RealGunner
Highburied
DuringTheWar
urbaNRoots
Arsenal4Eternity_dennab
45 posters

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by Sri Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:58 pm

MJ wrote:
Sri wrote:Already have him at BVB. :coffee:

You're an Arsenal fan.

I have an identity crisis duplicity. hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: Arsene Wenger Contract Discussion Thread

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Hopefully it's true.

A legend of the game that doesn't deserve the treatment he's been getting.

So because he's a legend of the game he shouldn't be judged on the now and not what he's done over the course of his career.

The results and performances over the last 3 years haven't been good enough and he's shown repeatedly that he's not the manager he was.

Father time finishes off everyone, people are getting all emotional over a great performance against Chelsea and ignoring the rest. If you do that then history will repeat itself again and again as it tends to happen with Wenger because he's so loved.

If everyone based their decisions on beloved legends can't be criticised for their performances then nobody would actually achieve any success.

You only have to look at AC Milan to see what holding on to the past for too long does.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:59 am

Moal gets my view Proud

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:15 am

Who would we realistically get if not him right now?
Name me a high profile manager who would drop their team for ours right now.... name one.
I don't want to go with the Brendan Rodgers or Davey Moyes route. We can't afford that.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:53 am

And that fear of change is exactly why we will be stuck with Wenger, for all his flaws.

Think back 20 years. The board had the same question in front of them.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:17 am

No, the past three seasons haven't been good enough. Especially last season. With all the immense due respect and adoration, we're being generous as a fan base if the general consensus is to reserve judgment until our season has taken something resembling its final shape.

Wenger knows it and is doing the same thing. Like in 2014, he'll assess whether he feels he can/should keep going. I don't think that means in football but here at Arsenal. I'm inclined to say there are cases to be made for him stepping aside even if we win something big but failing this season will hopefully effect change come summer.

For his sake and ours, neither party wants to become stale.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:54 am

Some of you guys are afraid of change.

Don't be.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:16 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Who would we realistically get if not him right now?
Name me a high profile manager who would drop their team for ours right now.... name one.
I don't want to go with the Brendan Rodgers or Davey Moyes route. We can't afford that.

Our new manager doesn't necessarily have to be high profile tbh. For every Brendan Rodgers there's a Thomas Tuchel, Jürgen Klopp or an Arsene Wenger to be discovered. At some point we have to take the risk.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Ahem

Pippo.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:09 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:

Our new manager doesn't necessarily have to be high profile tbh. For every Brendan Rodgers there's a Thomas Tuchel, Jürgen Klopp or an Arsene Wenger to be discovered. At some point we have to take the risk.
Proud

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:35 pm

I rather fail with someone new and relatively inexperienced (Howe or former players) than watch someone like Moyes take charge and just suck the life out of me with his style of football.
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Need to ban ES from this section
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:34 pm

You have the power mate hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:18 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:

Is that the right way to frame it though?
Shouldn't it be, for every Tuchel there's 10 Brendan Rodgers (and even Rodgers is above average mind you)?
Not disagreeing with your point, it's just that the risk is higher than your sentence gives away.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:27 pm

potaytoe potahtow

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Arsene is one of a kind. I am sure there is no one like him out there.

A new manager will have to build his own legacy.

Welcome Pippo
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:

Shouldn't it be, for every Tuchel there's 10 Brendan Rodgers (and even Rodgers is above average mind you)?
Not disagreeing with your point, it's just that the risk is higher than your sentence gives away.

Yes, you're right.

What I mean to say is that, it could go either way. And if we get it wrong, we can always sack the new manager and get another one, until it does get better. We have the finances to work this way now, thanks to Arsene Wenger.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:30 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:

Yes, you're right.

What I mean to say is that, it could go either way. And if we get it wrong, we can always sack the new manager and get another one, until it does get better. We have the finances to work this way now, thanks to Arsene Wenger.

the thing I wonder is though, wouldn't you need a structural reform too when Wenger leaves? Something United should have had too?

Because with Wenger, the manager is the complete center of authority.
After he leaves, you are right in that you might be needing to hire and fire a couple of managers before one works out.
Wouldn't you need a good DoF or something similar for that, to ensure some sort of continuity?
That's what United been lacking - now Mourinho comes in and say he wants everyone "to forget the last 3 years".
With a DoF providing continuity, years might not be completely lost like that.

Is Gazidis the person to do this? Or who's there?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Robert Pires.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Yes, Arsenal would absolutely need restructuring after Wenger leaves. Currently, we have no DoF or any football representation on the board. I suppose when Wenger goes it will be down to Gazidis to do this.

Right now the key decision makers at the club are determined to let Wenger have his way. So if he doesn't want a DoF we're not having one, and if he doesn't want ex-players at the club who might challenge his authority then they won't be here. We're one of the few big clubs around that doesn't have former players on the board or as part of the coaching staff, which is why I really worry about the future. Right now our future is in the hands of businessmen who don't know Arsenal or English football very well at all.

Gazidis would likely be in charge of all this but it's difficult to guage how well he would do because he's never had to hire a manager or a DoF before.

The upheaval post-Wenger will be massive. He's kept the same staff around for over a decade because he's extremely loyal, but a new manager will want his own coaches, scouts, etc. It's something that needs to happen though because putting all the power in the hands on one guy, even if he's highly competent, isn't sustainable.

Last edited by Jay29 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:13 am

Would have been wonderful if one of the legends could have taken over since they would have been fine with the set up Arsene left them with. At least half of it. Then they could slowly change things around. But none of the legends bar few look like they actually care enough about Arsenal.

Look at the likes of Pires and Ljunberg. They quietly come to the training ground, train and help the players. Help the club with whatever they can i.e sporting activities and don't make a fuss. Then you have other legends who want a seat directly next to Arsene's without showing the work ethic and then cry about it when things don't go their way.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:21 pm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Cool with that, don't see too many options right now but who knows who is available in 2018.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Yea same.

Will also see how good Eddie Howe really is by then.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:41 pm

He should have been on a rolling contract ages ago. It's a lot easier to assess how to go forward on a yearly basis now than it is to wait until the end of three or four year cycles.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Hopefully Tuchel is available at the end of 17/18 season. hmm
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next