Robespierre
rwo power
Kick
13 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Formula 1 2014 Empty Formula 1 2014

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:02 pm

new regs, new faces, massive changes both technically and personnel here and there in the paddock, we are in for a kick-a... season!!!!

will update this topic in detail for now, I would love to hear from all of you loyal F1 fans!!!

Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Formula 1 2014 Empty Re: Formula 1 2014

Post by Kick Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Really looking forward to it, hopefully it's much more of an even field this year.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:25 pm

was about to explain the massive changes for this season... but

here is better video from official formula 1 website itself.. .

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/3/15539.html

the engine is a completely new animal, V6 turbo charged ERS 1.6-litre compared to 2.4 v8 ... revving upto 15000 rpm and will produce 600 bhp with additional bhp from energy recovery..

narrow front wing, that means the endplate falls in the worst possible position right infront of the tires, that means designers have to think of how its going to affect overall downforce, no beam wings, no more coanda effect exhaust and the exhaust is a single centralized exhaust. no more exploiting motor holes in diffuser, shallow rear wing, fixed gear ratio, fuel limited to just 100 kg compared to 140 or 160 i forgot. only 5 engines this season , gear box i forgot. break by wire system... . and the whole shebang...

anyway, this is going to be incredibly complex season for sure, both from fans, drivers, engineers, media perspective this is the most complex rule changes to date in f1, and yea this would a thinking-man's season. both drivers has to collaborate extremely well when it comes to fuel management, race strategy how to use energy efficiently and when!
the goal is the efficiency.

i heard somebody from the team saying that F1 uses less fuel in the whole season than the commercial airline consuming fuel from .. say London to Tokyo... unbelievable. and that was last season's quote. 100Kg a race is incredible.

will update more about pre-season testing and how teams are doing but it seems that all Mercedes powered teams - are doing exceptionally well, ferrari's are oK, however there has been recent twist regarding the fact that ferrari engines are so thirsty that by mid race they will have to think about fuel saving and they are likely to fall down ... says Ted Kravitz .. pit lane reporter from sky sports f1, and not just him , its been thought of many from different media sources.
red bull woes continues with serious reliability issues, with both renault engine department and their design issues with overheating.
Lotus pretty much have same issues, perhaps lotus and red bull are in worst possible situation to the point that there is a likelyhood that even marussia and caterham could well score their first points.

finally on Pirelli, tires management is still going to be key to performance, however Pirelli has said that this year they have made more conservative and durable tires compared to last season, and they will have in-season tire testing arrangement for further evaluation.

anyway will update more cuz i am so busy with college and work stuff and i am missing so much stuff here my fellow friends about rules and changes and god knows what... so anyone's contribution will be greatly appreciated. guys everyone should watch f1.. this is truly going to be massive season!

Last edited by JespSwe on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Well, so far it looks as if Red Bull will have some difficulties for starters. ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:48 pm

JespSwe wrote:was about to explain the massive changes for this season... but

here is better video from official formula 1 website itself.. .

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/3/15539.html

the engine is a completely new animal, V6 turbo charged ERS 1.6-litre compared to 2.4 v8 ... revving upto 15000 rpm and will produce 600 bhp with additional bhp from energy recovery..

narrow front wing, that means the endplate falls in the worst possible position right infront of the tires, that means designers have to think of how its going to affect overall downforce, no beam wings, no more coanda effect exhaust and the exhaust is a single centralized exhaust. no more exploiting motor holes in diffuser, shallow rear wing, fixed gear ratio, fuel limited to just 100 kg compared to 140 or 160 i forgot. only 5 engines this season , gear box i forgot.. and the whole shebang...
drivers and car weight has been reduced in which teams protested and it has been raised again which i will further update about it. thats why many drivers are going super dieting.. you are not gonna recognize lewis hamilton!!! he is gone so f.. k skinny i thought at first he smoked pot and look all thin and mellow lol ... fernando has lost weight, rosberg, and so many other drivers...

anyway, this is going to be incredibly complex season for sure, both from fans, drivers, engineers, media perspective this is the most complex rule changes to date in f1, and yea this would a thinking-man's season. both drivers has to collaborate extremely well when it comes to fuel management, race strategy how to use energy efficiently and when!
the goal is the efficiency.

i heard somebody from the team saying that F1 uses less fuel in the whole season than the commercial airline consuming fuel from .. say London to Tokyo... unbelievable. and that was last season's quote. 100Kg a race is incredible.

will update more about pre-season testing and how teams are doing but it seems that all Mercedes powered teams - are doing exceptionally well, ferrari's are oK, however there has been recent twist regarding the fact that ferrari engines are so thirsty that by mid race they will have to think about fuel saving and they are likely to fall down ... says Ted Kravitz .. pit lane reporter from sky sports f1, and not just him , its been thought of many from different media sources.
red bull woes continues with serious reliability issues, with both renault engine department and their design issues with overheating.
Lotus pretty much have same issues, perhaps lotus and red bull are in worst possible situation to the point that there is a likelyhood that even marussia and caterham could well score their first points.

finally on Pirelli, tires management is still going to be key to performance, however Pirelli has said that this year they have made more conservative and durable tires compared to last season, and they will have in-season tire testing arrangement for further evaluation.

anyway will update more cuz i am so busy with college and work stuff and i am missing so much stuff here my fellow friends about rules and changes and god knows what... so anyone's contribution will be greatly appreciated. guys everyone should watch f1.. this is truly going to be massive season!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:53 pm

rwo power wrote:Well, so far it looks as if Red Bull will have some difficulties for starters. ^^
red bull have put less than half of the lowest mileage made by merc team with lowest mileage.

lotus too.

their major problem is lying with renault, renault even came out and said, they have been seriously behind, and marco helmut of Red Bull are saying that the team is possibly 2 months behind work.

their problems lies especially with ERS, and heating issues in which most suspect its red bull's packaging designs which is bringing serious issues with overheating.

there is a possibility that red bull wont even finish half the race... in melbourne. all will depend upon how much they have done in this 2 weeks time from final bahrain testing to friday practice in melbourne.

same with LOTus ... LOTUS was super cocky saying that they made a right decision in not taking part in first test at Jerez and putting more effort on factory and now they cant even tick mark basic issues thats going on .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Mercedes works team has put almost 5000 km total in both jerez testing...

all customer merc teams has put almost 4000 km in avg
ferrari engine teams are second when it comes to mileage after merc teams.
renault teams are worst... with red bull just 1711 km total lotus just 1288 km with persistent engine, ERS and other issues.

from ferrari mclaren camp, they think that williams and Mercedes are in best position right now.

there was a bizzare report, but i dont find it too genuine but some believe that Merc are so damn good that they are gonna lap everybody.... but i dont believe it.

merc should be good but lol its too good to be true..

so my pecking order is

Merc
Williams
Mclaren
Ferrari
Force India
Sauber
... and so forth..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:03 pm

and btw Nikki Lauda recently said that...

well before that, remember that by March the engine development will be frozen for this season, just to let you guys know what it means is that any performance related development will be restricted to all engine manufacturers and will have to report to FIA .. reliability is allowed but they need to prove to FIA strictly that they haven't put any performance related development when working on reliability in their report.

according to Nikki Lauda, he said that Renault came up requesting for deadline extention in engine development in which both Merc and Ferrari said F..K no!!!

so basically renault can only work on reliability and if indeed Merc and ferrari has performance advantage, Renault cant do anything about it the whole season, because renault was given plenty of time ... same fair advantage and time when new engine rules was announced.

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Well, I seem to remember that one pundit said that the Red Bull looked very good in the curves as the aerodynamics were pretty good again. So the main problem lies with the Renault engine and the ERS, so if they sort that out, the car might not be that bad in the end.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

rwo power wrote:Well, I seem to remember that one pundit said that the Red Bull looked very good in the curves as the aerodynamics were pretty good again. So the main problem lies with the Renault engine and the ERS, so if they sort that out, the car might not be that bad in the end.

oh thats the best thing about Red bull, performance wise, aerodynamic wise, they have some magic on their sleeves.

there is no question, that Red bull will sort the reliability issues out, and they will be best team, ... the question is when, and by the time everything has been sorted out, will it be too late for them...

perhaps red bull underestimated the demands of the cooling, and the complexity of the engine-recovery system package.

newey has always been kind of a guy who designs his cars in a way that everything is so compact and closely packed for aero / performance advantage ... even if it means risking reliability ... or controversially ... safety.

this year the complexity of the technical stuff is really i mean crazy... its not just performance, its really reliability, efficiency teams have to think about.

not just all performance ...

so there is a possbility that retirement or not finishing race will be very common this season

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Kick wrote:Really looking forward to it, hopefully it's much more of an even field this year.

not quite even field but I would say , since all teams are having reliability issues, anyone can be a surprise...surprise top teams or flop... i had been following bahrain test... i was amazed cuz in most testing, its like teams have issues but they fix it and they come out... but now if they have problems most teams had to abandon the whole day of testing and fix overnight, with teams having to work 24 hours, and testing crew divided from day crew and night crew....

you know .... last season if during qualification .... if teams had engine problems... engine changes would take like about 30 min to 1 hour...so teams have had plenty of time to fix it and come back in qualifying ... now it would take 3-4 hours just to change engine...  Shocked 

basically... if you will have problems in qualy... with engine or even ERS... you are likely to miss qualy..and start from the back! Shocked 

thats how serious it is... i was gobsmacked.. engine change would take that amount of time!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Curious to see the Ferrari with 2 top pilots (and not 1 top and second fiddle) , it didn't happened since 1990 with Prost and Mansell.
At the time it didn't work , now we'll see...
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Robespierre wrote:Curious to see the Ferrari with 2 top pilots (and not 1 top and second fiddle) , it didn't happened since 1990 with Prost and Mansell.
At the time it didn't work , now we'll see...

my thoughts on fernando and kimi is that now they are both grown men. they have won so much already and i think they respect the fact that both had fierce rivalry but they respected each other as rival and now they should as team mates and fighting for same cause but they know they need to respect each others race. and that would be the case. i dont think fernando will be pissed off, because kimi didnt give him enough space or all those heat of the moment things.. no i doubt that. fernando could have said that to other drivers but i dont think he has same views against kimi  

for fernando, he will have no favor whatsoever because i doubt that kimi will accept the kind of a request that massa had to accept by obligation (who knows it was contractual..) i dont think kimi signed with ferrari to play second fiddle. kimi knows that he doesnt need F1, and F1 needs him. he could have chosen to do anything he likes just like he did with rally and walk away because his return from sabbatical years has been really a success... with wins and multiple podiums. lotus really should be grateful he got lot of points for them.

, it would be really a challenge. kimi is a good benchmark for him to compare but i think by now i guess fernando wouldnt care much. all he wants is next championship and i think he will fight for it. same goes for kimi. if they were both young like of vettel age i could have seen some uneasilness but not at this point where both have won so much and are mature drivers.

i think it would be respectful battle between both for sure. i have never heard fernando saying anything negative about kimi nor kimi saying anything bad about alonso.

what is good for ferrari is that they have undoubtedly the best pair of drivers... after lewis and nico, and they need a good car..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm

My prediction

1. Drivers Championship?

Nico Rosberg...
its going to be very close... between Lewis and Nico
and I rate Lewis equal to Nico but by feeling I think Nico will pull it off

2. Constructors Champion?

Mercedes AMG F1

3. Best Grand Prix of the season?

Australia - Lot of retirements

4. Surprise driver of the season?

Valteri Bottas

5. Surprise team of the season?

Williams Martini Racing / Force India

6. Biggest controversy?

Double points in Abu Dhabi.. which is b.s!!!

7. Best rookie?

Kevin Magnuesson

8. Who will win the Ferrari intra-team battle - Alonso or Raikkonen?

Kimi Raikkonen

9. Who will win the Williams intra-team battle - Bottas or Massa?

Bottas

10. Will Marussia or Caterham score points?

Marussia

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:58 am

Sebastian Vettel christened his new car "Suzie", which looks somewhat boring after names like Kinky Kylie, Hungry Heidi and the like. Personally I'm pretty sure it has an adjective, too - I bet he is calling her "Stupid Suzie" or similar whenever the car breaks down ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:03 am

Less than 2 days until FP1 :proud:This last week before Aus GP is taking longer than the whole off season  Mad

I just can't wait to find out where Ferrari stand.First rumors was their engine was 100 horse power weaker than Merc...Ferrari posted the top speed in testing with 340 kmh which implies a powerful engine,but reports emerged that's because the engine consumes too much fuel and they had to run a low aero setup to reduce drag,hence the high top speed.But Alonso posted purple time in S2 in Bahrain,which is the twisty one.If he had a low aero setup,that should have been his worst sector.

The were slow in their race simulations,but it's been said they couldn't use their ERS at full power due to problems with the unit.They were over a second down on Massa and Merc in low fuel runs,but reports are Ferrari ran with higher fuel.

Basically everything contradicts itself,I just can't wait to find out.It seems Ferrari have a "secret" weapon with fuel consumption,saying they use the electric engine for throttle while downshifting,which results in fuel saving.Merc think they made a mistake doing this,but Toyota said their LMP1 car uses something similar and that it's a great solution.

The biggest problem Ferrari have is the car driveability IMO.The rear end of the car has a mind of it's own...Raikkonen kept going of track because he would lose the rear end under straight line braking in testing.He also spun and crashed the car when he tried to put the power down while going out of a corner.This seems to be the main problem,Ferrari can't control the power delivery from the engine to the wheels and that's why they don't use their ERS to full power.

Main thing is that this is a software problem,probably can be solved with some clever engine mapping which they said they'll try to solve come Melbourne.There are also reports that Ferrari are sandbagging and have used their own timing points for the test.Well,the answers will be here soon.

Can't wait  cheers

Last edited by Vibe on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:14 am

My biased outlook...

1. Drivers Championship?

Raikkonen.

2. Constructors Champion?

I think this is the year when everything will come together for Ferrari.

3. Best Grand Prix of the season?

Australia - carnage is guaranteed

4. Surprise driver of the season?

Ricciardo

5. Surprise team of the season?

Williams Martini Racing

6. Biggest controversy?

Double points in Abu Dhabi.. which is b.s!!!
Agreed.

7. Best rookie?

Ricciardo, does he still count as a rookie?

8. Who will win the Ferrari intra-team battle - Alonso or Raikkonen?

Kimi Raikkonen

9. Who will win the Williams intra-team battle - Bottas or Massa?

Massa

10. Will Marussia or Caterham score points?

Marussia
Agreed.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 am

Hm... I think I'd love Kimi Räikkönen to win the WDC if Sebastian Vettel doesn't get it this time. banana
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Fixed gear ratio, that sounds boring, that's pretty much the only tweaking I've done to the car in driving simulator games eco smile

Sounds like a lot of changes. Too many?

Are these cars with the smaller engine as fast as last season's cars? Or less reliable if they have to get more out of a smaller engine? I'm a novice in these matters.

Ferrari's boss, what's his name, Domenicalli or something like that, had criticized the tyre and fuel saving, that drivers still won't be driving at the limits for a whole race.

I'm surprised you lot have faith in Räikkönen beating Alonso. Kimi's my countryman and therefore I obviously hope he wins, but Alonso just seems to be a level above him.

Anyway, hopefully the races won't be as boring (or made artificially interesting) as last year, although I fear the worst.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Meh, Kevin Magnussen will win :coffee:
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:03 am

great first race. It had a bit of everything, it's a shame that the only thing missing was competition at the front.

Kudos to Nico for getting the win, he deserved it.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:56 am

Kick wrote:great first race. It had a bit of everything, it's a shame that the only thing missing was competition at the front.

Kudos to Nico for getting the win, he deserved it.

Not even a word for Dan?

The race was a bit boring to be honest...
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:59 am

I'm a kiwi so I have to hate the guy Wink

I enjoyed it, there was drama, overtaking and like I said, only missed a battle at the front. It was an improvement over last season by far, mostly because Vettel didn't get pole and drive away with the win.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:15 am

LOL didn't realize that,always thought you were Australian Laughing

On track action was lacking IMO,seemed like more overtaking was done in the pit lane.You could tell some cars were cruising in fear of pushing it and breaking something.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:32 am

Many people do, mostly because I live in Australia too.

There was a lot of overtaking in the early stages tbf.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next