Casciavit
halamadrid2
Bankz
harhar11
BarcaLearning
79 posters

Page 13 of 42 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27 ... 42  Next

Go down

The Official Balon d'Or 2014 Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Balon d'Or 2014 Thread

Post by Doc Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:05 pm

sportsczy wrote:Remember him trying a bicycle kick clearance in his box for no reason and he missed the ball Laughing  The striker took the ball and scored.  In a WC again too. Remember he got torched for that and rightfully so.
1998 World Cup quarter finals against Denmark. It was so laughable and stupid to even attempt when all that was needed was a simple headed clearance. Not sure if it was one of the Laudrup brothers or Tommason that scored.

If Taffarel could have gotten away with it, he would ended Roberto with his bare hands for that.

Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

The Official Balon d'Or 2014 Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Balon d'Or 2014 Thread

Post by Zealous Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

I mean yeah RC had his off moments but they weren't that many lol

In any case that doesn't change the fact that during the late 90's early 2000's (for Madrid at least) RC was playing at an elite level. He was absolutely one of a kind.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:27 am

Zealous wrote:
Forza wrote:As I said, worst thread on GL.

You think Philip Lahm is the best player in the world? Laughing

The very fact that you think a player who is predominantly a left back can be properly compared to a player who is predominantly a striker is reprehensible.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:23 am

This is 2010 all over again..
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:39 am

Forza wrote:
Zealous wrote:
Forza wrote:As I said, worst thread on GL.

The very fact that you think a player who is predominantly a left back can be properly compared to a player who is predominantly a striker is reprehensible.

I'm not the one making the comparison. RWO is crying her eyes out over Lahm deserving recognition.

I'm just saying Lahm is not and was never the best player in the world. That much is true.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:52 am

Lahm is the best player on Germany NT and Bayern... so yes, he is among the best players in the world. Defenders just don't get the marketing/hype that strikers do.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 am

Doc wrote:
sportsczy wrote:Remember him trying a bicycle kick clearance in his box for no reason and he missed the ball Laughing  The striker took the ball and scored.  In a WC again too. Remember he got torched for that and rightfully so.
1998 World Cup quarter finals against Denmark. It was so laughable and stupid to even attempt when all that was needed was a simple headed clearance. Not sure if it was one of the Laudrup brothers or Tommason that scored.

If Taffarel could have gotten away with it, he would ended Roberto with his bare hands for that.

It was Brian hmm One of my first memories. Should have won that game ffs Sad
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:43 am

Zealous wrote:I'm not the one making the comparison. RWO is crying her eyes out over Lahm deserving recognition.
I'm not crying my eyes out, I'm merely shaking my head that a player who only scores lots of goals because his team is geared up to feed him as he is actually pretty ineffective (after all, he needs lots of attempts before he finally finds the net - what was it? 7 attempts per goal?) is considered the best of the world. After all, outside of his current home club he is way less useful as you can see with his NT results.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:38 am

That's no longer true RWO. Ronaldo is lethally efficient now surprisingly since he's not even a CF. If you were talking about 2013 and before, i would agree with you 100%. But not 2014.

As i've said, i don't mind one of the German guys winning if it's not Ronaldo. That said, i expect it to be Ronaldo and he'd deserve it.

This isn't like 2013 where he had no business winning it and FIFA had to change the rules (moving voting deadlines, etc.) to make sure he did.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Zealous wrote:
Forza wrote:
Zealous wrote:

I'm not the one making the comparison. RWO is crying her eyes out over Lahm deserving recognition.

I'm just saying Lahm is not and was never the best player in the world. That much is true.

You clearly don't realise that these two statements are contradictory because what you have written in the second sentence implies that you have made a comparison between Lahm and other players.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:28 pm

Of course you can compare players playing different positions lol.
You can compare quality and importance. Lahm is great, but not as good as Messi and Ronaldo.
If you really think Lahm is better or as good as those two and people just don't recognize it because he's a defender.. well Laughing
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Best thread in GL imo
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Forza wrote:
Zealous wrote:
Forza wrote:

You clearly don't realise that these two statements are contradictory because what you have written in the second sentence implies that you have made a comparison between Lahm and other players.

LMAO talk about a strawman Laughing

So you're saying that the concept of "best player in the world" doesn't exist? Because you can't compare players? lol
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealous Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:35 pm

rwo power wrote:
Zealous wrote:I'm not the one making the comparison. RWO is crying her eyes out over Lahm deserving recognition.
I'm not crying my eyes out, I'm merely shaking my head that a player who only scores lots of goals because his team is geared up to feed him as he is actually pretty ineffective (after all, he needs lots of attempts before he finally finds the net - what was it? 7 attempts per goal?) is considered the best of the world. After all, outside of his current home club he is way less useful as you can see with his NT results.

RWO, If you're not watching any Madrid games then just don't comment.

Calling a player who scored 17 CL goals in one season winning La Decima in the process, the reining golden boot winner and a player who has scored 23 goals in 16 games in the new season by November "inefficient" is ridiculous, just listen to yourself.

Football is worthless without goals and the players that can create them will always be loved, paid and awarded more. If there are no standout attacking players then sure a midfielder or defender can win the Balon D'Or but that's not the case in this current era.
Zealous
Zealous
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:15 am

Zealous wrote:
Forza wrote:
Zealous wrote:

LMAO talk about a strawman Laughing

So you're saying that the concept of "best player in the world" doesn't exist? Because you can't compare players? lol

I'm yet to see how any comparison could be done systematically. For example, could you argue that the quality of Neuer's shot-stopping is better or worse or equivalent to the quality of Ronaldo's shooting? How would you go about doing that? Who is the more important player? Well, who knows. How do you judge that? My position is that football is a team game and that the emphasis put on this individual award is nothing more than shallow, petty, pathetic fanboyism. That's why this is the worst thread on GL.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:29 am

2014 (3.11) in official games

Messi 43 (6pen) goals, 25 assists = directly part of 68 goals
Cronaldo 50 (10pen) goals, 14 assists = directly part of 64 goals

Benzema 29 (1pen) goals, 21 assists = directly part of 50 goals

Bale 21 (0pen) goals, 19 assists = directly part of 40 goals

Zlatan 27 (4pen) goals, 11 assists = directly part of 38 goals
Müller 24 (6pen) goals, 14 assists = directly part of 38 goals
Di Maria 10 (0pen) goals, 26 assists = directly part of 36 goals
Neymar 28 (0pen) goals, 7 assists = directly part of 35 goals
James 20 (3pen) goals, 15 assists = directly part of 35 goals
Götze 21 (0pen) goals, 12 assists = directly part of 33 goals
Suarez 16 (0pen) goals, 16 assists = directly part of 32 goals (not shortlisted)
Robben 18 (3pen) goals, 14 assists = directly part of 32 goals

Costa 24 (2pen) goals, 3 assists = directly part of 27 goals
Toure 15 (5pen) goals, 8 assists = directly part of 23 goals
Hazard 13 (7pen) goals, 10 assists = directly part of 23 goals
Pobga 8 (0pen) goals, 12 assists = directly part of 20 goals

Kroos 6 (0pen) goals, 10 assists = directly part of 16 goals
Iniesta 3 (0pen) goals, 11 assists = directly part of 14 goals
Schweinsteiger 6 (0pen) goals, 4 assists = directly part of 10 goals

Defenders

Lahm
Mascherano
Ramos

Goalies

Neuer
Courtois

Cronaldo catching up Messi, Benzema keeping up with Cronaldo.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuru Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am

I wonder how Harmonica finds the time to dig up all these statistics. xD
Kuru
Kuru
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:29 am

Well it took literally less than 3 minutes. Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuru Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Although I doubt that, I can only applaud efficient trolling! Razz
Kuru
Kuru
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Efficient trolling, what on earth are you on about? Laughing
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Is an international friendly an official game aswell? My numbers are slightly different and I didn't include them so I guess that could be the difference..?
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Curtinho Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:23 pm

http://messivsronaldo.net/calendar-year.php

Updated to today...

Ronaldo with 50 goals and 14 assists in 48 apps (64 goals directly contributed to)
Messi with 43 goals and 21 assists in 55 apps (64 goals directly contributed to)

Messi needing 7 more games to match Ronaldo's output (and goals are better than assists anyway, Messi relying on the quality of his teammates to even match Ronaldo). 7 less goals in 7 more games and counting...Ronaldo is going to run away with this award. Laughing
Curtinho
Curtinho
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:36 pm

I sometimes wonder how Gerd Müller didn't win ten BdO in a row What a Face
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:58 pm

zigra wrote:Is an international friendly an official game aswell? My numbers are slightly different and I didn't include them so I guess that could be the difference..?
Yes, they are governed by FIFA with FIFA rules, and included FIFA-rankings, which then are used choosing the pots in draws. Club friendlies, exhibition matches and so on are not as they are not governed by FIFA and the rules are decided by the teams themselves.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:04 pm

zigra wrote:I sometimes wonder how Gerd Müller didn't win ten BdO in a row What a Face
He wasn't overhyped like Cronaldo just by goal scoring, he wasn't media cash cow. It's shame that players like Van Nistelrooy have 0 Ballon d'Or's when players like Cronaldo have 2.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Harmonica wrote:
zigra wrote:I sometimes wonder how Gerd Müller didn't win ten BdO in a row What a Face
He wasn't overhyped like Cronaldo just by goal scoring, he wasn't media cash cow. It's shame that players like Van Nistelrooy have 0 Ballon d'Or's when players like Cronaldo have 2.

wat.. As much as I love Van Nistelrooy, he was nowhere near the level CR7 is at.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 42 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27 ... 42  Next