LeVersacci
the xcx
El Gunner
118 posters

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next

Go down

All about Mesut Özil Empty All about Mesut Özil

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:09 pm

I've been wanting to say this for a long time, and today was the catalyst which I needed.

As many of you know by now, I've been critical of Özil for most of this season. I know what this might seem like. This might seem like a knee-jerk, or a 17-year old *bleep* ass, who knows nothing at all what he is talking about. But the thing remains, I just dislike Mesut Özil as a footballer.

For starters, he isn't the type of player (midfielder) I like. Imo, midfielders should be lively and energetic and always looking to run. Özil is just the opposite of that. He just strolls around waiting to get hold of the ball and then try to make a good through ball, which he fails at 80% of the time. He's slow and takes his time on the ball. Evident when he was dispossessed leading to one of the Liverpool goals today, and when he was outnumbered and made a cringeworthy pass that didn't find its way to a teammate, and which in turn led to another Liverpool goal. When Özil is dispossessed he never retreats/recovers to retain possession. Some of his movement is good, and he makes some devastating passes every now and then. But that just isn't enough for me. It just isn't. A midfielder should be hungry and should be working hard most of the time, and when I look at Özil on the pitch - just his face and body language - I can't see any hunger, grit nor determination.

You can throw all the stats at me about how many assists he's made since whenever, but I don't care.
He is supposed to be world class. He is supposed to be worth £40+ million for us. Well guess what. He isn't.

There! I've said it. Sorry if you disagree, but this is just my view on it. Slaughter me all you want.

PS: I actually wanted to title this thread: "I'm done with Mesut Özil"
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

All about Mesut Özil Empty Re: All about Mesut Özil

Post by the xcx Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:17 pm

How did Mou get the best out of Özil :bow: :bow:
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Carlo & Mou doesn't like lazy midfielders (ozil & mata)

hmm hmm
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Madrid does not take refunds!
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Agree with the OP 100%.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack Daniels Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 pm

the xcx wrote:Madrid does not take refunds!
Has 1 year warranty.

Give him back to us and we'll replace him with Isco.
Jack Daniels
Jack Daniels
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffer Harley Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:36 pm

All about Mesut Özil Tumblr_lywwenSYkl1qj6yt4
Toffer Harley
Toffer Harley
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Wolfsburg

Back to top Go down

Post by LeSwagg James Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Since when do attacking midfielders need to have grit and steel, of track back a lot?
LeSwagg James
LeSwagg James
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:37 pm

well, tough shit, elgunner, you don't like your new expensive signing, and the rest of your team are complete bottlers as well. I feel for you.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:41 pm

Not the first Arsenal fan I hear saying this. More Arsenal fans than I expected have been underwhelmed with him this season.

He's quality imo...just has a habit of not turning up when the going gets tough.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Yeezus Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Paying 42mln for a Volkswagen beetle that runs for 55 minutes.

Yeezus
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:55 pm

You don't like him? Well tough shit...
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

His performance today was bad, just as bad as every other Arsenal player. But as far as his whole Arsenal career so far is concerned, what were Arsenal fans really expecting from him?

He's not the sort of player who runs with the ball and takes on three or four players, or the sort who's prolific in front of goal or bangs a few in from distance. He's not a work horse. He won't put himself about the pitch, getting a foot in and hassling the opposition.

What he is is a creator, and creating isn't just the responsibility of the single player. It requires someone to see the movement ahead of him and find that with the right pass, but it also requires the movement to be there in the first place. In this Arsenal team, he's playing with guys like Cazorla, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Arteta, Rosicky and Giroud who's first movement tends to be towards the ball and not behind opposition defences. Ozil will get on the ball, look up and see one player ahead of him, usually Giroud, surrounded by several players, and will see four or five of his team-mates in and around his position, not ahead of him. So what can he do in that situation?

Imagine if he had the pace of Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez ahead of him on a game-by-game basis. Imagine if he could play with Walcott or Ramsey on a regular basis. You'd see a lot more from him.

So yes, he can improve. He can tighten up his game a little bit, perhaps work that little bit harder or try something a little different every now and then when things aren't working out. At the same time, the team isn't set-up to get the best out of him, and you're not going to see the best of him until either the team changes or he changes.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm

LeSwagg James wrote:Since when do attacking midfielders need to have grit and steel, of track back a lot?

Coutinho did what Ozil didnt look at the difference of what happened in the game. That's why Mata didnt make it at Chelsea.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:His performance today was bad, just as bad as every other Arsenal player. But as far as his whole Arsenal career so far is concerned, what were Arsenal fans really expecting from him?

He's not the sort of player who runs with the ball and takes on three or four players, or the sort who's prolific in front of goal or bangs a few in from distance. He's not a work horse. He won't put himself about the pitch, getting a foot in and hassling the opposition.

What he is is a creator, and creating isn't just the responsibility of the single player. It requires someone to see the movement ahead of him and find that with the right pass, but it also requires the movement to be there in the first place. In this Arsenal team, he's playing with guys like Cazorla, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Arteta, Rosicky and Giroud who's first movement tends to be towards the ball and not behind opposition defences. Ozil will get on the ball, look up and see one player ahead of him, usually Giroud, surrounded by several players, and will see four or five of his team-mates in and around his position, not ahead of him. So what can he do in that situation?

Imagine if he had the pace of Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez ahead of him on a game-by-game basis. Imagine if he could play with Walcott or Ramsey on a regular basis. You'd see a lot more from him.

So yes, he can improve. He can tighten up his game a little bit, perhaps work that little bit harder or try something a little different every now and then when things aren't working out. At the same time, the team isn't set-up to get the best out of him, and you're not going to see the best of him until either the team changes or he changes.

spot on, as usual.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 pm

LeSwagg James wrote:Since when do attacking midfielders need to have grit and steel, of track back a lot?
Never said steel, only said grit.

If you watch a lot of Arsenal games you'll know that our game requires all of our midfielders (especially the ones outwide) are required to track back a lot. It's in the way we play. Simple as.

Özil has played outwide at times this season, and when it was required of him to track back, he doesn't.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:His performance today was bad, just as bad as every other Arsenal player. But as far as his whole Arsenal career so far is concerned, what were Arsenal fans really expecting from him?

Well this post doesn't counter anything I've said. If it was supposed to.

You're just basically saying that it isn't working at the moment. That something needs to change. And that I completely agree with.

So is Özil good enough that we change and base our game for/on him? We'll need an awful lot of changes and maybe even new players, because as you said a lot of our players have the style of coming to the ball rather than making runs.

Maybe, the Özil signing was just more to uplift the spirit around the club and maybe not well thought out tactically-wise.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by che Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 pm

that's exactly what arsenal were getting into... a guy who strolls around the final third picking passes, with a tendency to completely disappear out of a game once/twice a month

he still has the ability to get you a good number of points on assists alone, even more if arsenal were playing an actual forward, not a traffic cone
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Agreed that his life is made more difficult with somebody like Giroud infront of him, but the OP is still spot on.

Ozil is a luxury player, and often disappears which is not what you expect from a 'World Class' player at all.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Mou you genius :bow:
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:28 pm

so wait a minute, you've been top of table all season, today you had a disastrous game for a number of reasons, with Özil's performance surely not in the top 5 of those reasons, and now is the time to really get to the bottom of this Özil problem, right?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:29 pm

che wrote:that's exactly what arsenal were getting into... a guy who strolls around the final third picking passes, with a tendency to completely disappear out of a game once/twice a month

he still has the ability to get you a good number of points on assists alone, even more if arsenal were playing an actual forward, not a traffic cone
Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:so wait a minute, you've been top of table all season, today you had a disastrous game for a number of reasons, with Özil's performance surely not in the top 5 of those reasons, and now is the time to really get to the bottom of this Özil problem, right?
As I've said it's something that's been bothering me for a while now. If you had been a regular in post-match threads in the Arsenal section this season you would've known.

I admit that the result and performance today was frustrating and it was the catalyst to me just wanting to speak my mind on him.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Well this post doesn't counter anything I've said. If it was supposed to.

You're just basically saying that it isn't working at the moment. That something needs to change. And that I completely agree with.

So is Özil good enough that we change and base our game for/on him? We'll need an awful lot of changes and maybe even new players, because as you said a lot of our players have the style of coming to the ball rather than making runs.

Maybe, the Özil signing was just more to uplift the spirit around the club and maybe not well thought out tactically-wise.

I was speaking generally in response to anyone who thought Ozil has been "underwhelming" this season. If you dislike the style of the player than I can't, and won't, dispute that. The only thing I can say is that whatever expectation we had of him need to be tempered.

The changes Arsenal can make is putting Ramsey and Walcott back into the side and bringing in a more mobile striker, and regardless of Ozil, those are things they should be doing anyway, circumstances allowing. That's not a lot of changes, nor is it anything difficult to implement.

I'm of the belief that Ozil is good enough to base our game on, because for all his faults, there are few players with his vision and ability to create chances. His lack of work rate hasn't hindered Arsenal defensively this season and is, perhaps, overstated. He plays in a position where you can afford a bit of luxury, so long as you compensate else where in the team, which we do by having a very hard working striker in Giroud.

Wenger will have had a plan in mind when he signed Ozil. Although our most pressing need then was a striker, we did also need a no. 10. It just so happens that Ozil came first.

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Feel for him.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1625670_933272050046345_566253099_n.jpg
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 32 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 32  Next