+3
Raptorgunner
Jay29
SamuelJayC
7 posters

Go down

Swansea v Arsenal FA cup preview Empty Swansea v Arsenal FA cup preview

Post by SamuelJayC Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Swansea City v Arsenal, Sunday 6th January 1.30pm, Liberty Stadium, FA Cup 3rd Round, ESPN

Swansea v Arsenal FA cup preview Olivier+Giroud+Arsenal+v+Swansea+City+Premier+XFq5xSu2JCXl
Giroud & Chico are set to go head-to-head again this weekend

Notable third round ties

Saturday:
Brighton v Newcastle (12.30)
Spurs v Coventry (3)
Man City v Watford (3)
Southampton v Chelsea (3)
West Ham v Man United (5.15)

Sunday:
Mansfield Town v Liverpool (4)

Monday:
Cheltenham Town v Everton (7.45)

Another chance for silverware arises

With the turn of the year came another home truth; It's now 8 years and counting since Arsenal won a trophy. As everyone is well aware, the Gunners haven't lifted silverware since Patrick Vieira held the FA cup aloft in the Millennium Stadium following a penalty shoot-out win against Manchester United. This season's FA cup begins again this weekend, and a trip to Wales to take on Swansea City awaits Arsene Wenger's men.

There were groans from gooners when the third-round draw was made last month, which was unsurprising. Michael Laudup's side have beaten Arsenal in their last two meetings, scoring five times, too. It goes without saying, Wenger and his players could have done with an easier tie, particularly with Premier League clashes against Manchester City and Chelsea on the horizon.

"It’s a difficult tie, but of course we want to come out on top," the Arsenal coach said on Friday, "The FA cup is something special because it is exciting, it is watched all over the world." Wenger has promised to field a strong side - "without considering any rotational desire" - though a few changes are still predicted.

Swans fly high under Laudrup

Last summer, Swansea appeared to enter something of a mini-crisis. Coach Brendan Rodgers and star midfielder Joe Allen left for Liverpool, the loans of both Gylfi Sigurddson and Steven Caulker ended and winger Scott Sinclair left for Manchester City. But the Welsh side didn't over-react, when some might have. Dane Michael Laudrup replaced Rodgers, while a new talented crop of players arrived - Pablo Hernandez (Valencia), Sung-Yong Ki (Celtic), Michu (Rayo Vallecano), Chico (Genoa) and Johnathan De Guzman (Villarreal). But still the question remained, how long would it take for all these new faces to gel? The answer was one game.

A 5-0 demolition of QPR on the opening day of the season showed that Laudrup and Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins meant business. Fast forward to January, and the Swans have lost just 2 of their last 12 league games and sit ninth in the table. And Jenkins has promised Laudrup funds to spend this month; "There will be one or two players coming in." The club appear to be growing into a real force in England's top-flight.

Match Facts

* This will be the fourth FA Cup tie between Swansea and Arsenal, but the first since 1968. Swansea won the first meeting between the sides in 1926 but have since lost the last two.

* In 19 previous FA Cup ties with teams from the same division, Swansea have progressed just four times and on neither occasion in the last three years.

* Arsenal haven’t failed to make the Fourth Round of the FA Cup since 1996.

Team News

Arsenal

Wenger has confirmed he will field his strongest side, only replacing "one or two should they need a breather".

Fabianski (ankle) and Mannone (ill) are unavailable, while Santos (muscle) and Diaby (thigh) are back in training, but not yet match-fit. The availability of Gervinho (African Nations) is not yet known. Djourou is in Germany completing a loan move to Hannover.

Swansea

Taylor (knee) remains the only absentee.

With games against Chelsea (Capital One cup semi-final) and Everton (league) both coming up, Laudrup could rotate against Arsenal.

Swansea v Arsenal FA cup preview AbD1hGaaB

Arsenal bench - Martinez, Koscielny, Sagna, Ramsey, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Swansea v Arsenal FA cup preview Empty Re: Swansea v Arsenal FA cup preview

Post by Jay29 Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Other notable tie: Southend vs Brentford. :coffee:

My hope for this game is that Arsenal learned from their first encounter with Swansea at the Emirates this season and try to disrupt Swansea's passing rhythm. We're in for a difficult afternoon if we just stand off them and play reactive football like we have been doing recently.

Their front three is threatening but not nearly as dangerous without the control and service their midfield three brings. Whoever is in our midfield three (I reckon Coquelin and Ramsey may get starts) needs to nullify that trio.

Overlapping fullbacks may prove an issue, too, if we can't control the game. There may be space behind them on the break, but I'd rather we penned them back.

I think we'll see:

Szczesny

Jenkinson --- Mertesacker --- Vermaelen --- Gibbs

Ramsey --- Coquelin --- Wilshere

Walcott --- Giroud --- Gervinho

Subs: Martinez, Koscielny, Sagna, Arteta, Cazorla, Rosicky, Chamberlain

Though I could easily see Rosicky starting instead of Wilshere and Walcott starting down the middle again.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Great Job as always Sam

Not going to be a easy game but I am really looking forward this game.

I think we will go with the this line up. Not expecting changes from starting line up. I am expecting 2 new players.

------------------Szczesny

Sanga --- Mertesacker --- Vermaelen --- Gibbs

--------Arteta --- Rosicky --- Cazorla

Ramsey--- Walcott --- Podolski

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by furiouswindbottom Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:02 am

Won't get to see it Sad

I get all PL games live but NO FA Cup for some reason, even though I do have ESPN/Star Sports here. Streaming is not an option here as all streams are too slow after Sopcast was blocked.

0-0 written all over this one.
furiouswindbottom
furiouswindbottom
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 pm

We get the chance to take revenge for the defeat at the emirates. But above that, we need to win this and progress into the next round as FA cup might be the only trophy we have a chance in to win this season.

Swansea will be dangerous and they are very good at home nevermind away. I think we will play a strong team but with few players like Ramsey or Gervinho starting too. Giroud should play upfront imo. Hopefully Mertesacker is back.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Arsenal.com says Gervinho won't be involved tomorrow because of him going to AFCON.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Former Arsenal defender, Kyle Bartley might start tomorrow

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swansea-City-s-Kyle-Bartley-set-surprise-start/story-17767780-detail/story.html
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Nice preview Sam Thumbs up

My line-up would be:

Szczesny
Jenko Merte Kos Gibbs
Coquelin
Rosicky Ramsey
Walcott Giroud Cazorla

Just feel we should freshen up some things, we looked lethargic the last time around against Swansea.
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down