3. Man City 63pts
4. Arsenal 62pts
-----------
5. Spurs 56pts
6. Everton 54pts
-----------
15. Swansea 29pts

1000th game went pear-shaped, but Arsenal have no time to dwell

"There is no rational explanation other than the quality of our opponents. Why? We don't really know." That was Arsène Wenger's understanding of his side's capitulations this season away to the three sides above them. The heavy losses at Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea - all on a Saturday at 12.4pm - have brought about fierce criticism of the players and staff at Arsenal. Despite the boss' reasoning of the costly defeats at the Etihad, Anfield and Stamford Bridge, it would seem tactics and mentality have also played a major role in those three games. Why, in the latter two, were the Gunners out of the game inside the first 10 minutes? Why were the team so open, with both fullbacks in the opposition's half in the first few moments of the game? Why have Arsenal conceded half (17) of their Premier League goals this season in those three losses?

"It is unacceptable to lose another big game like this," Saturday's skipper Mikel Arteta told the club's website. "It is embarrassing on a football pitch in that situation. The good thing is we have a lot of things to play for." The bad thing, though, is that Arsenal's confidence will have been massively dented by yet another huge defeat and the club now sit 7 points behind leaders Chelsea. However, Tuesday night offers a chance for Wenger's side to cut that gap to 4 points and further cement a Champions League position - although Spurs, Everton and Manchester United should continue to push Arsenal all the way in that respect.

After Swansea, Manchester City visit the Emirates on Saturday evening before a trip to Everton next weekend. Then comes that FA Cup semi-final at Wembley against in-form Championship team Wigan. It's time to respond.

Laudrup and Monk both fail to convince as Swansea stutter

At this stage in 2011-12, Swansea were 10th. Last season, they were 9th. This time around, Garry Monk's side sit 15th, just 4 points above the relegation zone. Where did it all go so wrong? Well, Swansea's record pre and post their 2013 League Cup success makes for interesting reading.

41 Premier League games before winning League Cup: W14 D12 L15
41 Premier League games since winning League Cup: W9 D11 L21

Whilst not an extravagant difference, the increase in defeats has left the Welsh side in a bit of a pickle down near the bottom of the table. Monk's men haven't won in 5 League games and have lost 9 of their last 14 in the top-flight. The club's only victories in 2014 have come against the League's bottom duo, Fulham and Cardiff. However, Monk believes his team are better than the table suggests.

"I believe that," the former defender said before the trip to London, "but good teams tend to get results from good or bad performances, and we haven't been clinical enough in taking the chances created."

Match Facts

* There have been eight goals scored in the last 10 minutes of the last five meetings in all competitions between Arsenal and Swansea.

* Arsenal have lost none of their last 13 Premier League home games (W10 D3), conceding just four goals in that run.

* There has never been a league draw between Arsenal and Swansea with the Gunners winning five and the Swans four of the nine meetings.

* The Gunners have not conceded a first half goal in any of their last 11 Premier League matches at the Emirates.

* Only in 2011-12 (39) have Arsenal conceded more goals after 30 games of a Premier League season than they have this campaign (34).

Team News

Arsenal

Koscielny (calf) joins Ramsey (thigh), Özil (hamstring), Wilshere (foot), Diaby (knee), Ryo (hamstring), Monreal (foot) & Walcott (knee) on the injury-list. Chamberlain & Gibbs have both been cleared to play after the FA accepted the club's appeals.

Swansea

Bartley (hamstring) is the club's only absentee.

Arsenal v Swansea Preview AbGCm7xalQ

Arsenal subs: Fabiański, Jenkinson, Bellerin, Källström, Gnabry, Podolski, Sanogo

Swansea subs: Tremmel, Amat, Taylor, de Guzmán, Lamah, Pablo, Michu

Thumbs up
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Arsenal v Swansea Preview Empty Re: Arsenal v Swansea Preview

Post by RealGunner Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Nice work mate.

Just one word could sum up about tomorrow's match

Reaction.

We need a strong positive reaction. No one is interested in apologies. No one wants excuses. Everyone wants a reaction.

I do hope we drop half the players who constantly underperformed in big matches. But can't see it. Maybe few.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

excellent work

i want to see

Bac---Per---Verm---Gibbo
-----Flam---___Arteta---
AOC-----Rozza---Santi---
---------Yaya------------

similar set up to everton in Fa cup

flam should stay put and shield the back 4 and avoid stupid challenges
Arteta ahead of him,moving higher up and closing down

should stop them passing it easily and offer counter attacking threat with attacking trio interchanging freely

Rosicky in no Özil but one his strengths is that he knows how to position himself based on where others are[no more 433 pls]

i remember we left their RB free and with middle congested they used him as an out-ball, should take care of that and protect the flanks
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Nice job Sam.

I dont have a good feeling about this game, I hope we can get all 3 points because on the weekend we will be tested again and it could get ugly.

I just hope I dont see Giroud, we really need to score goals and having a player who plays in slow-motion will not help.

Lets see how we respond? bounce 

Last edited by Raptorgunner on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 pm

I hope there is at least 5 changes to the team, a lot of faces I dont want to see just yet.

--------Fabianski
Jenk---Per---Verm---Gibbs
-----Flam---Kallstrom---
Oxlade-----Rosicky---Santi---
---------Yaya------------
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:51 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Wenger ready to drop Arteta, Szczesny and Giroud for Swansea clash after humiliating defeat against Chelsea

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2588846/EXCLUSIVE-Wenger-ready-drop-Mikel-Arteta-Szczesny-Olivier-Giroud-Swansea-clash-humiliating-defeat-against-Chelsea.html#ixzz2wzCzIs4o

Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:12 pm

'EXCLUSIVE' Wenger to rotate a little bit in the Swansea game ahead of Arsenal's clash with Man City.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:'EXCLUSIVE' Wenger to rotate a little bit in the Swansea game ahead of Arsenal's clash with Man City.
Why play the worst players against top team? Rolling Eyes  Laughing 

Nothing will help, Man city will be another blow out, I can see us conceding around 6 goals if we are lucky and the defense has A game. Crying or Very sad
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm

We've lost a grand total of one league game at home all season. Beat Liverpool 2-0, drew with Chelsea 0-0 (a week after we lost 6-3 to City), beat Spurs 1-0, drew with United 0-0. At home we're absolutely fine.

Hopefully tonight we see a reaction from the team. Even if we only win 1-0, as long we see a very good performance I'll be encouraged.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm tempted to watch this game instead of the Manchester one; does that mean I'm unrealistically hopeful of you dropping points or just find United that boring to watch? hmm
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm

As Jay said, it's more about the response today.
I want to see a big positive response, coupled with the 3 points of course.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Art Morte wrote:I'm tempted to watch this game instead of the Manchester one; does that mean I'm unrealistically hopeful of you dropping points or just find United that boring to watch? hmm

Or both eco smile

(still watched the derby, though)
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down