is consistent for all conditions, or even correct. The Big Bang Theory is a great example of this. There are many facts and proofs to support this idea, but there are also facts and proofs to disprove this. Even though it has been proved, it is not the correct theory. All scientists know this. While they are trying to create a better explanation of the origin of the universe (through M-theory), they are still using this theory, as that is the best we have right now.

So far, M-theory hasn't been proven to be incorrect. There are many criticisms of it (such as the lack of experimental evidence of prediction abilities), but it still stands, as there have been no proofs to disprove it. And as long as that is the situation, it will be the most promising theory for the GUT.

Kev
Kev
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by teague Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am

I-no wrote:
teague wrote:
teague wrote:

I kno what people are interested in but if a scientist manages to create matter out of energy, imagine the aftereffects! nuclear fusion is proven already but not the other way around.

I think there is a confusion here.

Fusion energy is the product of converting mass into energy. In fact, experiments of "mass into energy conversion" have been around for a long time since the first Tokamak reactor that was built in the 50's.

For the prove of M-theory you'll have to obviously search for Ed Witten's paper. Try arxiv.org.

Some quote: ...

http://library.thinkquest.org/17940/texts/binding_energy/binding_energy.html

"The key concept behind the release of energy in fusion (and fission) reactions is binding energy. Binding energy is the energy that is lost when a nucleus is created from protons and neutrons. If you added up the total mass of the nucleons (protons and neutrons) that compose an atom, you would notice that this sum is less than the actual mass of the atom. This missing mass, called the mass defect, is a measure of the atom's binding energy."
teague
teague
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:34 pm

That's nice, but not buying it until it's totally proven. I want fusion energy so bad, even if it means my country becomes obsolete overnight Laughing
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by I-no Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:30 pm

teague wrote:
I-no wrote:
teague wrote:
teague wrote:

Fusion energy is the product of converting mass into energy. In fact, experiments of "mass into energy conversion" have been around for a long time since the first Tokamak reactor that was built in the 50's.

For the prove of M-theory you'll have to obviously search for Ed Witten's paper. Try arxiv.org.

"The key concept behind the release of energy in fusion (and fission) reactions is binding energy. Binding energy is the energy that is lost when a nucleus is created from protons and neutrons. If you added up the total mass of the nucleons (protons and neutrons) that compose an atom, you would notice that this sum is less than the actual mass of the atom. This missing mass, called the mass defect, is a measure of the atom's binding energy."
no confusion, you didnt understand me. I know, mass-> energy processes exist already. I'm looking for energy-> mass conversion. imagine if someone proves the later, tada! hahahaha
I-no
I-no
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:26 am

I-no wrote:
teague wrote:
I-no wrote:
teague wrote:
teague wrote:

no confusion, you didnt understand me. I know, mass-> energy processes exist already. I'm looking for energy-> mass conversion. imagine if someone proves the later, tada! hahahaha

Energy conversion to mass is the basic theory of the creation of the universe.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 am

Don't get too excited lads, nothing is official yet, the only ones talking about it ATM are Journalists.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next