Nutmeg Maestro With an Afro : Viera Marcelo

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

Go down

Re: Nutmeg Maestro With an Afro : Viera Marcelo

Post by titosantill on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 am

@The Demon of Carthage wrote:
I maintain that defensively speaking, he's one of the worst LBs to ever wear the white of Madrid..

no he's not. i'm one of his biggest critics from a defensive standpoint, but its not like we've had a history glittered with amazing left backs. carlos and camacho are the top, we've had a lot of terrible LBs, some as bad or worse than marcelo defensively; heinze drenthe raul bravo come to mind. i never liked heinze in particular, his hard-worker act i think blinded many to just how poor he was at LB for us, both on offense and defense. that guy was a nightmmare

titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 am

i didn't see the "one of the" part, i thought i read "he's the worst". but heinze drenthe bravo have to be on such a list
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Well, I don’t know if Marcelo is the worst or one of the worst defensive LB in history of club, but he surely is very poor defensively.

Offensively, Robert Carlos was way better than him, but he also had problems defensively. The difference in my mind is Robert Carlos was good defensively when he was back, his issue was being caught upfield. Marcelo if truth be told is not really a LB, more of a winger.

But I agree with Tito, that Camacho was probably our best overall LB. I however prefer RC as he was able to be a game changer time and time again.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm

I think Marcelo would have been a better contributing player if he played in Italy!

In reality we are playing with a 3 man defense which is so popular in Italy. Difference is our club has not recognized that and instead of playing with a shifted left defense to compensate, they would have been better to play 3 CBs.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

i actually think carlos was our best, he made that wing back spot attractive for a lot of young footballers. btw didn't marcelo used to play left wing at one point for us, under juande ramos or pellegrini or am i mistaken?
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol_bill on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Just for a few games just to give him playing time. He also played there a couple of times under Mou.
futbol_bill
futbol_bill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes, he played there for Juande Ramos and also a couple times with Mourinho. They chose to play him there because he wasn't reliable defensively and they felt he was too good offensively to be left on the bench, so they tried him there. The result? He was below average.

Marcelo can dupe people into thinking he would be an amazing winger because he's a walking horror-show defensively and a beast of a fullback offensively. But there's a reason he didn't explode in that position. He lacks all the reflexes and vision a winger should absolutely have in order to succeed.

Basically, if I had to paint the perfect description for him, it would go something along the following lines:

He's a fullback with the defensive reflexes of a false nine and the attacking hunger of a CF. In that I mean, he doesn't mind running his heart out during an attack or a counter-attack, but he'll leisurely jog back (or even walk at times) when the team loses the ball and it is his duty to win it back.

He simply doesn't have as much desire to defend as he has for attacking. Which is a shame because it's the only reason that has kept him from being mentioned in the same breath as the best fullbacks of all-time, and not just for Madrid but in world football as well.

Attacking-wise though, he's an absolute monster and second to none as far as I'm concerned.

The Demon of Carthage
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 pm

https://streamable.com/zs0af

Marcelo doing the #inmyfeelings challange with his son Enzo

Adorable *insert heart eyes emoji*
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by guest7 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn1t2ckH6iD/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1qwiqd8yf76gk

Wish he loved defending as much as he loved this club Mad

Kneejerk reactions aside... GOAT of fullbacks imo. Still the best, if he put more energy on the field he would defend well... But right now he looks not motivated.
guest7
guest7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mamad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:51 pm

He is fat imo. can't run without the ball. that's a no no for fullback.

2016 2017 2018
Mamad
Mamad
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22