Twoism
Sri
70 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

RvP Contract Talks Empty RvP Contract Talks

Post by Sri Thu May 17, 2012 2:58 am

Morning gooners!

My initial post was to be a reply to the following post in the Rumours thread. But I feel this is important enough to have a separate thread, so here goes. (Couple it with the fact that I think this might pan out all summer and well into preseason, and I hope I am wrong).

Samuelj29060 wrote:Van Persie's Arsenal future hangs in the balance after showdown talks with boss Arsene Wenger.

The Gunners had hoped to persuade their captain to agree a lucrative new three-year deal worth £130,000 a week that would see off interest from champions Manchester City and keep him at the Emirates.

But yesterday’s talks, which have been described as tense and tetchy, broke down with no agreement.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4321491/Robin-van-Persies-Arsenal-contract-talks-break-down.html

Ffs. I know better than to believe in The Sun, Talksport or Goal.com but this can't be good news, no matter what the source..

I am concerned really. Why I expected this to be a straight forward discussion with a positive result:

* RvP clearly loves Arsenal,
* he isn't motivated by money,
* he is the best captain we have had in years
* he is coming off the back of his most prolific season ever,
* he is loved by the fans,
* respected by his team mates,
* owes a lot to Wenger and the management for sticking with him through all his injured times,
* he is well settled in London and his family and kids love the place - so no personal life issues,
* and I can go on but you get the point......

Then what is holding him back?

What he really wants now, obviously, is some trophies and medals (apart from Golden Boots and Player of the Year).. The whole objective now, is therefore, to convince him of how we are going to end our trophy drought and how we are going to march into the top club level again..

'Tense and tetchy' talks means one thing - a lack of ambition and drive from the management. Because if the management doesn't have motivation, then they are unable to prove that they do (duh!). I am sure it wouldn't be hard to show that motivation if it was present.

If our management wants to seal this deal, we need more than a Podolski signed early in the summer. We need to stop making an excuse of having a big squad and act decisively to chop off the deadwood and make the right additions. Euros and Olympics are going to make this a tough task and I am mentally gearing up for a tough summer with signings few and far between - and an unresolved contract issue with not only RvP, but also Theo and Alex Song going into preseason.

The tough times for us fans that started with that cup final are still far from over.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

RvP Contract Talks Empty Re: RvP Contract Talks

Post by Twoism Thu May 17, 2012 4:58 am

1st of all, great post since this topic deserves its own thread.

To start off, the contract talk only started yesterday, so any outcome, made up gossip or not is still at earliest state of progression.

We all know RVP has been with Arsenal for long time, his unquestionable love for the club and how important he was for us. We also know how in the past, lots of beloved players left the club for various reasons, often cited ambition.

Drive & ambition are immeasurable especially at this point, so really it’s impractical to expect anything to be done prior Euro ( Although I do hope for miracle). Promise him new world class players, sure but how? No world class player would sign prior big tournament where they could pump up their price tag and attraction. State club ambition, target for next season? Well, it’s just words now. The only things club can 100% guarantee now is length of extension, wage, bonus and like you said, RVP is not interested in those.

I’m nervous just like you or any other Arsenal fans. We lost Kolo, Flamini, Hleb, Ade, Cesc, Nasri & Clichy recently, though important, none of them is at level of RVP. He’s The pillar of this club last season, captain, top scorer, top assist, a true inspiration. Losing RVP would be big blow and completely nullify our hard work this season. I’m afraid not much the management could do at this point, even if their true direction for the club next year is to be on top once again. Three possible outcome

1. RVP sign new contract, everything goes according to plan.

2. RVP leave for other clubs, we get a big chunk of money. Not sure if the club would spend it or not (History points to “no”).

3. RVP sees out his contract, we get another year of sensational football from him then start from zero again.

Obviously, 1 is the one we want but worst case scenario, which one would you prefer? 2 or 3?

Again, this summer is massive and will be the biggest test for Arsenal management, Stan & the board. And again, we the fans will have to live through 3 everlasting, nerve wracking months. But don’t we all get used to it.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by kuhcaoster Thu May 17, 2012 5:47 am

I was so nervous today, I was checking my phone and twitter to just get anything, because apparently they're holding talks today.

Twoism, I wouldn't say RVP may have been more important than Fabregas, but I totally get your point.

What I'm just confused about is why is this even a question? This was literally the best season Robin's ever had, clinching a 3rd place position to get qualification into the CL for what could be a winning season next year. Van Persie has all the evidence in front of him, Wenger is obviously very serious about signing this summer, as the Podolski signing was one of the first big ones this summer, and hopefully there will be more to come.

If he is going to make a decision, if anything it should be at the end of the summer transfer window. The only thing that should even make RVP consider joining another team is Wenger's failure to buy new players.

Robin's been with the gunners for 8 years now, and definitely suffered through this long trophy-less drought, but I just don't understand when things look like they're starting to turn around he considers leaving his home?
kuhcaoster
kuhcaoster
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Thu May 17, 2012 6:00 am

Chill out. Its still the early stages of a negotiation.

Its not as simple as bending over to every RVP demand and letting him have it (even though he does deserve it Laughing)

I personally ain't worried one bit.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by kuhcaoster Thu May 17, 2012 6:14 am

Haha, I'm not like frustrated or anything, I just want this to be over with so I can look forward to next season already.
kuhcaoster
kuhcaoster
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 am

I'm not as worried as it's still very early for that but I will say that it's dangerous to give a player too much insight over transfers as that would be empowering him way too much just to re-sign him but obviously we can't lose him as there is literally no one who we could sign to replicate his success last season.

MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu May 17, 2012 7:43 am

Last summer saw a shift in club policies. With the repayment of the debts incurred by the new stadium not being a factor that we had to constantly worry about and be pragmatic with during any transaction, we have potentially more muscle now.

Add to that, the increase in revenues gradually as we expand our business and market our brand of football in more global markets. The fact that we had to rely on selling star players and recruiting youngsters with potential to show profits at the end of the seasons is probably a thing of the past. Though we will continue to remain prudent with our investments, we are definitely not going to cringe at spending where needed - if we need a WC player, we will take a prudent call on that decision instead of signing a potentially WC youngster. (Podolski signing).

While the youth development programme should continue by all means (Toral and Bellerin, Miyachi, etc), the focus is not to have a bunch of youngsters ready to jump into first team, but to have a pool of youngsters who wil have to prove their mettle to break into an established bunch of first team players. (a la Jack Wilshere).

Why I make this long arduous post on club finances and policies? Because it is reflective of how we will deal with the transfers in the summer. And in turn, show our commitment to winning the title next season and doing well in the CL - and these are the only goals I want to talk about - not Carling Cup or FA Cup. Mentally, we have to tune to these goals.

I see many of you saying that our first team, when fit, is good enough to win the league. Maybe true. But this is a team game, and at our club, injuries play a big role. So its not just the starting 11, but the entire squad of 25 that we register with the FA, as well as the youth and reserves waiting in the wings, which has to be good enough to win the league. That is how we will be able to compete with the clubs from Manchester (19 points ahead of us this season).

And I think that is what will convince RvP, and other transfer targets that we have, to sign for us and forge a winning team. What do you guys think?

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Thu May 17, 2012 7:47 am

MJGunner wrote:I'm not as worried as it's still very early for that but I will say that it's dangerous to give a player too much insight over transfers as that would be empowering him way too much just to re-sign him but obviously we can't lose him as there is literally no one who we could sign to replicate his success last season.

While I would agree to that if you were talking about a player (read: C*nt) like Ca$ri, I think as the captain of the club, RvP merits the right to know atleast a bit of what he would be expected to lead onto the grass next season - a group of warriors who will conquer, or a bunch of rag-a-tag underperformers who will depend on him again to drag us over the line in third or fourth place.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu May 17, 2012 10:22 am

srigooner wrote:
MJGunner wrote:I'm not as worried as it's still very early for that but I will say that it's dangerous to give a player too much insight over transfers as that would be empowering him way too much just to re-sign him but obviously we can't lose him as there is literally no one who we could sign to replicate his success last season.

While I would agree to that if you were talking about a player (read: C*nt) like Ca$ri, I think as the captain of the club, RvP merits the right to know atleast a bit of what he would be expected to lead onto the grass next season - a group of warriors who will conquer, or a bunch of rag-a-tag underperformers who will depend on him again to drag us over the line in third or fourth place.

Very true, the captain has a right over an amount of what team he's going to be leading next year. He just needs to be reassured but total transparency could lead to more players taking a similar stance in demanding insight in the future.

But this is extremely crucial because if he's sold, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, it'll be fact. We'll just be a feeder club.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Hmmmm ! and now RVP! ...Unexpected 2bh ...but ,what da hell he want's ,or is it Wenger in fact orr just the fkn media ! One thing he should know ..if he leave ....No way !
btw ,morning Sri Razz -morning everyone...@Kuhcaoster Welcome to the forum m8

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu May 17, 2012 3:22 pm

RVP has 2 options:

1. Stay at Arsenal get a good pay raise and become a legend.

2. Go to Man City make more money, become the next Nasri.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu May 17, 2012 3:37 pm

See, in this situation you need to be weary of who is reporting the news. Look at the sources: the Sun, the Mail, the Mirror... I'd take those reports with a grain of salt.

Also, there're conflicting reports. Goal.com journalist Wayne Veysey (good with exclusive news and gets a surprising amount correct) has just tweeted the following:

"Nothing definitive from #AFC-van Persie negotiations yesterday. Told discussions ongoing & further talks planned."

So let's chill with the conspiracy theories for a bit, until we actually get some concrete news.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 pm

BBC now shedding more light on the situation:

@bbcsport_david: Van Persie joined the Dutch squad today with no agreement either way on his future. Resolution not expected anytime soon.

@bbcsport_david: Don't expect much news either. All camps agreed a vow of absolute silence - furious with a story published on a website on Monday night.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Flick Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:RVP has 2 options:

... Really, if he honestly leaves I would still support him due to all the stuff he's been with us. I believe he'll wait to see who we sign in the summer before signing an extension because I'm guessing he's tired of not winning a trophy and pissed off about Arsenal buying youngster rather then established veterans.

Flick
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 pm

In my opinion, RvP is just waiting for Arsenal to show guarantees on the transfer market, and to show their ambitions to go toes to toes with CIty and Manchester in the next couple of years. He is 28-9, about to sign his last big contract and he is in the form of his life. After all the half seasons he has had, priority in his mind must be to make the most of his situations and to be playing the CL semis next year i assume. That's how i see it, it's not that he is a money whore, or ungrateful towards arsenal, but he wants to win. He thinks of his own legacy, while fans want him to be a legend and stick with the club no matter what, not the same perspective.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Being an Arsenal legend and sticking with the club that stuck with you isn't a legacy? RvP Contract Talks 2859867778
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu May 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Flick wrote:
Raptorgunner wrote:RVP has 2 options:

... Really, if he honestly leaves I would still support him due to all the stuff he's been with us. I believe he'll wait to see who we sign in the summer before signing an extension because I'm guessing he's tired of not winning a trophy and pissed off about Arsenal buying youngster rather then established veterans.

I would never support him if he joins another EPL club.

I know for sure RVP heart is only at Arsenal and would not leave us. How can any player in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to play along side the god of football Podolski. :bow:

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Thu May 17, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 17, 2012 8:09 pm

MJGunner wrote:Being an Arsenal legend and sticking with the club that stuck with you isn't a legacy? RvP Contract Talks 2859867778

Of course it is, it's nice and all. That's why it's not an easy decision for him, but professional players have to be selfish for their own careers sometimes. At this point of his career, winning trophies has to be the most important thing.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Thu May 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Mr Nick09 wrote:
MJGunner wrote:Being an Arsenal legend and sticking with the club that stuck with you isn't a legacy? RvP Contract Talks 2859867778

Of course it is, it's nice and all. That's why it's not an easy decision for him, but professional players have to be selfish for their own careers sometimes. At this point of his career, winning trophies has to be the most important thing.

Yes it is, but how many big clubs out there that would gamble on siging RVP?

The only club I can see is Man City. Barca, Real, dont need him or willing to pay 10m a year plus 30m to buy him.

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu May 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:
Mr Nick09 wrote:

Yes it is, but how many big clubs out there that would gamble on siging RVP?

The only club I can see is Man City. Barca, Real, dont need him or willing to pay 10m a year plus 30m to buy him.

That's true, it just so happens that City would give him that opportunity. Maybe even Utd if he is on the market.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Arsenal Legend? for what exactly he's spent more time on the injury table than playing since joining Arsenal..... this as been his only season where he could be considered even close to Arsenal greats of the past....

He will have to do an awful lot for him to get even close to the legends bracket if he were to stay..... because he is nowhere near atm and quite frankly see him getting anywhere near....

I dont consider Cesc an Arsenal legend but he's miles higher in the echelon of Arsenal greats than RVP is.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 pm

I wouldn't say van Persie is miles off being a legend. A couple more seasons of 25+ goals and people will look back on him as more than just "that one good player that used to play for us". He's 8th in our all time goalscorers list and only needs 18 goals to go up to fourth. Only Thierry Henry, Ian Wright and Cliff Bastin will have scored more goals if he stays and accomplishes that.

The lack of trophies obviously will go against him, but just be virtue of being one of the club's highest ever goalscorers people will rank him as one of the greatest players this club has ever had. In my opinion, that is, essientially, what a club legend is.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

Arsenal Legend? for what exactly he's spent more time on the injury table than playing since joining Arsenal..... this as been his only season where he could be considered even close to Arsenal greats of the past....

He will have to do an awful lot for him to get even close to the legends bracket if he were to stay..... because he is nowhere near atm and quite frankly see him getting anywhere near....

I dont consider Cesc an Arsenal legend but he's miles higher in the echelon of Arsenal greats than RVP is.

This is not his ONLY season where he shone, he was carrying us last year aswell when everyone was going nuts. And scored many goals before aswell.

He was at Arsenal for 8 years and he's in the Top10 of our all-time goalscorers without even playing that much as the other guys.

Of course he's not the greatest but he will definitely be an Arsenal legend if he decides to stay more and continues to contribute like this.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

Too many forget how bright he shone in patches in recent years.

Regardless of how much this season outshines his others, if he were to sign a 4 year extension and at least play at 70% of what he was playing this year then he would be an Arsenal legend guaranteed.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 pm

RVP: “I’ve received many Proposals to leave Arsenal, but my Heart speaks louder and will not let me Leave.”

looks like hes staying
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down