Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ?

+26
Lupi
El Chelsea Fuerte
Highburied
ExtremistEnigma
Onyx
mr-r34
missjb
RED
Abramovich
iftikhar
zigra
Lord Awesome
VendettaRed07
chinomaster182
futbol
Gil
Uncanny
McLewis
Robespierre
Lord Spencer
McAgger
Art Morte
Doc
RealGunner
Firenze
DeletedUser#1
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ? Empty Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ?

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Genuinely curious to hear it.

Both teams weren't given any sniff or shot to even secure CL qualification in summer, and both teams have been out of CL for years with loyal captains, yet both are managing to challenge for the title.

Whose form has been more of a surprise to you? Which team do you reckon is more suited to CL football next year?

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ? Empty Re: Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ?

Post by Firenze Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Liverpool, definitely, on all accounts. Especially the way they're going around spanking teams. If you asked me if Roma could qualify for CL and be up there this season I wouldn't have a hard time believing it, because Serie A. Udinese did it a few times in recent years.

Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ? Empty Re: Who's season has been more impressive/surprising. Liverpool or Roma ?

Post by RealGunner Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I saw potential in Roma last season. With the signings they made, I knew they would finish top 3 and I predicted it before the season.

Liverpool are a complete surprise. I thought they would finish 5th but this is a really surprising campaign by them.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Liverpool for me. The cynics can say they took advantage of the ugly transition Utd is having, Chelsea and City's sporadic form (kinda), hell, they can even say they are benefiting from not having such an extensive campaign but who cares about cynics. No one, that's what.

They shocked the s-h-i-t outta me mainly because I really didn't watch them a whole lot last season. I'm sure they'll do well enough in Europe since Liverpool seems to really enjoy those European nights.

Roma's title challenge is surprising as well since I thought Napoli would have been a bigger threat though I have little faith they'll make much waves in Europe. Unfortunately, my faith in Serie A is dwindling.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Liverpool.

Teams in Serie A seem to be struggling to truly strengthen themselves, so it's creating better grounds for surprises.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 pm

Well it really wasn't a surprise for me that we're doing so well. Even in the past 4 years of mediocrity I always believed our players were too good for 6th/7th/8th.

It was always about having the right manager. Woy was clueless. Kenny played a system that would never work in the modern game to try to fit our record signing, and he brought in more scrubs to accommodate Carroll's strengths. And last season was basically clearing out deadwood for the first six months and learning Rodgers' system.

Our form was top 4 quality since January 2013 when Cou&Studge arrived. In the summer we got rid of even more underperforming players (Downing, Shelvey, Reina) and brought in some more decent players (Mig and Sakho). As well as young players such as Flanno, Hendo and Sterling improving massively.

Not at all surprising.

I was more surprised at how well Rudi Garcia managed to make Roma. That unbelievable winning streak at the beginning of the season was special. Guys like Gervinho, Strootman and Benatia turning out to be gems. I thought Roma's problems were so much deeper but the way they've regrouped as a team and the way Garcia has managed to stabilize almost what felt like a sinking ship to me is extraordinary.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm

I am more surprised by the quality of players Roma managed to unearth, because Liverpool obviously had quality, but Roma's was not so obvious.

However, Liverpool's title challenge is surprising as I only expected them to compete for 4th. Even though, I did not expect Roma to be even in the top 5.
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:39 pm

LFC of course.
both club showed potential last year (Liverpool since 2nd round, Roma was wrong with managers), but the league played by Liverpool for table and realization numbers (90 scored goals) is another thing
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Liverpool have been more surprising. Roma have been a bit more impressive, especially defensively.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncanny Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:14 am

Definitely Liverpool, it's a real surprise. I wrote them off all up until February when they started to creep on Chelsea, and now their first in the league.
Roma is a solid team, but given the state serie A is in right now, with Milan and Inter both not a threat to the title anymore. I like that Roma is up there and Napoli too.
Uncanny
Uncanny
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:20 am

Roma. They're doing it in a tougher League.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncanny Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:05 am

Gil wrote:Roma. They're doing it in a tougher League.

It's a tougher league because Milan and inter aren't giants anymore.  So in terms of quality, it's more even amongst the top half of the league table, except for juve of course who are bulldozing through everyone.
Uncanny
Uncanny
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:56 am

Liverpool. They are actually leading the table right now and have it in their own hands to win the league. Roma are trailing 8 points behind. It's just not as much of a wow factor for me that Roma are doing better than Fiorentina, Inter, Parma etc. Maybe slightly surprising that Napoli aren't doing better. But if you asked at the beginning of the season which one is more likely:

a) Liverpool above City, Chelsea, Arsenal, United
b) Roma above Napoli, Viola, Parma, Inter

Most would have picked b.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:05 am

Liverpool, they're actually gonna go through with it.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:13 am

Liverpool, more impressive for sure.. Surprising? I'm not sure. Don't think either has been surprising.. But that's because I kind of felt like liverpool would do something special this year. Roma did pretty much what I expected them too as well
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:14 am

It's a tie between Liverpool & Athletico. Though for this thread it's defo Liverpool.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 am

Gil wrote:Roma. They're doing it in a tougher League.
Oh Gil Very Happy.. One of your "Reading this makes me want to move to china" posts
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:50 am

Roma in 2nd place is a surprise, Liverpool challenging for the title is a shock. Easy decision for me.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 am

Nothing I'll enjoy more than a last minute Terry header in front of the Kop to end Liverpool's title hopes.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:43 am

I had a feeling that this season will be better than last few. I was dreaming (not expecting) that we would make CL next season. Given the state of our squad and spate of injuries, I thought CL would be a good achievement. Now, with six games left and breathing down the neck of the mighty Blues (both shades), it's just awesome.

Roma is a kind of a let down, isn't it!!! I mean after winning first 11 games, you are basically out of the title race is kind of an anti-climax. I did expect them to qualify for CL, so not really surprised.

Atletico is another surprise. Going full-steam in both League & CL, and that with a pretty thin squad is quiet an achievement.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:34 am

For me Liverpool, I knew they had geninue top quality (any team with SAS and Gerrard does) but never expected a pure title challenge. Thought be around Arsenal level but ofc no Europe would help them significantly, but not to the level where they are at top.

I could have not read mcaggers post and knew exactly what would have been said Laughing.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Liverpool by far. Looking at their team on paper, they have no right being in 1st place and challenging for the league.

Proves what a good manager can do to a team.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by missjb Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Roma for me. Liverpool I know they will have a chance to challenge Top 4. Non European competition involvement help them alot, They made a crucial signing in January's transfer, and There is already a sign of Liverpool's consistency in the 2nd half of last season.

But I didn't expected Roma would be so quickly to bounce back with Rudi Garcia. They sold their players and it's Rudi's first season..
missjb
missjb
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 pm

missjb wrote:Roma for me. Liverpool I know they will have a chance to challenge Top 4. Non European competition involvement help them alot, They made a crucial signing in January's transfer,  and There is already a sign of  Liverpool's consistency in the 2nd half of last season.

But I didn't expected Roma would be so quickly to bounce back with Rudi Garcia. They sold their players and it's Rudi's first season..

We haven't signed a crucial first team player since January 2013, and we didn't even sign 1 player last January window.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by missjb Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:01 pm

mr-r34 wrote:
missjb wrote:Roma for me. Liverpool I know they will have a chance to challenge Top 4. Non European competition involvement help them alot, They made a crucial signing in January's transfer,  and There is already a sign of  Liverpool's consistency in the 2nd half of last season.

We haven't signed a crucial first team player since January 2013, and we didn't even sign 1 player last January window.
I know Liverpool didn't signed anyone in January this season. I mean january's signing last season eg. Coutinho, Sturridge
missjb
missjb
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next