Kaladin
RealGunner
VivaStPauli
rwo power
BarrileteCosmico
50 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Brexit: Should the UK stay or go? - Page 15 Empty Re: Brexit: Should the UK stay or go?

Post by Jay29 Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 am

RealGunner wrote:No idea where Basildon is but it sounds like a made up name

This is where I live rofl

Thurrock

It's like someone drunk is trying to say THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO VOTE LEAVEEEE

About 20 mins away from where I live and a shithole rofl

So anyway, I woke up and found the pound coins in my wallet have disintegrated. Was supposed to be doing grocery shopping today but now worried a tin of smart-price beans is going to cost me £30.

But it's okay because when I'm on my farm in Cornwall I can grow my own beans. Thumbs up

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Brexit: Should the UK stay or go? - Page 15 Empty Re: Brexit: Should the UK stay or go?

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:09 am

Remember this beauty ffs

Wyatt family brexit working class promo ffs

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 am

Made a sandwich just now, but I dropped it on the way to the living room

According to culinary experts on Sky Living, it's due to Brexit. their opinion is that my sandwich could have been saved if only we'd chosen to stay in the EU, but since we're out, I can never make another sandwich again
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am

@Tomwin

BTW talking about referendums in Germany - I totally forgot that in Germany we cannot do any referendums like the UK Brexit thing, as in the Grundgesetz ("Basic Law", the constitution of Germany) there are only two types of a mandatory binding referendum on the federal level - for changing the constitution and for changing the state territories.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:32 am

Yikes and I thought England had it bad in terms of democracy
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:35 am

Lex wrote:Made a sandwich just now, but I dropped it on the way to the living room

According to culinary experts on Sky Living, it's due to Brexit. their opinion is that my sandwich could have been saved if only we'd chosen to stay in the EU, but since we're out, I can never make another sandwich again

Laughing

Can you even afford to put anything in the sandwich Laughing
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:36 am

@Lex

Germany consists of a couple of federal states, and within the federal states there are different laws on referendums concerning the states. So People do have a say, but just not on the federal stratum. That way Germany as country keeps one voice, even though the states could have different ideas on some things.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:49 am

Oh by the way - wasn't much of the Brexit vote about getting rid of David Cameron?

Now I wonder about one thing - one big complaint from the Brexit side was that "We can vote out our government, but we can't vote out the EU big wigs".

So wouldn't have it been more sensible to actually vote out Cameron and his cronies without throwing all the toys out of the pram? I mean, couldn't you have done something like a "constructive vote of no confidence"?

Last edited by rwo power on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:50 am

@rwo

Didn't know that, strange one
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:50 am

@Tomwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_vote_of_no_confidence
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:55 am

Anybody see this from Farage btw?

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/746218028195426305

Politicking 101: don't say part of your campaign was a mistake when people have voted because of that mistake.

And this guy is one of the most influential men in the country :facepalm:

Also:

https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/746279848180592640

Good to know so many people thought hard about this vote.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 pm

ES wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClrZpHKWMAAB46h.jpg

I think this is a good point. To me, this referendum has a lot to do with nostalgia for a British identity and the older you are, the more of an issue with change you have. Not to say that not every vote should be equal, but certainly for huge long term decisions like this shouldn't the "elders" take into account what the people that will actually live with the decisions they make want?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

I think this is a good point. To me, this referendum has a lot to do with nostalgia for a British identity and the older you are, the more of an issue with change you have. Not to say that not every vote should be equal, but certainly for huge long term decisions like this shouldn't the "elders" take into account what the people that will actually live with the decisions they make want?

You actually just described a big problem of democracy.

People, in large numbers, who won't have to live with the choice they made decided for people who will.

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:32 pm

BTW, I just read up on the tory party as I wondered why they are called "tories"... Here's what Wikipedia gives:
The word "Tory" derives from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe; modern Irish tóraí: outlaw, robber or brigand, from the Irish word tóir, meaning "pursuit", since outlaws were "pursued men"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:36 pm

BarrileteCosmico wrote:

They take into account what they think is better for the young. They take into account the interests of the dead, the living, and the not yet born, it is Burke's social contract for the ages and a foundation of British tradition. This of course requires viewing society in a certain way. Still, it seems somewhat more wholesome than the rampant narcissism in the millennial generation.
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:38 pm

rwo power wrote:BTW, I just read up on the tory party as I wondered why they are called "tories"... Here's what Wikipedia gives:
The word "Tory" derives from the Middle Irish word tóraidhe; modern Irish tóraí: outlaw, robber or brigand, from the Irish word tóir, meaning "pursuit", since outlaws were "pursued men"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory

Laughing
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 pm

The issue in the UK.... the US and many other elite western countries... is that, although there has been unprecedented wealth creation over the past 15-20 years, that wealth has landed in the pockets of the very few as opposed to the majority of people.  As a result, a significant portion of the population has been left behind and resent it.  In fact, their standard of living has eroded despite having to work harder than ever.  This leads to populist issues and candidates gaining traction and becoming viable political alternatives....  hence Brexit, Donald Trump, Sanders, Front National, etc.

They don't gain traction because the disgruntled masses will be better off as a result of supporting them... they gain traction because the DMs (disgruntled masses) feel as if anything is better than what they're currently experiencing.  Of course, they are wrong because things are likely to get worse as a result.  BUT, these countries are democracies and you will suffer the consequences of ignoring large portions of the population.

Only in democracies does every person get 1 vote regardless of influence... it's a system of checks and balances.

Now, politicians have to take into account the will of the people and adjust.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Betty La Fea wrote:You actually just described a big problem of democracy.

People, in large numbers, who won't have to live with the choice they made decided for people who will.

Well in 99% of elections that result won't last more than 4 years, this one is different though, and that is perhaps an argument against referendums

Last edited by BarrileteCosmico on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DagenhamDave Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Jay29 wrote:Anybody see this from Farage btw?

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/746218028195426305

Politicking 101: don't say part of your campaign was a mistake when people have voted because of that mistake.

And this guy is one of the most influential men in the country :facepalm:

Also:

Thing is farage never said all that money would go to the nhs. The 350 million figure was on the vote leaves group bus. Not farages grassroots out campaign. Hes not even an mp
DagenhamDave
DagenhamDave
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Jay29 wrote:Also:

rofl reads like an Onion article
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:57 pm

You dumb tits, Brits.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:08 pm

M99 wrote:
Unique wrote:
RealGunner wrote:

Imagine you are living on little money provided by the government so you can find an actual job but you can't because you are uneducated and spend most of your money on Alcohol and shit.

Your neighbour is a foreigner who works in a factory and earns more. He can afford most of the stuff you can't. Then you see 5-10 of those types of foreigners in your area. They have now opened shops and stuff because of the money they earned. While you still can't be bothered improving your own life

you start feeling contempt against them. Why are they living so happily and you aren't? you feel like they are stealing your job and your money because this is your country and it should be 'your right' to it and not theirs.

That is the immigration problem we have in poor areas of England.

But this is different to uncontrolled immigration which Tom mentioned.
yeah it's got nothing to do with schools being over crowded or a housing shortage has it. I mean people don't care about the nhs being run into the ground because it can't cope with the overload. No people are only worried about imagration because some polish dude owns a shop. What a load of bollox mate.

Are you offended because he described you?
I'm no more of a benefit scrounger than you are a terrorist mate. but hey. you never know Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Unique Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Jay29 wrote:
RealGunner wrote:No idea where Basildon is but it sounds like a made up name

This is where I live rofl

Thurrock

It's like someone drunk is trying to say THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO VOTE LEAVEEEE

About 20 mins away from where I live and a shithole rofl

So anyway, I woke up and found the pound coins in my wallet have disintegrated. Was supposed to be doing grocery shopping today but now worried a tin of smart-price beans is going to cost me £30.

But it's okay because when I'm on my farm in Cornwall I can grow my own beans. Thumbs up
so your a Basildon lad. you live right across the drink from me. Thumbs up
Unique
Unique
BOSS MAN

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:23 pm

DagenhamDave wrote:Thing is farage never said all that money would go to the nhs. The 350 million figure was on the vote leaves group bus. Not farages grassroots out campaign. Hes not even an mp

Even still, imagine waking up this morning, having voted Leave for the sake of increased NHS funding, only to find out you voted on a lie or half-truth? It doesn't matter now as the votes have been cast but for me the idea that such a huge, unprecedented decision has been made on the back of misinformation is concerning.

so your a Basildon lad. you live right across the drink from me.

Born and raised in Basildon to parents from Romford, though I can't say I identify much with Essex culture.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:24 pm

The biggest concern is how democracy can be so dangerous when left to a bunch of retards on either side of any vote who know literally nothing yet can change the world.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:24 pm

I rarely get political, but I hope the result of the EU referendum for those of us who are legitimately concerned about where government is leading humanity has taught us a few things about not only the UK and the EU, but the rest of the world because politics work the same everywhere else. Number one it has to put to rest the incredulous notion that people in power and of higher class are white supremacist/racists. This ideology that wealth, white supremacy and racism go hand-in-hand is severly untrue and a hand played by political parties to get the attention and support of the masses who are on the other side of the class and ethnic scale. Blind following and blind nationalism is a result of this. Resulting in political parties/leaders making promises that will rarely ever be eventuated. Just look at Nigel Farage, the leave campaign promised that money would go to the NHS but when asked today he said there are no plans in motion for this to happen. But most importantly, look at the relationship between remain/leave voters and education. Highly educated and multiethnic regions such as London, Manchester and Cardiff all voted to remain in the EU (I'll leave Scotland out because they had more varied reasons to vote remain). While Little England, the lesser educated and lesser culturally diverse regions overwhelmingly voted in favour of Britain to leave the EU. Could it ever be more obvious that level of education plays a more crucial role in the decisonmaking which creates power dynamics and wealth distribution across the population and this whole fracas leads to xenophobia and racism? This is how people like Farage and Donald Trump gets us. I hope the US and the rest of the world are paying heed.

Important to note that I'm not generalising here, Tom. But I'm talking about majorities.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next