Firenze
S
Art Morte
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Biggest flops of the season - Page 4 Empty Re: Biggest flops of the season

Post by farfan Wed May 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Bayern will just end up increasing their transfer budget to whatever the mid-range in this inflated market is. They'll be fine.

farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:At the end of the day it doesn't much matter if Bayern have the money and don't want to spend it or if they simply don't want to spend it. How much is their top transfer? 40m? Perfectly average players go for that these days.

If they keep to that kind of strategy pretty soon they will get priced out by mid table PL teams.

So what? We'll do just as well, or rather better, with our midprice strategy as other clubs with their record spending.

Which were the crazy money transfers in recent seasons?
Di Maria, Martial, Pogba, Neymar, Dembele, Morata?

All monumental flops for those prices, basically. Even spending 90m € on Higuain didn't improve Juventus one bit.

I don't think Bayern will stay faithful to that strategy for long. They haven't spent that much in this inflated market because their core players were bought before the market went belly up. But now, their best players are ageing and they have to replace them with the best in the market if they want to stay competitive.

You and Madrid have to spend big pretty soon to replace the ageing stars, and I don't see how you could manage that without a massive warchest. You can't expect to buy another Ribéry or Robben for 25m in this crazy market.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

The Demon of Carthage wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:At the end of the day it doesn't much matter if Bayern have the money and don't want to spend it or if they simply don't want to spend it. How much is their top transfer? 40m? Perfectly average players go for that these days.

If they keep to that kind of strategy pretty soon they will get priced out by mid table PL teams.

So what? We'll do just as well, or rather better, with our midprice strategy as other clubs with their record spending.

All monumental flops for those prices, basically. Even spending 90m € on Higuain didn't improve Juventus one bit.

I don't think Bayern will stay faithful to that strategy for long. They haven't spent that much in this inflated market because their core players were bought before the market went belly up. But now, their best players are ageing and they have to replace them with the best in the market if they want to stay competitive.

You and Madrid have to spend big pretty soon to replace the ageing stars, and I don't see how you could manage that without a massive warchest. You can't expect to buy another Ribéry or Robben for 25m in this crazy market.

Of course not. Inflation is inflation. 25m were not cheap then, it was a sizeable sum. 25m then are like 50m € now.

Liverpool bought Salah last summer for what, 50m €? It is possible to get top players in such price range.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Higuain certainly improved us, it's fiction to believe otherwise. He was easily our best player last season, which was quite a good season for us and this season, while he's been far less consistent, has still done his part and was the only reason we made the quarter finals in the CL.

I mean, unless by your logic the only way for Juventus to improve would be winning the CL, and this would never fall on any one player- let alone Higuain. He's absolutely improved our starting 11 though and even in a down year, outscored the majority of his predecessor #9s on Juventus for the better part of the last decade.

I'd be ok with selling him though, just wanted to clarify your point

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 pm

My point was not that Higuain is not a top striker who did improve you in that position.
My point was that I would argue, spending the bulk of the crazy money you got for one single player for another one single player didn't improve you as investing smartly in 2-3 players would have done- after all, you got weakened in other areas. Same goes for United in that equation.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Beyond Suerez I would say referees, for somehow again getting Uefadrid into the final.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:My point was not that Higuain is not a top striker who did improve you in that position.
My point was that I would argue, spending the bulk of the crazy money you got for one single player for another one single player didn't improve you as investing smartly in 2-3 players would have done- after all, you got weakened in other areas. Same goes for United in that equation.

I get what you're saying and maybe it didn't warrant a lengthy reply on my part, apologies.

I'd alter your first point to say Higuain certainly improved us in that position but it was more marginal than a 90M price tag would suggest

Luca
J Council Master

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:

Sure you can definitely find good buys in the <40m market, but let's not get carried away and think you have a chance at Dembele Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4